'22 LA RB Trevor Etienne (Florida commit)

I remember following the first Etienne thread closely but can’t remember what Butch did to screw it up. I’ve drank so, so much over the last decade. Memories are fading. Can someone help me out?

I must have been so drunk that I missed that. We could have had the rb from Clemson?!...
He said in an interview before the championship last season that he grew up a Vol fan and Janzen Jackson is his cousin.

From an interview with Higgins, Lawrence, Rodgers, and Etienne...

Similar to Etienne’s comment, Lawrence noted that once he started visiting Butch Jones’ Tennessee program during his recruitment, his interest in the Volunteer program began to wane.

He said in an interview before the championship last season that he grew up a Vol fan and Janzen Jackson is his cousin.

From an interview with Higgins, Lawrence, Rodgers, and Etienne...
Everybody keeps looking for specific things that Butch did wrong in recruitment. The kids see the same weakness in Butch that we see. Kids are not dumb. These kids get to know coaches pretty well during recruitment and I can't figure out why we as fans expect the kids to ignore obvious character issues in coaches.

Everybody keeps looking for specific things that Butch did wrong in recruitment. The kids see the same weakness in Butch that we see. Kids are not dumb. These kids get to know coaches pretty well during recruitment and I can't figure out why we as fans expect the kids to ignore obvious character issues in coaches.
Well, there were 25 kids each year who either didn’t see it, or didn’t care and ignored it.

Well, there were 25 kids each year who either didn’t see it, or didn’t care and ignored it.
We see their success level. People buy Chevy's all the time based on their parents' experience or the advertising value of their NASCAR involvement without doing an in depth investigation of comparative quality (I'm sure I made some enemies there)

Last edited:
At he beginning of Butch's tenure, many of us were fooled by him. It took a little time for his true colors to appear. I guess we were so glad to get rid of Dooley, we too over looked his faults.

At he beginning of Butch's tenure, many of us were fooled by him. It took a little time for his true colors to appear. I guess we were so glad to get rid of Dooley, we too over looked his faults.

I’ll never forget my buddies first words”Sooooo we hired the guy Dooley beat”?😂😂😂This should work out super well for us..!

I heard something about Coach Jones texting out the same exact message to several players while they were all at the elite 11 together.

I must have been so drunk that I missed that. We could have had the rb from Clemson?!...
Clemson in the 20-teens is Tennessee in the 20-teens in some bizaaro world....still makes me a little queezy thinking about what might have been...................................

Reactions: ShreveportVol
We see their success level. People buy Chevy's all the time based on their parents' experience or the advertising value of their NASCAR involvement without doing an in depth investigation of comparative quality (I'm sure I made some enemies there)
Exactly. I was just commenting on the idea that kids aren't dumb and why we expect kids to ignore his shortcomings. I was just pointing out that there were entire recruiting classes that either didn't see them or ignored the signs. Towards the end, it was mainly kids (though not entirely, i.e. Trey Smith) who likely didn't have much better in terms of other options, and as you said, we see their success level.

Clemson in the 20-teens is Tennessee in the 20-teens in some bizaaro world....still makes me a little queezy thinking about what might have been...................................
Do you mean Tennessee in the 1990's

I heard something about Coach Jones texting out the same exact message to several players while they were all at the elite 11 together.

There was just something that wasn't authentic about Butch. It didn't seem like a problem but his rehearsed lines got old. Words like individuals, maturation, etc said over and over are etched in my mind.

VN Store

Back