'22 LA RB Dylan Sampson (Tennessee signee)

Correct, but pretty sure it was reported that Sampson has a 4.4 GPA. (Not sure how that translates to class rank, etc., but obviously a very good student.)
Give us all the academically brilliant running backs who truck fools!

Reactions: Orange.
I know that Sampson does not have Jeff Demps' 100 meter speed, 10.01 seconds. But he outruns everybody else on the field. How fast is he?

I know that Sampson does not have Jeff Demps' 100 meter speed, 10.01 seconds. But he outruns everybody else on the field. How fast is he?
Faster than Kamara. Key is both are actual football players as opposed to Demps.

Reactions: Orange.
7Owg.gif

BOOM.
Miss watching him play.

Faster than Kamara. Key is both are actual football players as opposed to Demps.

I know you intend that as a positive comment about Sampson. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to seeing him play for us. But I remember hoping that Demps would not get the ball on kick-off. Then he'd get it and run a touchdown. Defenders appear to misjudge Sampson's speed, and then he's down the field. But that MFing Demps was something else. He'd catch the kick-off and skadoosh, he was on the other end of the field for six points.

This may sound like convenient thinking... and maybe it is.... but I think there is a significant window for Heupel's strategy. I think to the degree some of the highly rated kids are motivated by NIL promises... there's a high risk for locker room drama and jealousy. That's especially true for the significant number of 4/5* busts.

If he's finding guys with all of those great personal qualities and talent too... who specifically ARE NOT expecting immediate NIL riches before earning them on the field... then the lack of drama and disruption could make it a better team.
I think NIL could have the same effect on football that one and done has had on basketball, where you see a lot of mid-size schools dominating the playoffs because they recruit very good — but not the most highly touted — players who tend to stick around for 3 or 4 years and become a cohesive unit. If NIL and the transfer portal does in fact create a lot of drama at these schools pulling in all the 5 stars, it may leave the door open for teams filled with more head-down, nose-to-the-grindstone types.

I know you intend that as a positive comment about Sampson. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to seeing him play for us. But I remember hoping that Demps would not get the ball on kick-off. Then he'd get it and run a touchdown. Defenders appear to misjudge Sampson's speed, and then he's down the field. But that MFing Demps was something else. He'd catch the kick-off and skadoosh, he was on the other end of the field for six points.
Track guy playing football. Not enough instincts for the latter…discipline for the former. That doesn’t discount your latent dread at facing his athleticism…just preference for football players in the long term.

VN Store

Back