‘23 LA QB Arch Manning (Texas commit)

Exactly....
The proper amount of time is based on w/l record. Nothing else matters.
The experts here on VN say the number is three years.
I wear orange britches so I believe in a year zero. Call it at 4 years.
In Heupel’s case I’ve said repeatedly that this year is incredibly important to look good this season, even if our W/L record isn’t what we hope for it to be. I don’t think it’s as black/white as used to be given that we really don’t know what lies ahead with the NCAA. And while It may be awhile before the ncaa states the punishment, I’m one of those that believe that the ncaa keeping us in limbo is worse than actually handing down sanctions.

In Heupel’s case I’ve said repeatedly that this year is incredibly important to look good this season, even if our W/L record isn’t what we hope for it to be. I don’t think it’s as black/white as used to be given that we really don’t know what lies ahead with the NCAA. And while It may be awhile before the ncaa states the punishment, I’m one of those that believe that the ncaa keeping us in limbo is worse than actually handing down sanctions.
You are right.
Not knowing about the sanctions has to hurt recruiting.
We have some SEC level talent now. I have to think in 3 years we will have less.
We have to make some noise this year to get the attention of the recruits or it will be over quickly for New Coach. The program is in a terrible situation that no HC alone can solve.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
You are right.
Not knowing about the sanctions has to hurt recruiting.
We have some SEC level talent now. I have to think in 3 years we will have less.
We have to make some noise this year to get the attention of the recruits or it will be over quickly for New Coach. The program is in a terrible situation that no HC alone can solve.

This whole post is confusing given your previous posts about Heupel likely being fired in 3 to 4 years. Your last sentence, which I underlined, is correct. No HC alone can solve this mess. Barring a complete disaster, firing Heupel in the next 3 to 4 years would simply amplify our problem. This program has become toxic to potential candidates. We need to get through the NCAA sanctions and allow Heupel to work through the program's issues, which will very likely include a declining talent base over the next 2 to 3 years. Our new AD has already received a taste of the difficulty in replacing our head coach due to the current state of the program. I don't see him making a change at HC of the football program for at least 5 years and probably longer.

There is no patience with a losing coach.
Hiring a new coach every few years gives the fans false hope for improvement.
Since CPF the average HC term is three years.
New Coach will not get 6 years.
Time will tell.
Churning head coaches every 3 years is precisely why this program continues to erode rather than seeing improvement.

Churning head coaches every 3 years is precisely why this program continues to erode rather than seeing improvement.

Yes and no. Yes we obviously need a coach in here that lasts longer but the last three, it was time for the to go. Writing was on the wall. It's as simple as that. So keeping them any longer than we did wouldn't of changed anything. Our coach just needs to show progress every year and not go way backwards in years 3 or 5.

Yes and no. Yes we obviously need a coach in here that lasts longer but the last three, it was time for the to go. Writing was on the wall. It's as simple as that. So keeping them any longer than we did wouldn't of changed anything. Our coach just needs to show progress every year and not go way backwards in years 3 or 5.
Yes. That was because our previous AD's were incompetent.

Of coarse you are correct about calls from the cheap seats, calls from 7 figure donors are seldom ignored. Beating four cupcakes and a couple of SEC bottom feeders while getting blown out by teams with a pulse will not sell very many tickets. Big dollar boosters consider themselves owners of the program. 70K people in the stadium looks empty and reflects poorly on the owners. Calls from the few will be answered.

Heupel likely isn’t going anywhere in 5 years. We have got to stop this hire and fire every 3 years garbage. Because all it’s going to get us is the repeated cycle. Think about it.

People like you complain about TN hiring coaches. Yet what good coach is gonna look at TN thinking regardless of the situation, I only have 3 years or I am gone? Don’t give me the money excuse. Matt Campbell proves hiring a coach isn’t just about money. Dude turned down massive offers from other places yet stayed at Iowa State.

At some point we are going to have to give a head coach some time to rebuild this thing.

While I agree with you it’s not really that simple right now. With what he have done this past 15 years, it’s created a really bad situation. Now it’s to the point that no really good HC is going to consider coming here. So we have to hire lesser guys and hope they can turn it around. But it’s hard to that when you are changing regimes every 3 years.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Heupel likely isn’t going anywhere in 5 years. We have got to stop this hire and fire every 3 years garbage. Because all it’s going to get us is the repeated cycle. Think about it.

People like you complain about TN hiring coaches. Yet what good coach is gonna look at TN thinking regardless of the situation, I only have 3 years or I am gone? Don’t give me the money excuse. Matt Campbell proves hiring a coach isn’t just about money. Dude turned down massive offers from other places yet stayed at Iowa State.

At some point we are going to have to give a head coach some time to rebuild this thing.
These days, the 5-year deal is no more—especially at Tennessee. If Heupel has a losing record for his first 3 years he's a goner... UNLESS he beats Florida or Alabama in one of those years. Somehow I think Heupel is gonna turn this thing around. He DID beat Kiffin both times they played each other in their respective head coaching jobs in Florida. All we can do is pray... and RECRUIT like crazy.

Reactions: tnutater
These days, the 5-year deal is no more—especially at Tennessee. If Heupel has a losing record for his first 3 years he's a goner... UNLESS he beats Florida or Alabama in one of those years. Somehow I think Heupel is gonna turn this thing around. He DID beat Kiffin both times they played each other in their respective head coaching jobs in Florida. All we can do is pray... and RECRUIT like crazy.

Then TN will more than likely be a perpetual 7-8 win team for the foreseeable future.

Here is Arch dropping a dime at almost 60 yards at the Clemson Camp this weekend:

What a stud. Clemson is his first visit. Not sure what to read into it other than he would be a fool not to look at Clemson whose most recent QB was a #1 draft pick.

Trevor Lawrence would’ve been the #1 pick if he would’ve gone to mtsu. Lawrence was a rare can’t miss talent.. like arch probably is

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
Sounds like we don't have much of a chance to get him but there is still time. He is only a rising Junior. A lot could change between now and his signing day but I just don't see it.

A lot of people are talking Clemson but I don't see him leaving the SEC. I am banking on Alabama, LSU, or Ole Miss as his landing spots. What are your thoughts?

I'm going with Kiffin at Ole Miss.

iu

VN Store

Back