Lack of diversity in UT coaching staffs across all sports

She had to be referring to head coaches. That's the only explanation. I hadn't noticed but you're correct about the current AD staff although Condredge Holloway was assistant AD for 21 years. He was also the first African-American quarterback in the SEC. Wade Houston was also the first African-American head basketball coach in the SEC. I've always felt like Tennessee was a leader in diversity. Especially in the SEC.

Speaking of diversity, I've gotta give a shout out to my boy Jarel Dillard. He was one of my church kids. Great kid! Great family!
Jarel Dillard - Swimming & Diving - University of Tennessee Athletics
Gallatin swimmer to be first African American to swim for UT
Gotta give a shout out to my boy Hayden Fry.

Jerry LeVias on Hayden Fry's death: 'This is like losing a parent'

Reactions: SycloneJoe
You can’t make people apply. My wife and I both work in fields that are desperately trying to hire blacks. In 22 years I can count on one hand how many have applied for similar position at my company. My wife, who works in the state criminal justice system had similar results. She can only remember two in 15 years.

Of the four that did apply where I work, we hired three. Two performed well below par and left to pursue different careers. Both were great employees. The other was fired after frequent problems. The only other I recall being interviewed couldn’t pass the background check. So, in 22 years we had four apply and hired three.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWGVol
I’m confused by her “no African-American coaches” statement and then comparing it “every other SEC school”. Only African-American HC is Mason at Vandy for football. UT has several African-American coaches in football and basketball and isn’t the track coach and tennis coach in that demographic for HC’s? She been gone awhile?

Edit: Ojeda is Hispanic and track coach is a white woman...so scratch that.

Facts dont matter when you're being emotional.

🤔🤔🤔 Lack of Diversity?? I thought competitive sports were about results?? Not a quota? Of whites or blacks or half black or half white or 2/3 Asian or 1/5 Hispanic 🤷‍♂️ maybe throw in some Trans?? WTF? how about athelete diversity?? Not any midgets on the basketball team!! Should we kneel during commercials until midgets are in the NBA?? HEY! This wokeness is pretty cool!! 😄😄 jus kidding!! "idiots"

Reactions: Boca Vol
This thread is comical. No one including Kara would argue that UT shouldn't be hiring the people that get the best results. Her point is that that is NOT what happens and the current hiring process should be examined, so it isn't about race. When has any job in sports been just about hiring "the best?" Hiring is very much a nepotistic, political game. Who defines what "the best" is? The people doing the hiring and who/what are they beholden to...... the money. Keeping where that money comes from happy is a balancing act that historical contributes to the lack of diversity (gender, socioeconomic status, race, etc) in many, many organizations. It is why "the best" is usually referred to as "the best fit." "The fit" part of that phrase usually has very little to do with the person's ability to meet the criteria of the job description. The fact that so few here can see the game being played for what it is or are fine with the status quo is really sad.

I’m confused by her “no African-American coaches” statement and then comparing it “every other SEC school”. Only African-American HC is Mason at Vandy for football. UT has several African-American coaches in football and basketball and isn’t the track coach and tennis coach in that demographic for HC’s? She been gone awhile?

Edit: Ojeda is Hispanic and track coach is a white woman...so scratch that.

You're focusing far too much on facts. It's getting in the way. ;)

Just another stir of the racism pot before the election. Gotta keep things hot. Kara, You realize there are zero Eskimo coaches in the SEC. right?

Reactions: JohnWardForever
it always ends well when a company or institution is forced to hire individuals on the basis of their skin color or genitals. Remember years ago when the NYC Athletic Club was forced to allow women to join? As soon as they were allowed, the new members demanded seperate dressing rooms and facilities for themselves. We now have 'all girl' Boy Scout troops led by women only....is that diversity? GO VOLS

Reactions: allvol123
it always ends well when a company or institution is forced to hire individuals on the basis of their skin color or genitals. Remember years ago when the NYC Athletic Club was forced to allow women to join? As soon as they were allowed, the new members demanded seperate dressing rooms and facilities for themselves. We now have 'all girl' Boy Scout troops led by women only....is that diversity? GO VOLS
The quicker people realize that it's not about 'diversity' but about destruction the quicker our society can actually thrive.

Ironic, right?

" I haven't seen this many white kids since emeniem played Duke " Chris Rock

Also does Duke have a minority head coach in a major sport? Maybe Kara can fix their problems
I‘m not aware of any minority head coaches at Duke. We’ll see how Kara does, I hope she does well. Personally, I hope this somehow gets Brad Stevens closer to thinking about Durham when K retires. Doubt it though.

I‘m not aware of any minority head coaches at Duke. We’ll see how Kara does, I hope she does well. Personally, I hope this somehow gets Brad Stevens closer to thinking about Durham when K retires. Doubt it though.
I wish her nothing but the best however she's looking like a sellout from where I'm sitting, although I wouldn't expect anything less given the current environment of the NBA. China as an example

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I wish her nothing but the best however she's looking like a sellout from where I'm sitting, although I wouldn't expect anything less given the current environment of the NBA. China as an example
I didn‘t think that her critical comments of Tennessee were warranted. At all. She sounded like she just wanted a sound byte . As far as China goes, it’s a joke when certain players sound off on stuff they have zero knowledge of. Lebron is great fo the game and all of that, but he can’t have it both ways when it comes to his SJW platform.

Sellout for taking a head coaching job? What’s that got to do with China?

VN Store

Back