Lady Vols Turnovers - Nationally

Players don’t age out of it. They have to be held accountable with consequences. Apparently they are not or else the consequences are mild.

If he was relevant about modern women's basketball he'd still be coaching he's an old fool and he'll say anything to get news don't quote him. Yes turnovers are bad, however the fast break ones, being aggressive are ok, the telegraphed passes are not, and, Kellie cleaned them up in second half of Vandy game in their coaching unfriendly game, Horston only had 2 turnovers. My grip on turnover is feeding the post at waist level, put the ball up!

It's true that we could be a formidable team with only normal turnovers. As Chitown pointed out, we did a nice job taking care of the ball in second half. And I'd rather have a shot clock violation late in the game with a 10-point lead and getting to set up defense than to rush a shot and give up a quick transition bucket.

We'd have less turnovers if players outside would wait for cutters and screens instead of reflexively dribbling. Of course, that assumes that teammates will move without the ball.

Speaking of which, I thought we had much better off-ball movement in second half.

If he was relevant about modern women's basketball he'd still be coaching he's an old fool and he'll say anything to get news don't quote him. Yes turnovers are bad, however the fast break ones, being aggressive are ok, the telegraphed passes are not, and, Kellie cleaned them up in second half of Vandy game in their coaching unfriendly game, Horston only had 2 turnovers. My grip on turnover is feeding the post at waist level, put the ball up!
I'm sure he knows much more than you do about the game. NO turnover is good especially when they are unforced. We played a team tonight that below average and looked absolutely horrable on both ends. Sloppy passes, lazy passes, impossible passes well we had them all. Guards dribbling the ball in front of them and having it taken away. This should not be happening this late in the season. We know that rebounding and defense win games and championships, and we heard tonight from Tamika Catchings (one of the greatest to wear the orange) that those two were her main concern. Those are correctable with some coaching and preparation. They NEVER block out to rebound, always try to out jump the opponent. That got them beat by Stanford, Uconn, Kentucky, and without a Miracle Alabama would have beat them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they are not taught or are not held accountable. It's always good to get a win and YES she is better than we had a year ago. Playing under Pat and being head coach at other schools she has to know the x's and o's so stop with the nice back patting coach approach and demand the girls play Lady Vol basketball. Everyone has young players so this far in the season this should not be an excuse.

Turning the ball over is bad enough but we haven't done very well at forcing other teams into turnovers. Vandy is the turnover king and they only committed 10 last night.

Bottom line: we still aren't very good. Better than last year, but have a ways to go to be an elite team again. It will take better recruiting and coaching of the fundamentals, along with creative offensive & defensive strategies. Almost as important, the culture must get back to championship mentality like it was when Pat was there. Several programs have surpassed us and it is tough to climb back above them again. Hopefully Kellie is the one to get the job done.

Reactions: PG1 and RollerVol
It's awful... CKJ caht get the attention of some of these prima dona 's .. and her 1st year she ain't gonna sit those responsible .. so some on team ain't gonna change

It's awful... CKJ caht get the attention of some of these prima dona 's .. and her 1st year she ain't gonna sit those responsible .. so some on team ain't gonna change

bench the whole team...:D...Coach Kellie has accomplished much with the team she has now...she's having a harder time working with the team on the TO problem...baby steps...we'll get better...I promise...;)

GO LADY VOLS!

bench the whole team...:D...Coach Kellie has accomplished much with the team she has now...she's having a harder time working with the team on the TO problem...baby steps...we'll get better...I promise...;)

GO LADY VOLS!
Amen

I'm sure he knows much more than you do about the game. NO turnover is good especially when they are unforced. We played a team tonight that below average and looked absolutely horrable on both ends. Sloppy passes, lazy passes, impossible passes well we had them all. Guards dribbling the ball in front of them and having it taken away. This should not be happening this late in the season. We know that rebounding and defense win games and championships, and we heard tonight from Tamika Catchings (one of the greatest to wear the orange) that those two were her main concern. Those are correctable with some coaching and preparation. They NEVER block out to rebound, always try to out jump the opponent. That got them beat by Stanford, Uconn, Kentucky, and without a Miracle Alabama would have beat them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they are not taught or are not held accountable. It's always good to get a win and YES she is better than we had a year ago. Playing under Pat and being head coach at other schools she has to know the x's and o's so stop with the nice back patting coach approach and demand the girls play Lady Vol basketball. Everyone has young players so this far in the season this should not be an excuse.
Wow! I didn't realize just how easy it was to coach a major college basketball team. Just DEMAND that they do it right and it happens. I can be pretty demanding, maybe I should apply to be the replacement.

Your correct and by the way Who was our coach and what did she DEMAND?
She didn't have to demand, it was expected. No one wanted to run the risk of being melted by "the stare". Do you believe she had that much clout in year 1 of her illustrious career? She built the team literally from the ground up, so it took a minute or two before she could say "make it so" and it happened without question.

Reactions: twoffo
I'd like Kellie to address our problem bringing the ball in bounds.

Several times, V almost got a 5-second count on us, and we had to lob ball over their heads beyond the free tbrow line. Dangerous passes, especially against quick leapets who can tip the ball toward their basket and be off to the races.

Meanwhile, Vandy seemed to have no problem getting the ball in and often foumd wide-open cutters for close shots. Seems that we depend far too much on our shot-bl9cking abilities but give up unguarded mid-range jumpers and threes.

GO LADY VOLS!
You make to much sense

Turning the ball over is bad enough but we haven't done very well at forcing other teams into turnovers. Vandy is the turnover king and they only committed 10 last night.

Overall quickness is lacking but with the height we don’t need to play tight we just need to stay in front and make them shoot over us. That style will not force a lot of turnovers. If we however, played a team like that we would maybe have 14 TO trying to make passes that should remain in pickup games. I am beginning to feel it will take a tournament lost where we shot 55% from the floor on 50 shots. The other team shot 38 % on 70 shots a few treys was 11 of 15 from the ft line and we lose 76 to 75 with 26 TOs and 7 of 13 from the FT line. I know how much it would hurt me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan2012
I just love it when people think our players are not coached to box out. Seriously?
LOL you can't make it up. Last week someone asked if they were banned from practicing outside shots in practice. Or if the ever shoot free throws in practice. Yeah, they cut it short cuz the coaches want to make Happy Hour at Chili's.
Don't know why I keep trying, but once again here's the odd assertion that t.o.s or any bad play is the result of either diva players who don't give a damn how they play (in front of 10,000 fans and a t.v. audience) or of lack of awareness of the importance of not making those mistakes. So naturally, some form of punishment is in order. Run em! Glare at em! Grab em by the jersey and chew them out publicly! Maybe they could have a time out corner at the end of the bench, even a dunce cap to wear,

Fortunately, the coaches are way smarter and realize its a lack of skill and development, especially in decision making, not naughty selfish behavior, that causes turnovers. Teaching, coaching, drills and skills are far more effective, but they take time. Benching for on-the-spot teaching can be very effective, but you have to have the luxury of a deep bench. KJH has shown willingness to do this even if it hurts the actual game in progress and we have criticized her for this!

IMO, if the situation doesn't improve, especially by next year, its fair to assess whether its a lack of developable skill in the players or a lack of skill teaching in the coaches.

Players don’t age out of it. They have to be held accountable with consequences. Apparently they are not or else the consequences are mild.

I still see too much Holly "good cop" in Kellie, I would like to see her light up a player occasionally like Pat had to...

Reactions: LadyVol1908

VN Store

Back