‘23 LA CB Jordan Matthews (Tennessee)

This kid says he's neck and neck with Dylan Sampson during track meets. That's saying a lot. Sampson has run 10.49 before.

Loved his detailed interview too.
Martinez gets a hold of this guy and he will ball.

Sampson reminds me of the speedy, smaller backs that seemed to kill us every time we used to played UF…Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Brandon James..

Last edited:
Sampson reminds of the speedy, smaller backs that seemed to kill us every time we played UF…Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Brandon James..
Same thing with Squirrel White. I know he’s a WR but still he’s the same type of guy that would smoke us for 70 yards on a jet sweep. Glad we are starting to be the guys with those weapons.

That would be amazing!
I don’t think Mitchell is extremely likely, but would love to get him. I’d say Ahmad Brown would be next. I don’t understand the hype around Conyer. Kentucky isn’t know for their elite HS football talent pool and he seems to get beat A LOT in his highlights and only seems to be able to recover because of how bad the opposing team’s QB is at underthrowing the ball. His highlights are very underwhelming in what is probably the bottom 1/3 of competition in the southeast. Hopefully he can be a star but in my opinion he’s not that impressive

Sounds like he'll be camping at LSU next week. They've got 3 CBs committed already, a lot of other offers out including 2 new ones this week, so it's clear they're not 100% in on him yet.

He's one of 5 realistic CBs on our board, IMO, along with :
Cristian Conyer - Vols lead
Jakeem Jackson - Vols lead
Rickey Gibson - my guess is Vols lead, OV this month
Cameren Fleming - my guess is Vols lead

Sounds like he'll be camping at LSU next week. They've got 3 CBs committed already, a lot of other offers out including 2 new ones this week, so it's clear they're not 100% in on him yet.

He's one of 5 realistic CBs on our board, IMO, along with :
Cristian Conyer - Vols lead
Jakeem Jackson - Vols lead
Rickey Gibson - my guess is Vols lead, OV this month
Cameren Fleming - my guess is Vols lead
Think we take 8-10 dbs? Seeing as how we lose both safeties next year

So he's since been offered at camps by Bama and LSU and took an OV to Michigan June 3rd, but Texas still feels really good. From their 247 yesterday:

"Texas has been in a strong position with four-star Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn cornerback Jordan Matthews for the last year. Nobody has invested more in that recruitment from a time and relationships aspect than the Longhorns and it may pay off for them. Matthews has been on fire this spring and summer performing well on the track and in 7v7. Alabama recently offered and the LSU staff jumped into the race this past weekend. Matthews is an LSU legacy, so we were always told that the Tigers could be a game-changer for him. Michigan recently hosted him and Clemson jumped in the mix as well. This is now turning into a heavyweight battle for the Louisiana defensive back, but I don't think there's been any drop in confidence for Texas. The Longhorns were on him extremely early and treated him like a major priority. Steve Sarkisian has also been incredibly involved in the recruitment showing Matthews how much he's wanted and needed at Texas. The Longhorns are set to host him in July for their barbecue and will likely push hard to close the deal there."

He's still coming here next weekend so what will be our shot.

So he's since been offered at camps by Bama and LSU and took an OV to Michigan June 3rd, but Texas still feels really good. From their 247 yesterday:

"Texas has been in a strong position with four-star Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn cornerback Jordan Matthews for the last year. Nobody has invested more in that recruitment from a time and relationships aspect than the Longhorns and it may pay off for them. Matthews has been on fire this spring and summer performing well on the track and in 7v7. Alabama recently offered and the LSU staff jumped into the race this past weekend. Matthews is an LSU legacy, so we were always told that the Tigers could be a game-changer for him. Michigan recently hosted him and Clemson jumped in the mix as well. This is now turning into a heavyweight battle for the Louisiana defensive back, but I don't think there's been any drop in confidence for Texas. The Longhorns were on him extremely early and treated him like a major priority. Steve Sarkisian has also been incredibly involved in the recruitment showing Matthews how much he's wanted and needed at Texas. The Longhorns are set to host him in July for their barbecue and will likely push hard to close the deal there."

He's still coming here next weekend so what will be our shot.
Getting a highly ranked CB out of Louisiana, close to zero

Along with Texas, Tennessee is another team that has continued to garner buzz with Matthews’ camp heading into the official visit this weekend. In other words, a lot will hinge on this upcoming visit to Knoxville, his first. Those with knowledge of Matthews’ recruitment indicate this will be the Louisiana native’s last official visit before the fall, but that the Vols have legitimate staying power in this. One source believes Tennessee is slotted behind Texas at this point but ahead of both Alabama and LSU at this stage.

-on3

As for Jordan Matthews, it feels like Tennessee and Texas are ahead of the hometown LSU Tigers. That’s not to say that LSU can’t make up the ground but at this point it appears Texas is out in front heading into this weekend visit in Knoxville. We do know that the Matthews family has high expectations for this visit so the Vols are poised to make a good impression.
-VQ

VN Store

Back