Lack of diversity in UT coaching staffs across all sports

If she was truly upset that UT didn't have enough black head coaches, couldn't she have thrown her hat in the ring/name in the hat when we were shopping for a women's head basketball coach not so long ago? Am I missing something?

If she was truly upset that UT didn't have enough black head coaches, couldn't she have thrown her hat in the ring/name in the hat when we were shopping for a women's head basketball coach not so long ago? Am I missing something?
It both pays better and is much easier to be a silly talking head.

Reactions: happy-go_vol
You know this or are you being homophobic?
Once people climb on the soap box and get attention it’s hard for them to come down.
Kara has several “causes” she can trumpet, I just think LGBT will be her next

You know she did not? How?

"When I look at my alma mater, Knoxville, there is not a single African-American coach at that institution," Lawson continued.
She is just making crap up to stir the pot....half the football coaches at UT are African American. As far as college football as a whole..there are 3 head coaches(that I know of) Jay Norvell at Nevada, Willie Taggart at Florida Atlantic, and Thomas Hammock at Northern Illinois in the BCS. Now make the case of which one of those coaches are better than their job? I'm not familiar with a lot of other sports, but I'd like to hear from some that know if there is a African American head coach in any sport that is deserving of a better job that isn't getting a chance. I find it hard to believe that any school any where in the U.S. in this day and age would pass on a opportunity to be better based on race.

"When I look at my alma mater, Knoxville, there is not a single African-American coach at that institution," Lawson continued.
She is just making crap up to stir the pot....half the football coaches at UT are African American. As far as college football as a whole..there are 3 head coaches(that I know of) Jay Norvell at Nevada, Willie Taggart at Florida Atlantic, and Thomas Hammock at Northern Illinois in the BCS. Now make the case of which one of those coaches are better than their job? I'm not familiar with a lot of other sports, but I'd like to hear from some that know if there is a African American head coach in any sport that is deserving of a better job that isn't getting a chance. I find it hard to believe that any school any where in the U.S. in this day and age would pass on a opportunity to be better based on race.
Careful there, you're going down a path that will lead you to deduce some "hateful" things like the simple reality that this whole shebang is not and never was about "equality".

Careful there, you're going down a path that will lead you to deduce some "hateful" things like the simple reality that this whole shebang is not and never was about "equality".
No doubt. I really would like to know and discuss if there are any African American coaches(in any sport) that are definitively better than their job. Seems to me that instead of trying to race bait and shame the University that gave her the opportunity, she would be better served(if her motive is genuine) to point to the opportunities that Jeremy Pruitt(and any other head coaches) has given to low profile coaches that are finding success....guys like Jimmy Brumbaugh(at least I think he's African American?), Shelton Felton, A.J. Artis, and anybody else that I can't think of.

The sad part is that if Pruitt or Barnes were to leave, and Derrick Ansley, Tee Martin, Rob Lanier, Desmond Oliver or Kim English were to get the job there would be whispers as to whether they earned the job or not.
Had Barnes gone to UCLA I suspect Rob Lanier would have been a strong consideration.

The sad part is that if Pruitt or Barnes were to leave, and Derrick Ansley, Tee Martin, Rob Lanier, Desmond Oliver or Kim English were to get the job there would be whispers as to whether they earned the job or not.
Had Barnes gone to UCLA I suspect Rob Lanier would have been a strong consideration.
I don't know enough about basketball to speak about coaches qualifications, but I seriously doubt that Derrick Ansley or Tee Martin are getting any major head coaching gigs at this point in their careers. Derrick Ansley may at some point, but I just don't see Tee Martin being the HC. There is a reason that USC nor UT will even give him complete control of the offense....but then again, I never thought Dooley or the guy he whipped would get a major HC gig.

"When I look at my alma mater, Knoxville, there is not a single African-American coach at that institution,". Does she mean head coach? I'm proud to say that I see several African-American coaches!

Derrick Ansley - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Tee Martin - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jay Graham - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jimmy Brumbaugh - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Shelton Felton - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
A.J. Artis - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Kevin Simon - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Patrick Abernathy - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Bethany Gunn - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Kerry Stevenson - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Nanumi Lolohea - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Nate Andrews - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Tyler Murphy - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Rachel Bell - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Quentin Eberhardt - Baseball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Desmond Oliver - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Kim English - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
I.J. Poole - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Lacey Goldwire - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jennifer Sullivan - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jessica Jackson - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
David Neville - Track & Field / XC Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jennifer Charles - Volleyball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Josh Huger - Swimming & Diving Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jonathan Morgan - Soccer Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Heather Ervin - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics

I don't know enough about basketball to speak about coaches qualifications, but I seriously doubt that Derrick Ansley or Tee Martin are getting any major head coaching gigs at this point in their careers. Derrick Ansley may at some point, but I just don't see Tee Martin being the HC. There is a reason that USC nor UT will even give him complete control of the offense....but then again, I never thought Dooley or the guy he whipped would get a major HC gig.
I could definitely see Ansley getting HC offers if the defense/entire team emerges over the next couple of years. He checks a ton of boxes - great recruiter, has been around great programs (Alabama and hopefully we can say that about Tennessee at some point), coached DBs in the NFL for a couple years.

"When I look at my alma mater, Knoxville, there is not a single African-American coach at that institution,". Does she mean head coach? I'm proud to say that I see several African-American coaches!

Derrick Ansley - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Tee Martin - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jay Graham - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jimmy Brumbaugh - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Shelton Felton - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
A.J. Artis - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Kevin Simon - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Patrick Abernathy - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Bethany Gunn - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Kerry Stevenson - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Nanumi Lolohea - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Nate Andrews - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Tyler Murphy - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Rachel Bell - Football Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Quentin Eberhardt - Baseball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Desmond Oliver - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Kim English - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
I.J. Poole - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Lacey Goldwire - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jennifer Sullivan - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jessica Jackson - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
David Neville - Track & Field / XC Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jennifer Charles - Volleyball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Josh Huger - Swimming & Diving Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Jonathan Morgan - Soccer Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Heather Ervin - Women's Basketball Coach - University of Tennessee Athletics
Nice work....I don't see how your motive can be equality if you blindly throw your alma-mater under the bus without doing some research.

Forgot Mason at Vandy.

"When I look at my alma mater, Knoxville, there is not a single African-American coach at that institution,". Does she mean head coach?

I believe she was referring to head coaches and was certainly referring to the AD Senior Staff who all are white. Her wording in that portion of her statements does not clarify she meant head coaches, though.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Nice work....I don't see how your motive can be equality if you blindly throw your alma-mater under the bus without doing some research.

I believe she was referring to head coaches and was certainly referring to the AD Senior Staff who all are white. Her wording in that portion of her statements does not clarify she meant head coaches, though.

She had to be referring to head coaches. That's the only explanation. I hadn't noticed but you're correct about the current AD staff although Condredge Holloway was assistant AD for 21 years. He was also the first African-American quarterback in the SEC. Wade Houston was also the first African-American head basketball coach in the SEC. I've always felt like Tennessee was a leader in diversity. Especially in the SEC.

Speaking of diversity, I've gotta give a shout out to my boy Jarel Dillard. He was one of my church kids. Great kid! Great family!
Jarel Dillard - Swimming & Diving - University of Tennessee Athletics
Gallatin swimmer to be first African American to swim for UT

Last edited:

VN Store

Back