Lady Vols and Turnovers - Drastic Improvement

Well if you count missed easy layups as turnovers then it goes way up from ten. Sometimes turnovers don't tell the entire story because really no reason to shoot 40 percent against that team.

You also have to count the level of competition we were,playing also.

If you go back and look at some of the more subpar teams we’ve played in the past we have had some games with over 20 turnovers...

i went back and looked at some of the games in Hollys last season and one game against Florida A&M had 21...

While we know we should not have a high turnover rate against this team can’t take anything for granted.

The Lady Vols had a drastic improvement in turnovers with only 10 for the entire game with UNCG. They have improved the last couple of games. If they can keep the turnovers low, it will win them some close games.

And I see that improvement in Horston

Reactions: Volfan2012
They still commit turnovers, just not so many of the bad (head scratching) type. They are markedly better at all phases of the game even in the post even though they are not handling well enough the physicality other teams are using against them. I can live with turnovers as they are part of an aggressive gameplan. I would be ecstatic if they get to where they play through contact a little better.

And I see that improvement in Horston
I see that improvement in Horston also, and its so crucial to the team's success. But of course improvement for Horston just means now she makes 3 t.o.s a game, not five. As does Davis. They, along with Burrell, are just high t.o. players; Davis always will be, JH might overcome that tendency.

Horston also has lots of assists, and thus the dilemma with her. Her uberfans equate JH with Magic Johnson, and she is Magic-like about half the time. She does have wonderful court vision and makes beautiful dishes and passes. Half the time. The other half she still over dribbles, is indecisive, and ends up forcing a bad play or pass. But she's still young, she has gotten much better, and there's real hope she will up the Magic percentage.

I've said often I prefer Horston at 2 to better utilize her scoring and rebounding talent .JH could team w Davis and Burrell to be a real 3 headed scoring monster. But that requires solid play from the other Jordan, Walker, and I've actually been a little disappointed with her in the turnover dept. She had a couple of very damaging ones the other day when Indiana was coming back, and a couple of careless ones today. Room for improvement there also.

Best case scenario, exactly as KJH has sketched out, the two Jordans can combine into a solid, flexible look, low error pg team.

We can't just look at the number of turnovers and decide what is good or bad because all turnovers are not the same. The silly mindless ones are the ones that drive coaches mad. An offensive foul is a turnover that can be good. You want your players pushing the envelop and being aggressive on the offensive end. Sometimes there are aggressive passes that are a good idea that goes awry. In the mindless category though are sloppy, soft passes and attempting the same thing several times resulting in multiple turnovers. The idea is for the player to learn from the turnover and not make the stupid one again. During the game the assistant coaches should be taking some of these plays and giving instruction of a better way to get the desired result. So good turnovers are ok (not good, not bad). Silly mindless turnovers are awarded with bench time.

Horston is tremendously improved as a decision maker. I wish she was a better shooter and scorer. The way she has played since game one has been excellent she is a defensive stopper that we have needed for a while.

This is why I don’t understand the need to even have bowl games. They are supposed to be a reward for the players. But if the players can’t get out and do anything, why bother?
But this still works out to 7 TOs in 40 minutes which is kind of high. Overall, I think she has been playing better this year. For UT to finish top 4 or 5 in SEC play, she has to have a good year which she is capable.of.

As a non-expert who watches only on television the significant improvements I observe team play.

-playing as a team of five even when the substitutions seem unusual
- defense is a priority for all players, some who do not have the experience nor the footspeed of elite players
- on offence the team runs plays, screens with a purpose and players move constantly.

Am all for the theme of this thread..... and Horston has looked better.... but UNCG is a low bar... I am anxious to see how the season progresses with respect to TOs

Horston is tremendously improved as a decision maker. I wish she was a better shooter and scorer. The way she has played since game one has been excellent she is a defensive stopper that we have needed for a while.

Her offense will come she is in the middle of a transformation as she matures she see more and more the importance of control of ones self. Go big 🍊

Well if you count missed easy layups as turnovers then it goes way up from ten. Sometimes turnovers don't tell the entire story because really no reason to shoot 40 percent against that team.
Turnovers usually lead to easy buckets for the other team. Blown layups are almost as bad. These two areas are where our Lady Vols need to improve. It is good that they are improving in at least one of problem areas. They seem to have forgotten the lost art of using the backboard for layups and shots inside six feet. Using the board makes shooting layup so much easier.

Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back