Lady Vols vs. Alabama Game Thread

It's called coaching. It's the coach's job to get that potential out of every recruit. Players come in as rough rookies who were stars in high school and they want to be stars in college and beyond. It's up to their coaches to help them achieve that, to help them grow. Holly's not doing a thing for her player's, year after year. If I were a top hs player, I wouldn't look twice at Tenn under Holly. I would want to go somewhere like UConn, Baylor, ND, Stanford, etc where I know I'm gonna be pushed, challenged, and prepared for whatever's next. Seriously.

I’d probably go for Staley, Vanderveer, or Schaefer.

Holly is doing her best fire me or ill embarass your program impersonation i tell ya. I havent seen a lady vol team this bad ever. Thats saying alot with our few bad teams these past 5-6 yrs smh. Even with the 11 loss team with Diamond and Tea i still felt we could make a run in the NCAA's. This team doesn't even deserve a bid at this point. Who knows maybe a first WCBB tournament without the only team to ever participate in each year will WAKE UP someone in the athletic department in Knoxville.
Yep. It will be another record broken

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
They need to become a 3 point making team (they certainly took enough tonight)... Hell they need to become an any shot making team, let alone the damn 3 ball. How do you get 80... yes EIGHTY shots up, double them up in O boards which results in 12 MORE shots for your team & you STILL lose by more than 20 points? I watched the game live and I still can't believe the box score. It's crazy.

That's why I specified who should be shooting them. Westbrook, Davis, and Jackson are the only ones I would allow to shoot threes. Everyone else has a red light until they can improve their shot. Especially Green, it's rare to see a shooting form that ugly at this level.

That's why I specified who should be shooting them. Westbrook, Davis, and Jackson are the only ones I would allow to shoot threes. Everyone else has a red light until they can improve their shot. Especially Green, it's rare to see a shooting form that ugly at this level.
I don't think she wants to cut anyones minutes though. There was no urgency from Davis or Jackson all night but she put them back out there after the freshman got them back within a couple buckets. I mean that decision alone was odd. Z. Green was the only reason the first half wasn't a complete mess, even w/ her shooting form. At least she was playing w/ a purpose. Then in the second half Burrell stepped up. No one knows who the leader is it seems. Everyone is just out there kind of lost and trying to make a bucket and the defense well... you saw it. At one point there were 4 lady vols chasing 1 player. They might as well scrap the zone defense until they actually learn how to play it.

I don't think she wants to cut anyones minutes though. There was no urgency from Davis or Jackson all night but she put them back out there after the freshman got them back within a couple buckets. I mean that decision alone was odd. Z. Green was the only reason the first half wasn't a complete mess, even w/ her shooting form. At least she was playing w/ a purpose. Then in the second half Burrell stepped up. No one knows who the leader is it seems. Everyone is just out there kind of lost and trying to make a bucket and the defense well... you saw it. At one point there were 4 lady vols chasing 1 player. They might as well scrap the zone defense until they actually learn how to play it.

I gave up watching the game sometime in the 2nd quarter. I figured Tennessee would bumblef**k for 3 quarters and keep the game close, and then blow them out of the water in the 4th quarter like they usually do against terrible teams. Imaging my surprise seeing the result this morning and having it be Alabama doing the "sleepwalk then crush 'em in the 4th strategy". I could comment, but I'm sure there's nothing I can say that probably hasn't already been said.

As for the team leaders...

Zaay Green shot 6-18
Rae Burrell shot 5-17

Tennessee lost by 21 (24 until Evina hit a meaningless 3 at the buzzer while Alabama was celebrating their win)

Green and Burrell had career "highs" (if shooting 33% and 29% can be considered a "high"), and Tennessee got blown out of the game. It's not Zaay/Rae that will save this team. Evina, Meme and Rennia have to come each and every night for them to have a chance. Holly stuck with the freshmen and they lost bigly against a terrible Alabama team.

I gave up watching the game sometime in the 2nd quarter. I figured Tennessee would bumblef**k for 3 quarters and keep the game close, and then blow them out of the water in the 4th quarter like they usually do against terrible teams. Imaging my surprise seeing the result this morning and having it be Alabama doing the "sleepwalk then crush 'em in the 4th strategy". I could comment, but I'm sure there's nothing I can say that probably hasn't already been said.

Zaay Green shot 6-18
Rae Burrell shot 5-17

Tennessee lost by 21 (24 until Evina hit a meaningless 3 at the buzzer while Alabama was celebrating their win)

Green and Burrell had career "highs" (if shooting 33% and 29% can be considered a "high"), and Tennessee got blown out of the game. It's not Zaay/Rae that will save this team. Evina, Meme and Rennia have to come each and every night for them to have a chance. Holly stuck with the freshmen and they lost bigly against a terrible Alabama team.
Do you think Warlick has lost the team? Davis seemed totally dejected and disinterested for most of the game.

Holly Warlick's coaching debut was an 80–71 loss to the Chattanooga Lady Mocs in Chattanooga on November 9, 2012. In her first year as head coach, -Wikipedia

If this wasn’t a sign of things to come nothing was.

I was at the game too, as others have commented. That UTC team was coached by Wes Moore, who I contend should be the next coach of our Lady Vols. He won 76% of his games at UTC, 84% of his conference games. UTC owned the Southern Conference for the large majority of the 15 years he was there. He now is in his 6th year at N.C. State and has a record of 129-51. They are 17-0 this year. Great coach and great guy. Get Wes while there is still a remnant of something for him to start with in Knoxville!

It should also be pointed out that Wes went 25-8 in his first year after taking over for Kellie Jolly Harper, who went 17-17 in her last year.

Do you think Warlick has lost the team? Davis seemed totally dejected and disinterested for most of the game.

It looked like it. Zaay, Rae and Kasi still looked fired up, but frankly, they're not good enough to carry the team.

I commented that Rennia looked miserable during the Georgia presser, and wasn't sure if I was reading right or that was just her body language. After watching the first half of last night's game, it seems my original intuition was correct. She looked completely checked out, and it seems she didn't play much. Unless she was sick or injured, that is a very, very bad sign (almost as bad a sign as that 3-pt attempt that hit the backboard and may have counted as an assist when it landed in Zaay's hands for a short jumper.

If Rennia has shut down for the season, then it will be a long one. Sure, you can put Rae Burrell in her place. Rae gives energy, hustle and a shooting percentage in the low 30s for 2s and 20s from beyond the arc...but I'm guessing that won't bother ND, MSST, SC or a bunch of other teams left on the schedule.

Tennessee should take note how MSST responded to losing Bibby in the opening minute of last night's game. THAT is how you step up...not scoring a "career high" 12 points on 5-17 shooting in a 21 point loss to a 9-8 team.

I was at the game too, as others have commented. That UTC team was coached by Wes Moore, who I contend should be the next coach of our Lady Vols. He won 76% of his games at UTC, 84% of his conference games. UTC owned the Southern Conference for the large majority of the 15 years he was there. He now is in his 6th year at N.C. State and has a record of 129-51. They are 17-0 this year. Great coach and great guy. Get Wes while there is still a remnant of something for him to start with in Knoxville!

It should also be pointed out that Wes went 25-8 in his first year after taking over for Kellie Jolly Harper, who went 17-17 in her last year.

Wes was also a GA under Pat at UT which is why i have said before he would most likely walk over broken glass for this job! And he would have UT again as a national power contending with Geno, Kim, waltz and others for National Titles!

It looked like it. Zaay, Rae and Kasi still looked fired up, but frankly, they're not good enough to carry the team.

I commented that Rennia looked miserable during the Georgia presser, and wasn't sure if I was reading right or that was just her body language. After watching the first half of last night's game, it seems my original intuition was correct. She looked completely checked out, and it seems she didn't play much. Unless she was sick or injured, that is a very, very bad sign (almost as bad a sign as that 3-pt attempt that hit the backboard and may have counted as an assist when it landed in Zaay's hands for a short jumper.

If Rennia has shut down for the season, then it will be a long one. Sure, you can put Rae Burrell in her place. Rae gives energy, hustle and a shooting percentage in the low 30s for 2s and 20s from beyond the arc...but I'm guessing that won't bother ND, MSST, SC or a bunch of other teams left on the schedule.

Tennessee should take note how MSST responded to losing Bibby in the opening minute of last night's game. THAT is how you step up...not scoring a "career high" 12 points on 5-17 shooting in a 21 point loss to a 9-8 team.

Stir that pot. Everything you write shows contempt and vile for the LV program. You appear to be on a one man crusade to introduce dissension across the fan base. SIT DOWN.

Stir that pot. Everything you write shows contempt and vile for the LV program. You appear to be on a one man crusade to introduce dissension across the fan base. SIT DOWN.

And everything you write shows...absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not even filler. Worse than eating styrofoam.

I look forward to your next inane comment. Carry on.

Wes was also a GA under Pat at UT which is why i have said before he would most likely walk over broken glass for this job! And he would have UT again as a national power contending with Geno, Kim, waltz and others for National Titles!

He may be the most underpaid coach in women's basketball for what he achieves and can achieve. He would be a homerun hire that would lead us back to relevance. I want a coach that can match whits with the current top coaches in the game. He fits that criteria.

Zaay Green shot 6-18
Rae Burrell shot 5-17

To be fair this is the first time Rae has played 32 mins so i think knocking her is point less. Meme and Davis are the reason we are on a 4 game free fall.

To be fair this is the first time Rae has played 32 mins so i think knocking her is point less. Meme and Davis are the reason we are on a 4 game free fall.

I don't want you to think that I'm knocking her. I think she has potential, but she is raw as hell. Rennia is not. That is why I believe it's Rennia who has to be willing to step up. If she doesn't, then the team has no chance. Even if Rae is willing to step up, she doesn't have the flat out skills that Rennia has.

If you take Meme and Rennia out of the team, Tennessee would still be on a 4-game skid. I don't believe that the answer is to replace them, because frankly I don't think any of the options are at the same level. They need to show up. Like, every night. And yes, I'm not putting it just on the players. Coaching has been an issue, but the coaches and players need to figure it out and get them back to the level they were playing earlier this year. Even the Stanford loss was one where they played at a high level. That level is enough to be a top 10 team, and pushing a little harder can make them a E8 team.

I don't want you to think that I'm knocking her. I think she has potential, but she is raw as hell. Rennia is not. That is why I believe it's Rennia who has to be willing to step up. If she doesn't, then the team has no chance. Even if Rae is willing to step up, she doesn't have the flat out skills that Rennia has.

If you take Meme and Rennia out of the team, Tennessee would still be on a 4-game skid. I don't believe that the answer is to replace them, because frankly I don't think any of the options are at the same level. They need to show up. Like, every night. And yes, I'm not putting it just on the players. Coaching has been an issue, but the coaches and players need to figure it out and get them back to the level they were playing earlier this year. Even the Stanford loss was one where they played at a high level. That level is enough to be a top 10 team, and pushing a little harder can make them a E8 team.

Agreed if these two were on there game we wouldn’t even be talking about a skid. Also it’s a trickle down affect because now E has the pressure to have to do more when the scoring was more evently distributed we saw E playing really well and playing free now not so much! I also liked her off the ball.

It’s seems as if Rennia is always falling away from the basket instead of drawing contact. I LOVE Zaays energy be maybe she needs to be the spark off the bench and put Mimi in at the 4.

Anyways I said in another post a change probably needs to come... who is it people want to see lead the LV? If a change is made it needs to be done early after the season so these players get to know the coach (and hopefully stay) while also staying in on some of the top 2020 class!

People expected Meme and Davis to step up and be leaders and that isn't happening. Neither wants to lead or be the go-to person. Lately, neither one wants the ball. They hesitate, then pass up shots, forcing one of the FR to chuck it up. Fixing the problem starts with fixing what's wrong with Meme and Davis. Both are capable of so much more and if they're going to hang their heads on the bench instead of fighting through adversity, this team is going to lose a lot of games.

VN Store

Back