'20 LA LB Brandon Williams (Virginia Commit)

Ron Swanson

Offense Wins Championships.
8461533.jpg

OLB
6-3
CLASS OF 20
NEW ORLEANS, LA
(ISIDORE NEWMAN)

Brandon Williams, Isidore Newman, Outside Linebacker

Brandon Williams, 2020 Weakside defensive end - Rivals.com

Brandon Williams - Hudl

Vols offered back in March and he and his family visited Knoxville on 4/14.

Visiting for cookout this weekend per 247.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is,Does the fact Peyton and Eli went to Newman,cause this kid to want to be a VOL?

My question is,Does the fact Peyton and Eli went to Newman,cause this kid to want to be a VOL?

If that's a factor, why not include Ole Miss. That's where Eli went. If he picks us, I believe it will be because of Pruitt and our staff.

One of those slated to be in town is New Orleans defensive end Brandon Williams. Williams attends Newman High School, which is also home of the Manning family.

“I talked to Peyton when I was in middle school,” Williams said.

“Tennessee wasn’t on my mind then. I’m very good friends with Cooper Manning and Archie. Cooper Manning has a daughter who’s a junior. I’m very good friends with her. So I’m around the family alot. Hopefully, I can very soon have an opportunity to sit down with Peyton and talk to him about Tennessee.”

Williams is a 6-3, 255-pound end t who has a good feel for the Vols after seeing them twice in 2018.

“When I first got offered by Tennessee, I didn’t know too much about them,” Williams said. “Then I started doing my research and I realized just how prestigious of a program they are. They are a top 10 historical program in the nation. There’s no doubt about that. As far as their fan base, it’s one of the most loyal and diehard fanbases I have seen in sports period. They have some of the best facilities in the nation. They have everything possible for a player to go there and succeed right away. That’s very attractive to me.

“I was up there a couple of times last year so I have seen just about everything. I’m looking forward to going to the basketball game on Saturday. That will be really cool to see the number one team in the country. Also strengthening my relationship with the coaches and some of the current players there. That will be a great thing. The more I ask to them the more comfortable I am with them. That’s really a big thing for me. I want to be comfortable with the people I could possibly be spending the next four years of my live with.”

In addition to seeing the Vols twice last year, the 4-star prospect also saw Alabama and LSU. In April, Williams will see Florida for the first time. William said more unofficial visits to other schools are possible this spring and summer and he has an idea of what he’s looking for.

“I want to have a very good relationship with the coaches. I want to be able to build my trust in them as well as believe that the next four years of my life I’m in the best hands. The fanbase is big to me. I want fans that hold me accountable for the mistakes I make while also acknowledging a good job. That has alot to do with the culture of a place,” Williams said.

“The culture is a huge thing for me. I think that’s the foundation of the program. If you don’t have a good culture you won’t have a very good program. A school like Tennessee has a great curvature and tradition. Last thing is it has to have kind of that homey feeling. Kind of the same kind of feeling I had when I visited my current high school and I just knew that it was the right school for me.

“Choosing Newman was the first time I really had that feeling that it where I was at was right for me. I truly believe that the college I pick will have the same kind of feeling in my heart.”

Williams made the decision to attend Newman after he and his family moved back to the US after spending several years overseas.

“I was born in Houston. We moved to Sidell, Louisiana when I was one and lived there till I was five. My parents worked for Shell. We went to Asia for 5 years. They worked on a project there. We moved back here when I was 11. I had never played a down of football in my life and didn’t really know what it was. When I was 11 I was really a big rugby player. I actually remember telling my dad that I thought football was for wusses and they were taking away fro the real men that played rugby,” Williams recalled.

As for his game as a football player, Williams believes his ability to do different things is what has gotten him so much attention from colleges.

“My versatility,” Williams said of his strength. “I play defensive end, but I have the athletic ability to stand up and play in coverage against tight ends and running backs. I actually played cornerback in middle school. I think I have a good work ethic. I think I have a pretty high football IQ.”
--Hubbs

“Every time I go to Tennessee, one thing that always stands out to me is just the fan support,” said Williams. “I really feel like there’s not many places like it in the nation. The fans are diehard, complete Vol fans. Even coming back from Tennessee, I talked to a handful of Vol alums in the airport in Atlanta. It’s just impressive to me how an actual city that’s not a college town can have just so much college support everywhere. It’s just crazy.”

“(I got) just a little more one-on-one time with the coaches, just kind of building my relationships with them,” he said. “Had fun going to see the number-one team in the nation play basketball. That was pretty cool. “I was actually impressed,” Williams added, referring to the top-ranked Tennessee basketball team’s win Saturday against West Virginia, which drew a sellout crowd inside Thompson-Boling Arena. “I didn’t know that their fan support was that big for basketball.”

Williams said he spent plenty of time with a few of Tennessee’s coaches, including quality control analyst Brandon Deaderick — who previously trained Williams in the New Orleans area — assistant coach David Johnson and co-defensive coordinator Chris Rumph, who’s also the Vols’ outside linebackers coach. Deaderick is “a close friend of my family,” Williams said, “so it’s always nice to talk to him.”

“Got to talk to Coach Rumph, looking at some film — practice film and game film of the position I’d possibly be playing for them. That was pretty cool,” Williams said. “I also watched some film with Coach Deaderick — some NFL film included. That was also pretty cool, to be able to see some NFL film. Also got a good chance to talk with Coach Johnson and kind of build my relationship with him.”

“They like how I can end up being sort of an all-four linebacker for them,” he said. “When I talked to Coach Pruitt, he compared me to Rashaan Evans, a guy that he recruited out of high school. Kind of like me, he played defensive end in high school, and they used him at all four linebacker spots for ‘Bama. “Obviously, that was Coach Pruitt’s defense up there, and he kind of transitioned that to Tennessee, so he sees a lot of similarities in me and him.”

Williams, a talented four-star defensive end from Newman, has made a hobby out of visiting Florida and Tennessee. He's been the Knoxville as much as any campus in the country. Dan Mullen has also given Williams plenty to mull over in recent months as the Gators aim to make some noise in The Boot. LSU has yet to offer but continues to recruit Williams. Until an offer is extended, the Vols may be quietly leading the way.

- VQ

VN Store

Back