'22 LA RB Dylan Sampson (Tennessee signee)

Iowa isn't in the SEC. Kentucky is the closest thing we have to Iowa. Stoops has built a solid program, but he's been afforded the time to do so. They don't have championship expectations for their football program. Neither does Iowa. Consistent 8-4 to 10-2 will get you fired here unless you win the east every couple of years. Which still might get you fired.

The disrespect to Iowa lol.

Stoops first year at UK was 2013.

Iowa is 68-31 (44-24) since 2013.
UK is 54-50 (27-42) since 2013.

Those ain’t the same.

Those ain’t the same.
Don't pretend like the competition in the Big 10 West is comparable. That division is extraordinarily weak- Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

I do not disrespect either of the Iowa schools. What they do with their recruiting circumstances is pretty good. But I think what Stoops has done at UK compares pretty well to Iowa.

Don't pretend like the competition in the Big 10 West is comparable. That division is extraordinarily weak- Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

I do not disrespect either of the Iowa schools. What they do with their recruiting circumstances is pretty good. But I think what Stoops has done at UK compares pretty well to Iowa.

You’re acting like the SEC East is tough?

It’s UGA. That’s it. FL is off and on, UK already plays them tough now. Vols have sucked. Mizzou is hot or cold and definitely not a “tough” program. Vandy is trash. USCe is trash.

Reactions: barrylee
UK would have won the Big 10 West more than once during Stoops tenure if they played there. The SEC East has been down... and it is still better than that division. And I don't have any particular disrespect for the Big 10.

It’s UGA. That’s it. FL is off and on, UK already plays them tough now. Vols have sucked. Mizzou is hot or cold and definitely not a “tough” program. Vandy is trash. USCe is trash.
Other than Vandy, any of those teams would have been competitive in that division of the Big 10 over the last few years. Iowa is "hot and cold". They and Wisconsin are the only teams in that division even remotely competitive with the Big 10 East.

I'm fairly uncomfortable defending Stoops to be honest. I think he's a "good" coach who has topped UK out. So I'm not saying he's a world beater... just that Iowa plays in a division with 5 teams that are more G-5 level than P-5.

UK would have won the Big 10 West more than once during Stoops tenure if they played there. The SEC East has been down... and it is still better than that division. And I don't have any particular disrespect for the Big 10.

Other than Vandy, any of those teams would have been competitive in that division of the Big 10 over the last few years. Iowa is "hot and cold". They and Wisconsin are the only teams in that division even remotely competitive with the Big 10 East.

I'm fairly uncomfortable defending Stoops to be honest. I think he's a "good" coach who has topped UK out. So I'm not saying he's a world beater... just that Iowa plays in a division with 5 teams that are more G-5 level than P-5.

Look I think Stoops is a good coach as well. He’s had nowhere near the success Iowa has had. I’ll say they’re similar in the sense that both programs seem to know what they are and that’s a defense dominated team. They have a strong identity. And I respect what Stoops is doing but he needs to win 8+ games more than 2x since 2013 for me to compare UK to Iowa.

Granted, it appears he’ll do it for a 3rd time this season.

Those ain’t the same.
Iowa would have a similar record if they were in the SEC.

Iowa isn't in the SEC. Kentucky is the closest thing we have to Iowa. Stoops has built a solid program, but he's been afforded the time to do so. They don't have championship expectations for their football program. Neither does Iowa. Consistent 8-4 to 10-2 will get you fired here unless you win the east every couple of years. Which still might get you fired.
This is crazy talk. Maybe 20 years ago. We haven’t won ten games in over a decade. If JH wins 8-10 games a year, he will be here for a long time. 10+ years.

This is crazy talk. Maybe 20 years ago. We haven’t won ten games in over a decade. If JH wins 8-10 games a year, he will be here for a long time. 10+ years.
You would think, but once he starts winning all the talk will be about him not being able to get over the hump, and we need a big name coach. I hope that's not the case. I could see us becoming one of college footballs offensive juggernauts. I also think Tim Banks is a star in the making if we can get the Jimmy's and Joe's.

You would think, but once he starts winning all the talk will be about him not being able to get over the hump, and we need a big name coach. I hope that's not the case. I could see us becoming one of college footballs offensive juggernauts. I also think Tim Banks is a star in the making if we can get the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Been lots of talk (deservedly) about the O, but the D has stepped up.

I think if the SEC East played the head to head with that division of the Big Ten, SECE would close, but I think the SECe would lose the most games. They don't have a team that would beat Georgia or maybe Florida, but USCe and Vandy would not win a game. Kentucky and Tennessee playing their same ranked team would have good chances of winning, but one never knows.

I disagree. Our view has changed. We were spoiled for so long and realized what can happen when you fire a good coach. I think fans understand that winning 8-10 games a year should not be taken for granted anymore. This makes us a top fifteen program yearly and we should all be happy with that. But I agree people will eventually want us to win a championship, but I doubt anyone would still want to make a change if we are consistently winning,

I disagree. Our view has changed. We were spoiled for so long and realized what can happen when you fire a good coach. I think fans understand that winning 8-10 games a year should not be taken for granted anymore. This makes us a top fifteen program yearly and we should all be happy with that. But I agree people will eventually want us to win a championship, but I doubt anyone would still want to make a change if we are consistently winning,
Not all of us will want that, but the ones with unrealistic expectations seem to be the most vocal. Just journey over to the FF (football forum). This is why I love the RF.

I remember feeling like the season was over after our first loss of the season in the late 90s early 00s. I also remember thinking that I'd never take 8 wins for granted again during Butch's first 8 win season. I'm still there. I'd love to beat Bama, UGA, and UF, but I would/will be perfectly content at 9-3. Still a lot to enjoy. Stadium environment would be great. And we wouldn't be the punchline of every CFB joke.

I remember feeling like the season was over after our first loss of the season in the late 90s early 00s. I also remember thinking that I'd never take 8 wins for granted again during Butch's first 8 win season. I'm still there. I'd love to beat Bama, UGA, and UF, but I would/will be perfectly content at 9-3. Still a lot to enjoy. Stadium environment would be great. And we wouldn't be the punchline of every CFB joke.
It’s natural to want more AFTER you get it. Applies to the Vols, sex and Braves postseason expectations (not necessarily in that order).

Reactions: SSVol and bigl3327
I think if the SEC East played the head to head with that division of the Big Ten, SECE would close, but I think the SECe would lose the most games. They don't have a team that would beat Georgia or maybe Florida, but USCe and Vandy would not win a game. Kentucky and Tennessee playing their same ranked team would have good chances of winning, but one never knows.

Absolutely agree, this year. I mean all recent years none of them are beating UGA but this year UT and UK would wax the comparable teams in that division. I think.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
It’s natural to want more AFTER you get it. Applies to the Vols, sex and Braves postseason expectations (not necessarily in that order).

Sure, law of diminishing returns. There is a balance between striving for more and being content though, and the longer I live the easier I find it to strike that balance, particularly for the first two. Not being a Braves fan, I'm free from that curse.

Reactions: butchna
1633750291186.png

1633750498654.png

“I’m not a bruiser, but I’m a hard runner,” Sampson said. “The goal is for me to get as many yards on every play. I don’t care who’s in my way.”

Fifth-year Dutchtown coach Guy Mistretta, who previously coached all-state running backs at Redemptorist and Livonia, has a pretty good reference point when it comes to comparing standout running backs such as Sampson. “This one’s probably the most complete of all of them,” he said. “We can spread him out and do so many different things with him. He’s a physical guy as well as a speed guy.”

Despite his climb to the top of the school’s rushing list, Sampson remains grounded and appreciative of his offensive line, along with the running backs and wide receivers that have cleared the way in his record-setting career. Sampson, who’s rushed 52 times for 745 yards and 12 TDs this season, has averaged 12.38 yards every time he’s touched the ball in his career with 5,374 all-purpose yards on 434 attempts for 60 TDs and a pair of 2-point conversions.

The accomplishments for Sampson extend beyond the field. He is an honor student, who carries a 4.32 grade point average and also was voted the Griffins' homecoming king. "When I came in as a freshman, I wasn’t thinking I would get some of these opportunities,” Sampson said. “It’s been a blessing with all the coaches and teammates I’ve played with. It’s very humbling.”

Pace-setter: Dutchtown RB Dylan Sampson churns out yards, breaks records with speed, toughness

VN Store

Back