Lady Vol Schedule 20-21

So, would 16-8 be the baseline for having "met expectations" which was her grade after her first season?
Hi Darth. IMO the numerical record won't tell the story. All depends on who the 8 are and how we played against them. For me this season is all about improvement and development. No more stuck in the mud with the same ole, same ole problems - inconsistent play, high turnover helter skelter offense, and lack of significant player development. Must be more competitive with the better league teams, if not yet the best league teams. Not the same team the last game of the season as the first. Make progress.

Amb3096 hit it on the head after last season - KJH is going to have to be a makes-more-with-less coach like Vic Shaffer was in making Miss St. a power. At least a few of the middling recruits have to develop into much better players than their rankings and early assesments predict they will be. That can be a really fun team to pull for, a bunch of scrappy over-achievers who turn into a dangerous team. Won't always pull off the win, but with growing consistency will be in the game late.

That will move the bar from met to exceeded for the upcoming season for me.

Hi Darth. IMO the numerical record won't tell the story. All depends on who the 8 are and how we played against them. For me this season is all about improvement and development. No more stuck in the mud with the same ole, same ole problems - inconsistent play, high turnover helter skelter offense, and lack of significant player development. Must be more competitive with the better league teams, if not yet the best league teams. Not the same team the last game of the season as the first. Make progress.

Amb3096 hit it on the head after last season - KJH is going to have to be a makes-more-with-less coach like Vic Shaffer was in making Miss St. a power. At least a few of the middling recruits have to develop into much better players than their rankings and early assesments predict they will be. That can be a really fun team to pull for, a bunch of scrappy over-achievers who turn into a dangerous team. Won't always pull off the win, but with growing consistency will be in the game late.

That will move the bar from met to exceeded for the upcoming season for me.

The challenge this season is that the shortened pre-season will make it harder to earn an at-large bid without a signature win. Assuming the 8 predicted losses are: SC, UConn, MSST, UK (x2), Ark, TAMU and Texas. If they can't win one or more of these games, that leaves no room for losses to the likes of LSU, Alabama, Missouri, WVU. They will have their work cut out for them if they want to keep the NCAA tournament streak alive.

The challenge this season is that the shortened pre-season will make it harder to earn an at-large bid without a signature win. Assuming the 8 predicted losses are: SC, UConn, MSST, UK (x2), Ark, TAMU and Texas. If they can't win one or more of these games, that leaves no room for losses to the likes of LSU, Alabama, Missouri, WVU. They will have their work cut out for them if they want to keep the NCAA tournament streak alive.

Not so fast there is no guarantee we will beat LSU or Ala ?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

I doubt we lose to UK twice and I think we’ve got Texas. With the coaching change I think UK will be a bit out of sorts. Howard can carry them a long way but a coaching change this close to season is tough. Looks like the WV game likely won’t happen unless something changes. Makes it even shorter! 😬

I doubt we lose to UK twice and I think we’ve got Texas. With the coaching change I think UK will be a bit out of sorts. Howard can carry them a long way but a coaching change this close to season is tough. Looks like the WV game likely won’t happen unless something changes. Makes it even shorter! 😬
OR, they could rally round their fallen coach and around the assistant they're all very familiar with. Not like a new system or surroundings or anything. I think KY will still be very, very good.

For sure actually winning a game or so against a higher ranked opponent would be a breakthru and a definite bar raising achievement. Especially if in conjunction with winning al , or almost all, the "should win" games.

Elzy provides continuity. She's been there for years and from what it sounds like, she's been running the show for a few months now. They have a much more talented team and I think UK will be heavily favored in both matchups.

Tennessee is more talented than Texas, but we know what Vic can do with lesser talent. Of the 8 potential losses, that's the one that I think is the most winnable game.

I hope WV is not cancelled, because if it is...then Texas becomes a must-win game. The other OOC games (assuming a loss to UConn) won't do anything for Tennessee's tournament resume.

The negativity among some of you guys is like a filthy contagious disease...It's being spread by one main source...I won't even say his name...

Do you guys post with masks on too....Be sure and wash your hands when you finish posting, wouldn't want you guys to spread your negativity...

Try and let the season play out, before you condemn the program to obscurity..

So, would 16-8 be the baseline for having "met expectations" which was her grade after her first season?
I think it would be acceptable considering the schedule were playing. A lot of tough road games and SC and UConn number one and two in the nation at home really hard to see us doing much better. I would like to see us go 11 and 5 in the SEC but a lot of unknowns about this team have no idea what kind of team we'll be. We should be better than last season, but whether that means a better winning percentage or not remains to be seen. A lot of teams are better in the SEC. My hope is that we at least have shown some progress in some areas where we were terrible last season. I will be ok with winning 16 but totally disappointed with anything less. I agree with anyone that we have to start making some improvement and I see the players this year more than last that can make that happen. If it doesn't I will be more than willing to agree were heading in the wrong direction so 16 is my baseline for this coming season if all the key players stay healthy.

Not so fast there is no guarantee we will beat LSU or Ala ?
I would say losing either of those games would be a bad loss and certainly would be an indication that the team is not moving in the right direction. No guarantee we will win either one but both are games we should win. If we lose games like these on the road 16 wins becomes a stretch and the season a huge disappointment.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
UK at home and Arkansas at home are key games and if we can't win either of those would really need to start thinking about if this coaching staff is getting the job done at Tennessee. I don't want to start on the coaching staff yet but certainly losing these games would signal to me that were not showing the kind of progress that is necessary. Just the fact that Davis, Horston, Key, Burrell, KK and the grad transfer additions makes you believe were at least 10 points better overall offense defense this year. If that happens then we should win these games at home.

The grading curve on the coaching staff becomes a lot sterner this season. You must see players making improvement and of course improvement should mean at least winning against teams with comparable talent. I think 16 is acceptable and anything less a bad sign. I am hoping we win more but less than 16 looks like a bad year to me.

What is wrong with you people? You’re all set to complain about the Coaching staff? Two of our best players, Jordan and Tamari, will be Sophomores, not Freshmen, this season. Remember what a big difference that makes in many players? There are a lot of new players we have no idea how they will play, but I expect our Coaches and Players to be up for all challenges. Take your doom and gloom and put a mask on it. I’m excited for this season, and will not say any game is a loss, including UConn. Yes, we also have super promising players coming next year, too. GO LADY VOLS!!!

I wonder what happened to Stanford and Notre Dame are they not playing this season? I was looking forward to both games at home thought we had a great shot to win those games. This should mean when if ever those series are resumed we will play at home the next games.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I wonder what happened to Stanford and Notre Dame are they not playing this season? I was looking forward to both games at home thought we had a great shot to win those games. This should mean when if ever those series are resumed we will play at home the next games.

I will be shocked if Stanford is allowed to have much of a season this year. I believe ND made a statement that they were making a commitment to only playing teams within a certain geographical area to avoid airports and extensive travel.

I would like to see us go 11 and 5 in the SEC but a lot of unknowns about this team have no idea what kind of team we'll be. We should be better than last season, but whether that means a better winning percentage or not remains to be seen.

I still see tough sledding this season without a point guard on the roster...

Reactions: sisaq

VN Store

Back