Lady Vols - Ball Security and Turnovers - South Carolina Game

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The LV had 21 "turnovers" in the South Carolina game. Horston had 7 turnovers and only scored 4 points. Are LV "turnovers" important? Yes, South Carolina scored 28 points off the LV "turnovers" and the LV lost the game by 16 points...if there had not been so many turnovers, the LV could have been in the game to the end. Ball security of the LV is not improving period. If the LV could get their "turnovers" down to under 10 per game, they could be easily in the top 10.

The LV had 21 "turnovers" in the South Carolina game. Horston had 7 turnovers and only scored 4 points. Are LV "turnovers" important? Yes, South Carolina scored 28 points off the LV "turnovers" and the LV lost the game by 16 points...if there had not been so many turnovers, the LV could have been in the game to the end. Ball security of the LV is not improving period. If the LV could get their "turnovers" down to under 10 per game, they could be easily in the top 10.

Again, spot on. It has to be a point of emphasis. Players have to be held accountable. And you can’t just recruit your way to nationally competitive efficiency. That difference-making element has to be crafted.

There have been too many high profile coveted recruits who have played here as of late who have left with only an eyeful of pre-hung championship banners.

Edited to add:
Despite who gets credited with the turnover, effective film breakdown usually exposes that many turnovers (although rightfully technically credited on the stat sheet) can be shared among teammates for a myriad reasons, such as hiding and blending in with the defense, not giving up position to get possession, not creating separation, not sealing the defender properly, giving up on a play, creating a poor angle for the handler/passer, etc.

Last edited:
Again, spot on. It has to be a point of emphasis. Players have to be held accountable. And you can’t just recruit your way to nationally competitive efficiency. That difference-making element has to be crafted.

There have been too many high profile coveted recruits who have played here as of late who have left with only an eyeful of pre-hung championship banners.

Edited to add:
Despite who gets credited with the turnover, effective film breakdown usually exposes that many turnovers (although rightfully technically credited on the stat sheet) can be shared among teammates for a myriad reasons, such as hiding and blending in with the defense, not giving up position to get possession, not creating separation, not sealing the defender properly, giving up on a play, creating a poor angle for the handler/passer, etc.

The point is the LV "keep" having huge number of turnovers and there is no apparent "coaching" activity to correct the situation. Why?

You're very much on point but I'm going to quibble with your math a bit. Suppose we had made half as many turnovers as we committed, it seems logical to assume SC would have scored half as many points or 14 instead of 28. On the other end of the court, suppose on the 10 or 11 possession we didn't give away we scored at 50% which would yield us roughly 10 points. Add up what they didn't score plus what we did score on "saved" turnovers, or 14 + 10 which is 24. SC's margin of victory was 21 so it seems likely that we would have won the game by 2 or 3 points.

Also, another way to look at Horston's propensity to turn the ball over about half a dozen or more times per game and her point total from today, 4, is to ask how many points SC could have scored off three of Horston's turnovers, roughly 6, and ask yourself how much good did Horstons 33 minutes do for the team? She had 0 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 block.

Compare her to Rae Burell who played 26 minutes and had 4 rebounds 5 points 1 assist and 2 turnovers. I like Rae's numbers better.

Compare her to Rae Burell who played 26 minutes and had 4 rebounds 5 points 1 assist and 2 turnovers. I like Rae's numbers better.
Better except that 2-12 fg shooting it took to get those 5 points. Many of those 10 misses were the forced clunker variety we get all too often from Rae.

I'm actually so flumoxed over Horston's Arby's syndrome I actually might want to see Rae start in her place. But I'm hesitant because RB is often disruptive to any offensive flow we might accidentally have gotten into.

This lineup would put huge pressure on Jaz as ballhandler, but so far it seems like she could handle it, literally.

Just read a good article about this game. Quotes from Goldwire and Harper about turnovers before game and after. The coaches our coaching believe me working on various situations in how they our happening. Inexperience and lack of guards is contributing. We need Jordan and hopefully now that she is seeing elite talent she will get better.

I would settle for under 15 a game. I think this is a realistic goal for this team. They would still be a top 10 team.

Reactions: krichunaka
StrangeVol, I think you are double counting. When the LV have a turnover, the opponent gets the ball. If the LV don't turn it over but score instead, then the opponent gets the ball. So the LV lose an opportunity to score but it doesn't give the opponent an extra opportunity.

Horston should be benched. But sadly she's the best we have. No one else can snag a rebound or not turn it over or throw it away. Disappointed in the coaching so far.

OK...let's do some math...69-48=21....not 16...that is your math class for today.

Horston should be benched. But sadly she's the best we have. No one else can snag a rebound or not turn it over or throw it away. Disappointed in the coaching so far.
Losing her starting spot just might be exactly what she needs.

Watched the Minnesota vs Rutgers game and noticed that when Lindsay Whalen saw her players start to get out of control she immediately called a time out to settle them down. She also let her top player go due to a "conflict with the way we do things here".......

Hope Kelli won't be afraid to deal with her players in the same way......know it's going to take time for the Vols to come around but turnovers are major right now. Hope she can figure out a way to make her players understand that.

Go Lady Vols!!

I think when Horston's turnovers start exceeding her points scored its time to sit for awhile. Understand we have no equal to put in there but you have to do something to get her and other players attention to this huge problem. No consequences is not a solution.

Reactions: mcannon1
I was told by Coach Jumper I would need fries with my crow after UT would defeat South Carolina. What is coach eating for breakfast? Anyone that engrossed or into coaching would know UT wasnt going to beat South Carolina on the road. Losing to an average Texas team at home, barely beating LSU and Alabama would be quite obvious the outcome of UT South Carolina. What's next UT will be in the title game? Alabama beat Ole Miss by 1. Its laughable Coach Jumper would even admit UT would beat Sourh Carolina on the road, when UT hasnt beat anyone worth a damn on the road.

Reactions: mcannon1
Again UT needed Davis to shoot an NBA fadeaway to beat Alabama at home at the buzzer. UT beat Ole Miss 84 28, Ole Miss scored 2 points at half versus South Carolina. Yet Bama beat the worst team in the power 5 by 1. But Coach Jumper pointed out UT would beat South Carolina on the road, yet lost by 21. Laughable, to say the least.

just don't get it...playing the No. 1 that's also in your division on TV...the lights never came on...the girls looked lifeless...hopefully Coach Kellie can recruit this attitude out in a couple cycles...but until then...

GO LADY VOLS!

UT best road win is Vandy, and that was a struggle. UT just doesnt have the talent to beat anyone good on the road. Vandy is barely a top 100 team and UT had to pull away late to win. Those are just the facts.

I am a UT grad and love me some UT athletics. But UT has Davis and role players. Good for Kellie rolling along beating no one but LSU at home. UT best road win is 12 and 10 Vandy and that was a fight. Vandy best win all year is Georgia. The facts are all laid out.

VN Store

Back