Lady Vols - Ball Security and Turnovers - South Carolina Game

Just cannot watch this team continue to turn the ball over. Absolutely elementary to be nice with my language.

Losing her starting spot just might be exactly what she needs.
Holly? Did it work before? The one thing that hasn't changed, we still need someone who can push the right buttons and say the right things to the kids when they need it

I was told by Coach Jumper I would need fries with my crow after UT would defeat South Carolina. What is coach eating for breakfast? Anyone that engrossed or into coaching would know UT wasnt going to beat South Carolina on the road. Losing to an average Texas team at home, barely beating LSU and Alabama would be quite obvious the outcome of UT South Carolina. What's next UT will be in the title game? Alabama beat Ole Miss by 1. Its laughable Coach Jumper would even admit UT would beat Sourh Carolina on the road, when UT hasnt beat anyone worth a damn on the road.

I am a realist. But I'm also a coach. And I'll tell my teams what they need to hear. It's up to couch coaches to
tell them what everybody else is saying

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Holly? Did it work before? The one thing that hasn't changed, we still need someone who can push the right buttons and say the right things to the kids when they need it

I am a realist. But I'm also a coach. And I'll tell my teams what they need to hear. It's up to couch coaches you tell them what everybody else is saying

lol
Jump, what you are failing to consider is that on a message board for (mostly) well-informed fans, your super-confident prediction that the Lady Vols were going to beat #1 South Carolina on the road by 10 points served only to hurt your credibility.

On this platform, if you want folks here to think you know anything at all about sports and the athletes who play them, then you may want to find a way to sound super supportive and hopeful without also sounding like you may actually be totally blind and haven’t actually seen any of the teams play.

I understand your “coaches have to project confidence for their players’ sake” schtick. But we’re not the players. If you come to a message board sounding certain that your middle school team is going to beat Team USA, it makes people think, “If he’s so certain about THAT, what ELSE is this guy delusional about? Can we really trust ANYthing he says?”

Do you understand where I’m coming from, Jumper? There’s gotta be some middle-ground there, man! I’m not suggesting you become Dirge_Vol II, but sheesh. Mind your credibility!

It seems like they are playing not to lose instead of playing to win the games.

IMO it's the opposite. They are reckless and need to dial it back and be more risk-averse. Slow down just a bit on the fast break; don't go faster than your brain can think. Take the jumper instead of driving into a double team. Drive, kick and rotate for open 3s. And for the love of Pete, quit forcing the ball into posts that won't fight for the ball.

IMO it's the opposite. They are reckless and need to dial it back and be more risk-averse. Slow down just a bit on the fast break; don't go faster than your brain can think. Take the jumper instead of driving into a double team. Drive, kick and rotate for open 3s. And for the love of Pete, quit forcing the ball into posts that won't fight for the ball.

To be fair to the post players a lot of the passes are just forced and awful.

Probably should not make a prediction that is only based on what you hope happens. Sometimes you need to be a little pragmatic about it.

Yep. I try my best to always be as positive about the team as possible, but I also don't think it's fair to the players to put unrealistic expectations on them. The program is in the process of rebuilding, and this was NEVER going to be a year to expect anything but small, steady steps toward righting the ship. Even when Pat Summitt was in her prime and had some of the best players in the country who were all well-acquainted with her system, there were STILL plenty of times when they came up short -- and even THEN that's just the way it happens sometimes. To expect THIS team in THIS particular season to go into South Carolina and pull off one of the biggest upsets of the year? It's just not fair to anyone. I don't want the players to feel like they've failed anyone by not performing a miracle. They have NOT failed this fan in any way. I'm as proud as I can be for how much they've improved in so many ways this season!

To be fair to the post players a lot of the passes are just forced and awful.

I hear you but it seems like on most of them the post has the defender on their back, ball gets tossed in, defender pokes it out. Drives me nuts; grab the ball, move your body, extend your arms, don't expect that the defender is just going to hang-out back there. It's bad enough that if I were a guard, I would not throw it into the low post.

Reactions: GameTime
I hear you but it seems like on most of them the post has the defender on their back, ball gets tossed in, defender pokes it out. Drives me nuts; grab the ball, move your body, extend your arms, don't expect that the defender is just going to hang-out back there. It's bad enough that if I were a guard, I would not throw it into the low post.

I agree with you 100% they need to learn they need to extend there are to catch the pass. Also i would like to see KJH let Key play thru her mistakes because when she is on the floor she is a different maker. Her offense will come but only with being pushed and banged around. She held Boston without a basket when she was in the game. Let her play that is the only way she will get better.

I don't get the people saying Key plays soft. She has been in a war under the basket the last few games. I think she is tired of getting hammered and nothing being called. It has been frustrating for sure. I was at Stegman when the refs let Humphries and company beat the tar out of Parker but in the end she put them away in spite of that. It takes time to learn and Key will find her spots when she does.

In this fans eyes, Key grew up a lot yesterday....She and Boston battled under the basket like the two giants they are....It was great theater....It was Boston that left the game injured, not Key...

A few more games like this and Key may actually become a basketball player, not just an athlete wearing a basketball uniform...Nine blocks, in that atmosphere, was huge. Bully for Ms.Key!

In this fans eyes, Key grew up a lot yesterday....She and Boston battled under the basket like the two giants they are....It was great theater....It was Boston that left the game injured, not Key...

A few more games like this and Key may actually become a basketball player, not just an athlete wearing a basketball uniform...Nine blocks, in that atmosphere, was huge. Bully for Ms.Key!

I agree. Considering the competition, it was Key's best stat line of the season. Not many points for the point chasers, but she did her job inside.

I agree. Considering the competition, it was Key's best stat line of the season. Not many points for the point chasers, but she did her job inside.

can someone correct me if i`m wrong Boston is 6-5 and i notice when her and Key stood right next to each other Key looked to have a few inches on her. There is no way Key should be listed at 6-5 you think ?

can someone correct me if i`m wrong Boston is 6-5 and i notice when her and Key stood right next to each other Key looked to have a few inches on her. There is no way Key should be listed at 6-5 you think ?

Thank you! I've been thinking that for a long time...Ms. Key is 6'6 at the minimum....(I do wish she had less hair though, it does look heavy)

Last edited:
Reactions: djtee
What I said wasn't just the only reason but they do play not to lose. Just like Uconn has been doing all year until the 2nd half against the Lady Vols.

I think you are correct. We try to force passes where there is no passing lane rather than working for a better angle to pass from. If we dribble without a purpose in mind then it's just time wasted. We need to be looking at angles and openings and sometimes those don't show up right away. You need to make the defense move to force openings to occur.

well, just hope the ladies can reach down inside themselves somehow to find their fighting spirit...surely, they don't enjoy this either...if they don't care, then I'm just wasting my fingers...I know they're better than what we've been seeing...mindboggling...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

lol
Jump, what you are failing to consider is that on a message board for (mostly) well-informed fans, your super-confident prediction that the Lady Vols were going to beat #1 South Carolina on the road by 10 points served only to hurt your credibility.

On this platform, if you want folks here to think you know anything at all about sports and the athletes who play them, then you may want to find a way to sound super supportive and hopeful without also sounding like you may actually be totally blind and haven’t actually seen any of the teams play.

I understand your “coaches have to project confidence for their players’ sake” schtick. But we’re not the players. If you come to a message board sounding certain that your middle school team is going to beat Team USA, it makes people think, “If he’s so certain about THAT, what ELSE is this guy delusional about? Can we really trust ANYthing he says?”

Do you understand where I’m coming from, Jumper? There’s gotta be some middle-ground there, man! I’m not suggesting you become Dirge_Vol II, but sheesh. Mind your credibility!

What you and probably most on here don't understand, is that I post as a coach.
As if I were right on the sidelines with those kids.

That said, I am speaking to the team, not a "single player"
I know this thread gets read by some of those players and they know the name Coach Jumper...that said, I will not tell them they can't do something...Not gonna happen.

The team that made that run in Q3 is the team I want to see and that is the team I speak to...Not the scared little rabbits that started the game or the scared little rabbits that finished it.
I see what they can do, not what the public expects of them.

Sure I could have called for a 20 point blowout,,,but why should I,,,,that's you guys job.
My credibility is not to you or any "fan" on this page and it certainly isn't to troll-Doggs...It is to Coach K, her staff and my players.

So if I lose credibility in your eyes, while inspiring the ones I want to inspire
I can live with that.

I saw a play where Horston dribbled down the entire court very quickly...which I assume is why she was so highly touted. Speed. But when she got to the hoop she literally blindly chucked it up at the rim. There was no actual attempt to make the basket. It reminded me of my 7 year old nephew in that it looked so childish and silly. If THAT is what a great point guard looks like out of high school then no wonder the woman's game is so often hard to watch. That play epitomizes the 2020 Lady Vols. I don't wanna say Horston is stupid...so I guess I won't. I don't believe she even looked at the basket.

I enjoy Coach Jumpers posts and his perspective. I will say predicting a 10 point win AT Carolina was just silly...especially with THIS LV team. I am perplexed at how some of these lady's were highly touted. It must be due to being tall and somewhat athletic...cuz they all look so gawd awful bad at basketball....except for Rennia. KK? Dear Lord....and these brainless turnovers. Not sure if Kellie is telling them to force the ball into the post with triple coverage...but the shear amount of UNFORCED turnovers is shocking. They look like they would throw it away even if they were 5 on 1. I like Kellie though. Its hard to dislike her. Just her demeanor and presence is a breath of fresh air from Holly.

From the very first game, discussion has been on turnovers. Coach is asked about it and continues to say it is a problem. Coaches should be problem solvers. The problem is turnovers, and it does not look like there has been actions taken to eliminate them. Unfortunately, Mississippi State will beat our team by a dozen or more..........Sad. We love our Vols in Arizona!

I enjoy Coach Jumpers posts and his perspective. I will say predicting a 10 point win AT Carolina was just silly...especially with THIS LV team. I am perplexed at how some of these lady's were highly touted. It must be due to being tall and somewhat athletic...cuz they all look so gawd awful bad at basketball....except for Rennia. KK? Dear Lord....and these brainless turnovers. Not sure if Kellie is telling them to force the ball into the post with triple coverage...but the shear amount of UNFORCED turnovers is shocking. They look like they would throw it away even if they were 5 on 1. I like Kellie though. Its hard to dislike her. Just her demeanor and presence is a breath of fresh air from Holly.

Coach K is coming from an environment where the players were not 5 stars, 4 stars,,,they KNEW they needed to improve. Often times, and I have dealt with this myself, when you recruit hi-profile players, they come in having dominated their predecessors and feel they have made it, now bring on the accolades...When I got players like that the first thing I did was look for anything I could to expose a flaw or weakness...Not in a demeaning way, but in a constructive and instructive way.

I pride myself on being a coach nearly impossible to impress. I give "way to go's" by the ton, but I always have a "but you need to______..." in my back pocket. And if an athlete gets full of themself in front of me, I tear em down..."You think you're all that,,, walk the hell off my team and I can't wait to play against you".

That is usually followed by tears, I'm sorry,, and twice the work ethic from before.

Besides Coach Jumper I do not know how many of our posters have had coaching experience but it usually takes more than one season to change the culture. While I agree there should be some signs of improvement, and there are. The glaring issue is too many turnovers. I can’t really say that KJH has come up with a final line up. These are not her players and sometimes that can be a big issue. I can’t tell you that I can guess what Holly’s recruitment objective was, except recruiting five stars. It took KJH two years to change the culture at Mo. State. With what this program has gone through the last seven years, we have to give KJH a little latitude. She is not going to necessarily change things in one year.

VN Store

Back