Lady Vols - Horston Turnover Improvement

Spook1

Ancient Vol
Horston had no turnovers in the game with South Carolina...that is two games in a row with no turnovers. Congratulations on her vast improvement. In the SC game, the LV had only 13 turnovers which is a vast improvement. There was better ball security with fewer steals as compared to the previous two games with a total of 21 steals.

Last edited:
To be honest, on rewatch JH was fortunate on two occasions when what would have been turnovers got fumbled away by So Car. Also, there were still a few ill advised shots. And Walker had 4 t.o., but yes got totally mugged on that last one.

I say this not to disparage their improvement, but to point out when the PGs play just a little better we're a credible threat. If they continue to improve and play really well, we're on fire. Horston did make great strides finishing shots, including two huge drives to bucket with under control shots at crucial points in the comeback. Both PGs ran the team well for the most part, and I think there's no question Harper's plan of trading them off at point is a good one.

One note, JH MUST stop the ingame jawing at the refs. Did it twice, to the detriment of getting back down the court. It's part of getting her head on straight and I think last night was a giant stride forward in that regard overall. Much credit to her for fighting thru her troubles. Like last season, it may be that the view from the bench for a few early mins is beneficial for JH.

Again, if PG play keeps building in the right direction, the tourneys are going to be really, really fun!

Horston had no turnovers in the game with South Carolina...that is two games in a row with no turnovers. Congratulations on her vast improvement. In the SC game, the LV had only 13 turnovers which is a vast improvement. There was better ball security with fewer steals as compared to the previous two games with a total of 21 steals.
what was so impressive was the ball-handling when SC went to the press. I think we turned it over once.

what was so impressive was the ball-handling when SC went to the press. I think we turned it over once.

And the one TO should have been a foul and then a travel. Walker got double fouled at mid-court and then Zia Cooke slid about 12’ across the hardwood with the ball in her hands.

Our ball security was elite in the second half. I don’t remember exactly but I think we had 9 TOs at the half and finished with 13. 4 in a half is just about unheard of for us the last decade.

Point guard play was not perfect by any means but we can win with exactly the play we got last night. In most of the losses point guard play has been the reason for the loss. Against probably guards that rank with anyone in the league we had five turnovers total from the point guard position and 8 assists and 9 rebounds. We had 18 points on 19 shots which is probably as good as we've got this season. If we could get this performance every game I feel good about winning.

Agree, and I have been critical of JH all season, maybe not fairly, but only because you know she has such tremendous upside in talent and wasting it. Maybe this is a reach but I am hopeful she can step up to Rennia's role next season. Has the ability.

Point guard play was not perfect by any means but we can win with exactly the play we got last night. In most of the losses point guard play has been the reason for the loss. Against probably guards that rank with anyone in the league we had five turnovers total from the point guard position and 8 assists and 9 rebounds. We had 18 points on 19 shots which is probably as good as we've got this season. If we could get this performance every game I feel good about winning.

Yep, PG play made the difference. They both brought what we needed from them. Horston was more under control and finished her shots much better. Walker brought the hustle and the fire.

Was surprised Walker only recorded 4 boards. She was in there on a lot of rebounds and got her hands on lots of balls. Didn’t score a bunch but some of her buckets were huge energy plays for us at the right time. The And 1 play was massive and really frustrated SC in that moment.

If we can get that from them consistently we’re in big business.

There was one foul called on Jordan H. where she responded with complete exasperation and on replay, she had good reason to be. Even Carolyn Peck noticed that Jordan had been the one who was fouled.

What stands out to me is that Jordan H and Jordan W made some clutch shots down the stretch. Jordan H. full court drive for a lay-up in the 4th was a thing of beauty and much needed. last season and in the early part of this season, she missed a lot of shots at the rim but has adjusted her shot, getting the ball up higher.

Turn overs wer/are my biggest concern about Horston. Very pleased to see the improvement. I think gotten her off the post has been really good for her. I don't think she will have to go back to the point next year. She should be prime for an excellent reminder of the year and for the next 2-3 years. She has a lot of talent.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back