Lady Vols - 21 Turnovers (Kentucky 28 Points off Turnovers)

and for the love of pete, why is tennessee subbing in harris and mccoy?? they had no business being in this game..harris is constantly out of position, fouls repeatedly, takes ill advised shots she has no business taking..why is saunders not being utilized..she is clearly better than those two
Neither should be on the floor unless it is a dire need situation.

Love our Lady Vols, but I cannot understand how any player can make the lazy, ridiculous passes our girls make routinely.

They either have bad eyesight, or they are simply too lazy to make crisp passes. They can be looking at our player with an opposing player right beside them, and then go ahead and make a lazy pass right into the hands of the opponent.

We could have had a beatdown of Ky, except we seemed to try to give the game away time and after time with those stupid passes.

And combine that with us basically standing and watching opposing players shoot open 3's is a mystery.

We have a better team than Ky, but we simply did not play smart at all.
Playing smart and poised is part of being a good team. Since we did not play that way for good portions of today's game it stands to reason we are not a better team than Kentucky. Hopefully we will be before the season is over.

Playing smart and poised is part of being a good team. Since we did not play that way for good portions of today's game it stands to reason we are not a better-coached team than Kentucky. Hopefully we will be before the season is over.

Fixed...

Reactions: mcannon1
I went back and watched the game and did an informal count of the TOs. Of the 21 TOs, 7 were offensive fouls. That is players out of control. The baskets that were made in the offensive fouls could have won the game. I also counted 3 that were steals of a dribble and 2 where the receiver did not complete their cut and 3 that were not bad passes, but horrendous passes. The rest were just basketball.

As far as the skill level on the floor, it was LV's by a considerable margin. I saw lots of breakdowns in the flow that was caused by too much individual play. That is bad habits surfacing. CKJH has her work cut out for her. She should start to shorten her leash with some of the individualism now. The OOC is over. Could have won this one.

I really liked the plat of Davis! She had a good game and is one of the best players in D1. I also like Rae Burrell! She can shoot from there, go off the dribble and plays really hard. Horsten may be the tallest pg ever in WCBB. She is a future AA that can shoot from 3 and is good with the ball. With Kelly as her coach Imo there is no limit To what she can accomplis. What a difference in the team from the last several years! I for one was glad To see that. Coach Harper was à tough player and leader! A really good guard who will bring the program back to where it belongs!

Totally disgusted as to the way we played defense and all the turnovers in the kentucly game. This game was a huge setback have to see where we go from here. Giving up 80 points to anyone should be humiliating to any player and coach.

The Lady Vols do have talent. Coach Kellie has not coached the talent to the next level of player performance. I am not saying she can not this, I am saying she has not so far.

Takes a while to undo bad habits. I truly feel every single player on the roster has improved from last season. Particularly Rennia, she is now a consistent performer. As a team they still go through lulls where they look unsure on offense but I’m seeing that less and less as well. For some of them Coach Harper is trying to undo 2, almost 3 years of questionable coaching.

As for the 20 turnovers, it was bound to bite us at some point. Gives them a tangible learning experience. Up until now we hadn’t really been burned by them.

Again though, about 10 of those were offensive foul calls. The officials were charge happy all night and bit on every single flop. Something that needs to stop in women’s basketball. Watching that 1998 championship game someone posted the other day, and man did they used to let them play or what. I think there was maybe one player control foul each way, but about 5 times they just let them play on.

On the other hand the officials allowed Kentucky to violate the cylinder rule all night last night which caused a lot of our turnovers. As usual it was a poorly called SEC game both ways.

Totally disgusted as to the way we played defense and all the turnovers in the kentucly game. This game was a huge setback have to see where we go from here. Giving up 80 points to anyone should be humiliating to any player and coach.

I won’t view this game as a huge setback until I see how we perform in the next two games. It’s all about how we respond from here.

If we continue to win all the games we should win this season and don’t win any that we shouldn’t. I would still consider this a successful first season for Kellie. By my count that would put us at 4 or 5 losses in SEC finishing in the top half and approaching 20 wins total on the year. Likely still sneak into the NCAA tournament and hopefully win a couple games we shouldn’t.

If we win even one game we aren’t supposed to (UCONN, South Carolina, MSST, Texas A&M) I think we are a lock for the NCAA tournament and should finish in the top 4 of the SEC.

This program took a nosedive under Holly, you don’t correct that fully in one season. Our players are really trying and look like they’re responding, but it’s going to take a while. Mitchell almost got out coached last night, we played terrible and they still only beat us by 4 because cause Harper managed the game well down the stretch. She could have easily thrown her hands up at about the 5 minute mark of Q4 and we would have lost by 15 like a Holly team.

I won’t view this game as a huge setback until I see how we perform in the next two games. It’s all about how we respond from here.

If we continue to win all the games we should win this season and don’t win any that we shouldn’t. I would still consider this a successful first season for Kellie. By my count that would put us at 4 or 5 losses in SEC finishing in the top half and approaching 20 wins total on the year. Likely still sneak into the NCAA tournament and hopefully win a couple games we shouldn’t.

If we win even one game we aren’t supposed to (UCONN, South Carolina, MSST, Texas A&M) I think we are a lock for the NCAA tournament and should finish in the top 4 of the SEC.

This program took a nosedive under Holly, you don’t correct that fully in one season. Our players are really trying and look like they’re responding, but it’s going to take a while. Mitchell almost got out coached last night, we played terrible and they still only beat us by 4 because cause Harper managed the game well down the stretch. She could have easily thrown her hands up at about the 5 minute mark of Q4 and we would have lost by 15 like a Holly team.

I'm still confident that Coach Kellie will get it done not blaming her but there are a few players I would like to blame just a few more intelligent plays and just two or three more stops and we'd be winners today. I really think this game was lost because of poor execution on about seven or eight possessions. I know she is trying to get it into them in a nicer was that say Summitt would she knows this is a different era players are spoiled if you get to harsh they take it personally. I agree a lot of bad habits take a while to correct and we have to win the next four or things will again be headed in the wrong direction because they are all games we should be favored to win.

They have more talent than Kentucky...
I have been hearing these talking heads saying this very same thing for a few years now. Yet the scoreboard don’t lie. Star ratings are for fans and lazy college coaches who actually only see a player play for a couple days in some showcase event in the summer.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I'm still confident that Coach Kellie will get it done not blaming her but there are a few players I would like to blame just a few more intelligent plays and just two or three more stops and we'd be winners today. I really think this game was lost because of poor execution on about seven or eight possessions. I know she is trying to get it into them in a nicer was that say Summitt would she knows this is a different era players are spoiled if you get to harsh they take it personally. I agree a lot of bad habits take a while to correct and we have to win the next four or things will again be headed in the wrong direction because they are all games we should be favored to win.

I agree. I felt our guard play and our post play let us down both offensively and defensively. Jazz and Jordan didn’t show up defensively last night, Jazz had her worst game of the season by my count.

She kept losing Howard and gave up way too many open 3s off their screening action. It’s not a secret she can shoot the deep ball, you have to fight over every screen when you guard her. There is also no “switch” when you’re guarding a player like her. She’s your responsibility you have to keep her in front.

Jordan has to improve her ball control. She had several turnovers that were just her being casual with the basketball. Those will kill us in close games, hopefully she learns from this film.

Our bigs just have to be more aggressive, period. They have to run the floor hard every possession and get posted before teams can bring the double. Tamari and KK should be combining for about 12 rebounds and 20 points. We don’t need either one of them to be a standout, if they’ll both just play average every game as a combo our post play would be hard to beat.

Rennia and Rae at the forwards were the only ones who really looked focused.

Last edited:
I agree. I felt our guard play and our post play let us down both offensively and defensively. Jazz and Jordan didn’t show up defensively last night, Jordan had her worst game of the season by my count.

She kept losing Howard and gave up way too many open 3s off their screening action. It’s not a secret she can shoot the deep ball, you have to fight over every screen when you guard her. There is also no “switch” when you’re guarding a player like her. She’s your responsibility you have to keep her in front.

Jordan has to improve her ball control. She had several turnovers that were just her being casual with the basketball. Those will kill us in close games, hopefully she learns from this film.

Our bigs just have to be more aggressive, period. They have to run the floor hard every possession and get posted before teams can bring the double. Tamari and KK should be combining for about 12 rebounds and 20 points. We don’t need either one of them to be a standout, if they’ll both just play average every game as a combo our post play would be hard to beat.

Rennia and Rae at the forwards were the only ones who really looked focused.
Really tough that Jordan got pushed into a bigger role this season because of the Green injury. She definitely had her worse game, but we have to play her a lot who do we have that gives you a better chance to win. We just hope the light will come on because she is gonna be dynamic one day don't know when that will be in some games she has been already.

I have been hearing these talking heads saying this very same thing for a few years now. Yet the scoreboard don’t lie. Star ratings are for fans and lazy college coaches who actually only see a player play for a couple days in some showcase event in the summer.

I would say the ratings are correct more often than not. If you look at other 5 star prospects across the country most of the best players were highly rated out of HS. For 7 seasons we had no player development.

You can’t win when everyone else gets better and you stay the same. Rennia has gone from an up and down player her first two seasons to a consistent, deadly, scorer this year. That’s coaching. 5 stars just means 5 stars worth of potential. Holly viewed 5 stars as “my job is already done.”

Every player that returned is playing much better, if we had Zaay giving us that extra scorer and defender with experience we would be in business. I suspect if she were playing we would have only one loss on the season to Stanford and it would have been a much closer game.

Really tough that Jordan got pushed into a bigger role this season because of the Green injury. She definitely had her worse game, but we have to play her a lot who do we have that gives you a better chance to win. We just hope the light will come on because she is gonna be dynamic one day don't know when that will be in some games she has been already.

I agree, we really miss Zaay in games like that. She would have been the one player that could have helped absorb some of that. Kellie would have been able to sit Jordan more and let her see the game. Instead we just have to let her play through the mistakes. Hopefully they get less and less frequent as the season progresses.

hard to watch at times...many things to/can be fixed...much harder to teach mental toughness...

GO LADY VOLS!
Mental toughness is exactly the problem right now and playing with intelligence. We don't have the mental toughness to the degree we need right now I think it is far better than last season. Even in this game when we got down 27 to 14 we would've folded last year and lost by 30 we at least have the will to battle if we still do it in a unintelligent way.

Reactions: VolBall09
I really liked the plat of Davis! She had a good game and is one of the best players in D1. I also like Rae Burrell! She can shoot from there, go off the dribble and plays really hard. Horsten may be the tallest pg ever in WCBB. She is a future AA that can shoot from 3 and is good with the ball. With Kelly as her coach Imo there is no limit To what she can accomplis. What a difference in the team from the last several years! I for one was glad To see that. Coach Harper was à tough player and leader! A really good guard who will bring the program back to where it belongs!
Agree with almost all of it. While Horsten can handle the point. the LV's will probably not reach the next level with her playing there. Imagine Horsten and Davis (and Burrell) on the wings running with a great point guard. (KEY can run with any post) Now that's fearsome. If I were CKJH, I would be scouring the transfer portal for a dynamic point guard and then give her the keys to the ferrari.

Reactions: mytenn and Dube
Agree with almost all of it. While Horsten can handle the point. the LV's will probably not reach the next level with her playing there. Imagine Horsten and Davis (and Burrell) on the wings running with a great point guard. (KEY can run with any post) Now that's fearsome. If I were CKJH, I would be scouring the transfer portal for a dynamic point guard and then give her the keys to the ferrari.

This is spot on. Unless she’s grooming Green while she rehabs to be that player for us next season I hope she’s looking for a top PG grad transfer. If we could pick up an elite, true, PG with immediate eligibility we will be unstoppable next season. If we have Horston, Green, Burrell and Rennia all back plus our posts we will be in business. I fear we will lose at least one player to transfer after this season though.

I can’t think of any elite point guards off the top of my head that might be interested in grad transfer. Hopefully someone comes up though. We need a lead guard who isn’t afraid to score, like Aari McDonald from Arizona.

Lack of Bench hurt as well. With the transfers who left and losing Zay we don't have much Athletic ability coming off the bench that at least can play D. And were this hurts the most is when Rae is in and we press and trap which to me is when we played our best yesterday not having a deep bench hurts

VN Store

Back