Lady Vols - National Anthem

And for that reason...go uconn.
Yup, after learning this, I’d rather UCONN to win, can’t believe I said that. So disrespectful to still not show respect for the anthem. These so called basketball games, wouldn’t even be possible if it weren’t for those who fought for the freedom and privilege to play college basketball.

FYI: I learned over on the Gamecock board that they didn't skip the anthem out of protest, but in order to not alter the normal timing/order of how the had prepared in the pre-game all season.

From their board:
WBB was not on the court for the anthem. It was not a protest. It was due to timing and the pregame routine. They followed the same pregame schedule they always use, and the anthem was performed while they were in the locker room. They chose not to change their routine. If you were at the game, you noticed that the pregame got off-schedule (they wheeled out smoke machines and then never used them).

Edited to add: Contrary to some reports, the anthem is played at South Carolina home pgames.

FYI: I learned over on the Gamecock board that they didn't skip the anthem out of protest, but in order to not alter the normal timing/order of how the had prepared in the pre-game all season.

From their board:
WBB was not on the court for the anthem. It was not a protest. It was due to timing and the pregame routine. They followed the same pregame schedule they always use, and the anthem was performed while they were in the locker room. They chose not to change their routine. If you were at the game, you noticed that the pregame got off-schedule (they wheeled out smoke machines and then never used them).

Edited to add: Contrary to some reports, the anthem is played at South Carolina home pgames.
If that is correct, I’ll pull for SC again. 🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Because hating your country is cool..

Never have understood this…..if it’s that bad, the freedoms this country provides is you can freely leave it if you don’t like it. This ”being cool” must stop or we will not have a country and those that “hate it the most” will “suffer the most”. Freedom ain’t free.

Never have understood this…..if it’s that bad, the freedoms this country provides is you can freely leave it if you don’t like it. This ”being cool” must stop or we will not have a country and those that “hate it the most” will “suffer the most”. Freedom ain’t free.
Identity politics.

It is wonderful that they have the freedom to protest like that. They must live in a pretty sh**** country that doesn't even allow them to go to school, let alone dress how they want, go where they want, worship or not how they want, or even talk to people in public without a male relative present.

Taliban Nixes Girls Higher Education Despite Earlier Pledges

To be clear, the United States is far from perfect. However, if the irony of the fact that they are protesting the anthem of the country that allows them to protest its anthem isn't just as thick as molasses on a winter day then I don't know what is.

It is wonderful that they have the freedom to protest like that. They must live in a pretty sh**** country that doesn't even allow them to go to school, let alone dress how they want, go where they want, worship or not how they want, or even talk to people in public without a male relative present.

To be clear, the United States is far from perfect. However, if the irony of the fact that they are protesting the anthem of the country that allows them to protest its anthem isn't just as thick as molasses on a winter day then I don't know what is.

'I didnt watch my buddies die face down in the muck...'
9540BCF9-5D50-478C-B8FA-F3D4F9A31F4F.gif

I wonder how Brittany Griner is feeling about the good ol' US of A right now.

Yep...which is why I say I hate the world we live in today.

Also...I'll say this about the national anthem protesting.

1. It's not so easy to just "leave" if ya don't like our country, so that's a pretty dumb thing to say. I get it you can love your country but also want to make it better. Telling people that want to do things to improve the country to "just leave" is ignorant. Not that simple, never that simple and people who don't like Mexico are trying to leave all the time and we see how that's treated.

BUT, even in saying that if you're someone that has "fame" like a celebrity or athlete. Someone with a bit of a platform, kneeling or refusing to be present for an anthem isn't in anyway shape or form doing ANYTHING to further your cause. At least Colin has gone on to do more. The majority of these athletes are jumping on a bandwagon and aren't actually doing anything else. Not putting any real time or money into the cause. Plenty of charities and organizations that exist that could use more than you kneeling for a 3 minute song cause if that's all you're doing then it doesn't help anything.

And "raise awareness" don't keep the lights on, or pay legal fees, or feed mouths.

I honestly don’t get why any nations anthem is played before a sporting event that doesn’t involve an international sporting event with players specifically/directly representing their country.

For example, the World Cup, Olympics, etc. vs. a little league baseball game is Greenville.

I mean I get that it’s our way of saying we “love” our country, but I can think of better ways to do that than playing a song before a sporting event.

Also...I'll say this about the national anthem protesting.

1. It's not so easy to just "leave" if ya don't like our country, so that's a pretty dumb thing to say. I get it you can love your country but also want to make it better. Telling people that want to do things to improve the country to "just leave" is ignorant. Not that simple, never that simple and people who don't like Mexico are trying to leave all the time and we see how that's treated.

BUT, even in saying that if you're someone that has "fame" like a celebrity or athlete. Someone with a bit of a platform, kneeling or refusing to be present for an anthem isn't in anyway shape or form doing ANYTHING to further your cause. At least Colin has gone on to do more. The majority of these athletes are jumping on a bandwagon and aren't actually doing anything else. Not putting any real time or money into the cause. Plenty of charities and organizations that exist that could use more than you kneeling for a 3 minute song cause if that's all you're doing then it doesn't help anything.

And "raise awareness" don't keep the lights on, or pay legal fees, or feed mouths.
To me it's like cussing your mother out cause your father left you

I honestly don’t get why any nations anthem is played before a sporting event that doesn’t involve an international sporting event with players specifically/directly representing their country.

For example, the World Cup, Olympics, etc. vs. a little league baseball game is Greenville.

I mean I get that it’s our way of saying we “love” our country, but I can think of better ways to do that than playing a song before a sporting event.

The reason is additional breaks before/after for TV commercials/ads. It's about selling more ads and making more money hasn't got a damn thing to do with being patriotic or celebrating the country.

NFL added it back in post 9/11 (through ad funding by US Military) to try and increase enlistment numbers.

Reactions: pierce60

VN Store

Back