Lady Vol Players Weigh In

I believe there is a core group that needs to stay in order for the team not to be in rebuilding mode:

Westbrook
Horston
Green
Davis
Burrell
Kushkituah
Key

The rest of the players are nice to haves, but their loss can be mitigated if the above players stay. I would have put Collins up above, but it sounds like she's the biggest flight risk. Would like to keep Brown for depth, and Massengill as depth (and a project as the future PG), but their absences can be survived. The other freshmen and Kamera are obviously the ones that would be least disruptive to lose. Kamera is a big body for additional depth; the freshmen are unknown quantities and not expected to be immediate impact players.

I think Kamera might forgive her final year. She made some tweets and stuff thanking Holly which I found surprising. Not because they were bad in any way, but usually players refrain from saying anything when they’re still part of the team.

I believe there is a core group that needs to stay in order for the team not to be in rebuilding mode:

Westbrook
Horston
Green
Davis
Burrell
Kushkituah
Key

The rest of the players are nice to haves, but their loss can be mitigated if the above players stay. I would have put Collins up above, but it sounds like she's the biggest flight risk. Would like to keep Brown for depth, and Massengill as depth (and a project as the future PG), but their absences can be survived. The other freshmen and Kamera are obviously the ones that would be least disruptive to lose. Kamera is a big body for additional depth; the freshmen are unknown quantities and not expected to be immediate impact players.

I don`t disagree with you on the list, I think she only stay if she is guaranteed by the new coach to be the starting pg. I like Westbrook but not at the point it just has not worked out. When you go to twitter a lot of people say the same thing . Make no mistake coaches see her weakness at the point and they game plan for her I could be wrong but just my opinion.

If Walz is the coach you wonder what players he recruited may try to follow him. Of course Green is the big name in the class he recruited for next season. I can't help but believe that whomever takes over will have Davis, Westbrook, and all the others that stay in a program where they will be much better by next season. I think Horston is an instant star as a freshman and what I've seen of Key hard to believe she wasn't in the McDonalds game as she has all the ability of any center I saw playing there. Emily Saunders may need some time but being the Gatorade player of the year in your state means you have talent.

I am really anxious for a new coach to be named know the tourney has to run it's course but with the right person and I believe that to be either Walz or Ivey I think were a definite contender for the SEC title next season and a deep run in the NCAA Tourney.

I don`t disagree with you on the list, I think she only stay if she is guaranteed by the new coach to be the starting pg. I like Westbrook but not at the point it just has not worked out. When you go to twitter a lot of people say the same thing . Make no mistake coaches see her weakness at the point and they game plan for her I could be wrong but just my opinion.

I think she can get past the point guard thing for the right coach. If they hire Jeff Walz and he says, “Hey, look what I was able to do with Asia Durr.” He can get her attention. Asia still controlled the ball the majority of the time, but having her at the 2 really freed her up to score. E. is competitive I believe she wants to win more than she wants to be point guard.

Last edited:
I think she can get past the point guard thing for the right coach. If they higher Jeff Walz and he says, “Hey, look what I was able to do with Asia Durr.” He can get her attention. Asia still controlled the ball the majority of the time, but having her at the 2 really freed her up to score. E. is competitive I believe she wants to win more than she wants to be point guard.

I don`t disagree with you that she wants to win. And you are correct Asia controlled the ball the majority of the time, And also Asia handles the ball very well and is quick.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I don`t disagree with you that she wants to win. And you are correct Asia controlled the ball the majority of the time, And also Asia handles the ball very well and is quick.

Not handled. Controlled. Different that being responsible for bringing the ball up. Evina will look like a much better ball handler like that too.

The way around that is to do away with more emphasis on passing and finding an open player...the same way Louisville and Notre Dame run their offense, where the top 4 don't have huge separation between them in the assists per game. Even with MSST having a pure PG, you have games where Anriel or Danberry are leading in assists. If Evina is starting alongside Jordan, they can take turns directing traffic the same way Mabrey and Young do for ND.

Evina has her weaknesses at the PG position, but she's got a lot of positive attributes too.

The way around that is to do away with more emphasis on passing and finding an open player...the same way Louisville and Notre Dame run their offense, where the top 4 don't have huge separation between them in the assists per game. Even with MSST having a pure PG, you have games where Anriel or Danberry are leading in assists. If Evina is starting alongside Jordan, they can take turns directing traffic the same way Mabrey and Young do for ND.

Evina has her weaknesses at the PG position, but she's got a lot of positive attributes too.

I agree

From the article:
"Saunders first became aware of the coaching change via social media, before she received the official call from Fulmer himself."

I am impressed that Fulmer called to tell her. Good job, Phil! And I am MOST happy that Saunders will still be wearing a Tennessee uniform next season!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I think of it like this... If the players are tied to a coach, then they will follow the coach.
(Hypothetically) If Holly went and replaced the coach at Georgia Tech, what players would follow her? My guess none. I don't see players leaving because of Holly. If a player wants to leave I think this coaching change opportunity is going to be their way out, but their reason for leaving is probably something other than coaching and something that has been inside them longer than just a couple months.

Honestly, I’d be shocked if every single player (and her parents) on the team right now and those coming in next year weren’t fully aware when they chose Tennessee that Holly might be replaced at some point.

Unless none of them ever followed social media, and all of them completely avoided fan message boards, then they all were aware of all the talk about Holly not being head coach material that’s been going on since Day One. They also have eyes and have been able to see for themselves the steady decline in player skills/confidence. They all had to see this coming yet still wanted to come to Tennessee.

——————————-
Just a sec... I’m getting a phone call. Be right back
——————————-

Okay, I’m back. By the way, that phone call was from Stevie Wonder. He said even HE saw this coming.

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back