Lady Vols are gettin' busy Thursday (8/29) through Sunday (10/1)

StrangeVol

Soccer kicks things off with an early-season trip to play 17th ranked Rutgers on Thursday. Right now the video broadcast looks like it might be on a pay site but it might show up on watch ESPN closer to game time. Rutgers usually puts a very competitive team on the pitch so it should be a good contest against our 10th ranked Lady Vols. I think we should win this but you neer know about road matches early in the season.

Sunday it's on to NYC to take on Columbia @ 1:00 and is scheduled to be viewable on ESPN+. I know little about Columbia's soccer program other than they are 4th ranked in the 8 team Ivy League so I'll just hope we'll play well and bring home another win. Seems very likely.

Volleyball takes their turn on Friday night at 8:00 pm (SEC Network) taking on the #6 ranked Illinois which was a final 4 team last season. That's the bad news. The good news is they lost a good bit from last year's team and oddly enough is only picked 5th in their conference while holding the #6 spot nationally. Go figure?

We also lost a good bit from last year but we still have a very solid team with height very similar to Illinois. Being picked 19th nationally and 3rd in the SEC might suggest that we are at a disadvantage against them, but I think it may turn out to be a pretty even contest at TBA as we are much further along practice-wise with our team than they are with theirs. Our European trip is a big plus for us going into what I expect to be a hard-fought 5 setter.

On Sunday we play the second half of this same-season home and home match up, which I don't know that I've ever heard of before. Playing the second game on their home court will be an uphill battle and unless Illinois really surprises me with poor play I don't expect to win this match. If we were to win both....all I can say is Holy Cow! (with respects to the late Harry Carry)

This should be a fun weekend for both squads as well as the growing number of fans that are beginning to follow both teams. I hope it goes well! :)

So what do you guys and gals think?

P.S. Somebody said something about a football game against a team from Georgia on Saturday. Wonder how we'll do? ;)

Last edited:
we're gonna crush Rutgers, Columbia, Illinois, and that team from Georgia...in all sports...WE ARE TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO LADY VOLS...GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I'm not pumped up...just had a strong cup of java...:D

Thanks SV...great stuff, as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As well as being a big soccer fan I am an even bigger volleyball fan and I am so excited to see what this season holds! Season one with Eve Rackham will be a tough one to top, but she has a lot of quality pieces of that team returning and a group of talented freshman to go along with them! From the press releases about the Europe trip and hearing how the exhibition went (I live in Georgia so couldn't go for myself), Tessa Grubbs will be the go-to for kills when we need them. What's going to be important are the steps that others take to help Grubbs out offensively. Lily Felts and Addisyn Rowe should be who to immediately look to, but don't be surprised if you hear Danielle Mahaffey or freshman Morgahn Fingall putting up solid numbers. Fingall is exciting because she's a hard-hitting lefty from the right side which is difficult to defend in volleyball.

I was happy to hear Eve Rackham say she feels confident in her floor defense and blocking. Consistently keep the ball off the floor and frustrate teams you'll be in any match (simple enough right?). Eve Rackham's offensive system is a very quick offense that when the first touch keeps them in system then you give the setter a chance to really challenge the opposing block on guessing where they are going. These matches against Illinois will be a huge test to see where the Lady Vols are at in their development as a program, being picked the finish 5th in the Big Ten means they would probably finish first in a ton of conferences.

we're gonna crush Rutgers, Columbia, Illinois, and that team from Georgia...in all sports...WE ARE TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO LADY VOLS...GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I'm not pumped up...just had a strong cup of java...:D

Thanks SV...great stuff, as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Juan Valdez approves this message.:cool:

...Tessa Grubbs will be the go-to for kills when we need them. What's going to be important are the steps that others take to help Grubbs out offensively. Lily Felts and Addisyn Rowe should be who to immediately look to, but don't be surprised if you hear Danielle Mahaffey or freshman Morgahn Fingall putting up solid numbers. Fingall is exciting because she's a hard-hitting lefty from the right side which is difficult to defend in volleyball...

Yes, unless someone else besides Grubbs can become a consistently strong scoring hitter, opponents won’t even pay attention to any decoy hitters on the line in crunchtime. They’ll put all the blockers on Tessa knowing full well the libero is going to her.

Soccer kicks things off with an early-season trip to play 17th ranked Rutgers on Thursday. Right now the video broadcast looks like it might be on a pay site but it might show up on watch ESPN closer to game time. Rutgers usually puts a very competitive team on the pitch so it should be a good contest against our 10th ranked Lady Vols. I think we should win this but you neer know about road matches early in the season.

Well...so much for predicting wins...the Lady Vols lost to Rutgers 1-nil. Got outshot 2 to 1 and just gave up too many shots on goal and damn few of our own The one good shot we got on goal early was by MA and it was off the top bar. Rutgers defense is for real and they have some offense to go with it.

On to NYC to give Columbia a go. :)

well, we lost 1-0...the road can be a lonely place...those ladies will come back...Coach has something to work on now....:D

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back