Lady Vols Softball

Off to Champions showcase this evening. One game today, 2 games tomorrow, 2 on Sunday..

Send any recruits you'd like to have a boots on the ground report on (travel team name). I'll be going back and forth between Twin Creeks and Hobgood. 16U division. WIth the new-ish recruiting rules I'm expecting to see more power 5 coaches at the 16u games, where as before 2018 a lot were at 14u fields. Curious to see how it plays out, as this is the first full blown showcase in probably 20 months? Maybe I'm wrong? Feel free to correct me.

Will be curious to see who is representing GA this weekend.

Wife and I saw where Harding was from during the first game. Wife said “I bet Karen never offered her anything. She’s to busy digging around out west to find a gem in Tennessee.”

UT may have thought she would play the same position as Rylie West, since they both played catcher in high school. What's strange is she played for the Fury and we've recruited many Fury players over the year and landed quite a few (including some players that were on the roster this season), although most wound up being role players at best. No telling if UT had recruited her if she would've had much interest. I will say that West and Thompson were both outstanding players in high school in California that put up monster numbers and played for the same travel team in the Corona Angels, which won the 18U Gold championship last summer. West in particular hit over .500 in high school her sophomore and junior years and was hitting .600 her senior year when COVID shut things down. But Harding would've made a great addition to the class, should there have been any interest and/or money available.

At the 16u hobgood field now. I’m literally looking at a field that has two ATL Vipers teams playing and another warming up. The big names used to matter.

With that said, it’s good to see quite a few slappers both soft and hard. Coach attendance not as high as I was expecting

Also, if you go to a showcase and are not a college coach, don’t wear any college gear. It can confuse the travel ball coaches, players, and parents when you see someone in a UT shirt. While most know who the Weekly’s are, keep in mind at these showcases assistants often are dispatched as well. So how many people know what the assistant at UT looks like? If I saw Tim Walton I would know it. But if I saw an assistant I would have no clue.

It’s more like ties, but they don’t always list it as such. Bama and JMU tied for 3rd because they both went 2-2 in OKC. UCLA and Oklahoma State tied for 5th (both went 1-2). Arizona and Georgia tied for last (0-2).

UT may have thought she would play the same position as Rylie West, since they both played catcher in high school. What's strange is she played for the Fury and we've recruited many Fury players over the year and landed quite a few (including some players that were on the roster this season), although most wound up being role players at best. No telling if UT had recruited her if she would've had much interest. I will say that West and Thompson were both outstanding players in high school in California that put up monster numbers and played for the same travel team in the Corona Angels, which won the 18U Gold championship last summer. West in particular hit over .500 in high school her sophomore and junior years and was hitting .600 her senior year when COVID shut things down. But Harding would've made a great addition to the class, should there have been any interest and/or money available.
Old rule of keeping your best players at home, if they go elsewhere you better had made your best pitch and so obvious it hurts the fans that the chose to go elsewhere. Never want to find out you missed/big timed on a Tennessee kid when they are playing in the WS.

But Harding would've made a great addition to the class, should there have been any interest and/or money available.

Kalie and my daughter played HS ball for 3 year on Blackman. I had many conversations with her mom during her recruiting process. My kid was getting recruited too and we would tell each other stories. Caitlyn McCrary was also in our district (same year as my daughter) and had verballed to UT during her 8th grade year, which was Kalie's 7th grade year. Kalie camped at UT I believe during her 6th or 7th grade year. Even during this time, she was as good or better than McCrary - she was a bigger and better athlete even back then. I know that UT never made an offer to her, because Kalie stopped contacting them after the camp. She continued to camp at Bama and FSU through her junior year when FSU made the offer to her. It is a full scholarship. My kid played for Frost Falcons for many years, and we played at all of the same tourney's that both did. McCrary with the Bolts and later with the Sparks. It was obvious watching her in TB that she could not hit the faster pitchers. She's a sweet kid, but she punched above her weight class as a hitter for a long time. She rarely had a good night against our HS pitcher, and we faced Siegel 3-4 times per year. Kalie was the opposite, she was a monster against power pitchers but sometimes struggled against off-speed stuff.

Almost identical with Cheyenne Lindsey, except she verballed to Walton early in her 9th grade year. UT never reached out to her and she moved quickly to go with Florida. She tore her ACL on the next to last game during her last summer of TB, it was very heartbreaking. She went to FL and rehabbed and got in as a freshman. Just watching these 2 kids when they were obviously the "tip of the sword" athletes even as young kids, why on earth UT did not go full court press and make them top priority in their respective classes is mind boggling.

Also, any casual observer at TB tourney's could tell that Anna Hazelwood was a decent pitcher but not even close to the same level as Rogers or Arnold. My kid hit a dinger off her at Summit that went way over the #7 field with Marty watching. I think we beat them 12-2 that night.

Just my opinion, but these head scratching offers that they make (or don't make) is why there is a lot of hard core lady vol fans who wish for a change at the top. And yes, this includes me.

Last edited:
Caitlyn McCrary was also in our district

I thought a little about what I wrote last night. I came off a little too critical of KK. I actually think she is a very good softball player, and could be a top hitter on an MTSU or UTC if she decided to go mid-level D1. She's probably an above avg defensive player, although I'm basing that on how she did back before college. Wherever she does land, I hope the best for her.

I imagine those discussions will be put on hold until after the Vitello situation gets solidified. I imagine KW is watching that closely.
Not sure about discussions, this has been in motion behind the scenes for months. Just timing on when, but agree it'll come after the men's world series.

I thought a little about what I wrote last night. I came off a little too critical of KK. I actually think she is a very good softball player, and could be a top hitter on an MTSU or UTC if she decided to go mid-level D1. She's probably an above avg defensive player, although I'm basing that on how she did back before college. Wherever she does land, I hope the best for her.

That's fair. And not critical at all I felt in how you framed it... two players, one was better but Tennessee chose to go with another less talented. One persons on-hand experience and opinion, I appreciated the view because it was the story of Tennessee and why we are having these discussions.

That's fair. And not critical at all I felt in how you framed it... two players, one was better but Tennessee chose to go with another less talented. One persons on-hand experience and opinion, I appreciated the view because it was the story of Tennessee and why we are having these discussions.

:)

Majors - hope your TB season goes good for you also. I'm glad we don't have to travel around as much any more, but was some of the best memories of softball life.

Reactions: Majors

I don't think you were overly-critical. The Weeklys have offered several in-state players that were better off going mid-major while passing on other players with much more potential. Hazelwood, Phillips, and McCrary all immediately come to mind there, and maybe even Osbron, as do a couple more that are still on the roster. Of course, some players are perfectly fine being in a supporting role at their dream school. Others I feel like seemingly thought they were going to play a much bigger role, and those are the ones that usually wind up leaving.

I'm glad you brought up Cheyenne Lindsey because a lot of people were scratching their heads over that one.

Not sure about discussions, this has been in motion behind the scenes for months. Just timing on when, but agree it'll come after the men's world series.

Right no I'm just thinking if I were her/them I would try tie to finalizing whatever is left to do with the Ralph issue (assuming the plan it not 100% finalized)/her pay/facility upgrade in a packaged discussion that piggy backs off what happens with Vitello. Doesn't mean Danny White will entertain it that way but if I were her thats the way I would try and frame it.

Kendall Rogers has speculated if we keep Vitello it could be $1M+ with major facility upgrades so there is no way Karen is going to sit there and say well thats great for him without also thinking about upping the ante for herself. Not to mention based on the program trend its the only angle she has leverage for something favorable for herself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majors
I don't think you were overly-critical. The Weeklys have offered several in-state players that were better off going mid-major while passing on other players with much more potential. Hazelwood, Phillips, and McCrary all immediately come to mind there, and maybe even Osbron, as do a couple more that are still on the roster. Of course, some players are perfectly fine being in a supporting role at their dream school. Others I feel like seemingly thought they were going to play a much bigger role, and those are the ones that usually wind up leaving.

I'm glad you brought up Cheyenne Lindsey because a lot of people were scratching their heads over that one.

Thanks volman. I can't recall if you are currently doing the TB circuit or if someone other than Majors. If so, good luck and enjoy while it lasts. :)

Right no I'm just thinking if I were her/them I would try tie to finalizing whatever is left to do with the Ralph issue (assuming the plan it not 100% finalized)/her pay/facility upgrade in a packaged discussion that piggy backs off what happens with Vitello. Doesn't mean Danny White will entertain it that way but if I were her thats the way I would try and frame it.

Kendall Rogers has speculated if we keep Vitello it could be $1M+ with major facility upgrades so there is no way Karen is going to sit there and say well thats great for him without also thinking about upping the ante for herself. Not to mention based on the program trend its the only angle she has leverage something favorable for herself.
That won’t go over well for Karen unfortunately, especially with the contract up after next season. She has the right to ask for more money/upgrades etc but the product for a raise won’t match the timing for her. Next coach if a move is made will have that luxury in 2-3 years if the program is back to competing at the top of the SEC/Nationally.

VN Store

Back