‘23 LA CB Jordan Matthews (Tennessee)

Why are you morans trashing this kids thread with all of this dead and gone coach talk? What did he do to deserve that?

I am just trying to protect the prospect from the POTENTIAL that there are enough UT fans that would lower the bar and bring back a coach that went fully to the other side. Another FOOL ME ONCE guy....

When he first came on the field... man! One of the hardest hitters I'd ever seen play for UT. I thought he would be one of the best to ever play defense for Tennessee. He might've been if his head had been on straight.
What were his issues while on campus? As for what he’s in prison for, I can’t help but think many of us on here would have done the same. Anybody who messes with the wife, the babies, or Mama is taking their life in their hands.

What were his issues while on campus? As for what he’s in prison for, I can’t help but think many of us on here would have done the same. Anybody who messes with the wife, the babies, or Mama is taking their life in their hands.
it seemed like that entire class lane brought in had character issues

Really the best thing for this program would have been to have hired Cutcliffe whenever Kiffin bolted. I remember they interviewed him and wanted him but the administration wouldnt let him bring his staff from Duke. Which was so stupid on their part because we really needed someone to come in right away and that was trusted to stabilize the program at that point.

Do I think Cutcliffe would have been the long term answer? No...I dont think he would have been able to keep up with the big boys in recruiting but I bet we wouldnt have went through 3 coaches in a decade. He would have been able to stabilize the program and prep it for for a much bigger name.

Solid post. I think we were too hung up on hiring a coach with a recruiting reputation. But Tennessee recruits itself. Besides, it was Cutcliffe who was the most instrumental in landing Manning. He can recruit. He recruited to Duke well enough to go to 6 bowl games, including a 10-win season and division championship. He recruited to Ole Miss well enough to win 10 games. He could’ve recruited to Tennessee.

Most importantly, Cutcliffe is one of the best teachers in the history of the game of the most important position in sports: quarterback. He would have always had a star at that position, which a) covers up other deficiencies and b) attracts talent at other positions.

I think you’re spot-on. Cutcliffe would’ve been the sensible hire and probably the best fit.

Solid post. I think we were too hung up on hiring a coach with a recruiting reputation. But Tennessee recruits itself. Besides, it was Cutcliffe who was the most instrumental in landing Manning. He can recruit. He recruited to Duke well enough to go to 6 bowl games, including a 10-win season and division championship. He recruited to Ole Miss well enough to win 10 games. He could’ve recruited to Tennessee.

Most importantly, Cutcliffe is one of the best teachers in the history of the game of the most important position in sports: quarterback. He would have always had a star at that position, which a) covers up other deficiencies and b) attracts talent at other positions.

I think you’re spot-on. Cutcliffe would’ve been the sensible hire and probably the best fit.
Hamilton made a massive error in having a very low buyout for Kiffin. I think he was panicked by how much Fulmer was costing in his buyout and wanted to avoid that scenario in the future. What he didn’t account for is firing Kiffin early would’ve been for cause in all likelihood and so no buyout and that a substantial buyout would’ve likely kept Kiffin here or provided a big enough cash payment to apply to a new coach. Hamilton then panicked again when Kiffin left us at the worst possible time and he tried to keep part of Kiffin’s staff intact and so he went with Dooley rather than Cutcliffe (which was totally insane even at the time). I think Cutcliffe would’ve been quite good as UT’s HC and had a high floor. So yes, it should’ve been him once Kiffin bolted and a lot of heartache would’ve been avoided.

Call me crazy, but I would absolutely love to have Butch as a special teams coach on this staff with how good he recruited and considering our special teams were always the best in the country. He’s by no means a HC at any level, but he brought in incredible talent

2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SPECIAL TEAMS FEI RATINGS | Football Outsiders

Ranking #8 overall is not too shabby if you like the FEI way of ranking which takes multiple aspects of special teams play into account.

He has a stint in rehab. Gf questioned whether he was bipolar even his mother said he hadn’t been like himself lately. Kid had some issues from something. It’s not like this was just a fight gone wrong he strangled the guy to death with some power cords.

Hamilton made a massive error in having a very low buyout for Kiffin. I think he was panicked by how much Fulmer was costing in his buyout and wanted to avoid that scenario in the future. What he didn’t account for is firing Kiffin early would’ve been for cause in all likelihood and so no buyout and that a substantial buyout would’ve likely kept Kiffin here or provided a big enough cash payment to apply to a new coach. Hamilton then panicked again when Kiffin left us at the worst possible time and he tried to keep part of Kiffin’s staff intact and so he went with Dooley rather than Cutcliffe (which was totally insane even at the time). I think Cutcliffe would’ve been quite good as UT’s HC and had a high floor. So yes, it should’ve been him once Kiffin bolted and a lot of heartache would’ve been avoided.

One thing to keep in mind…the buyout for firing a coach is seperate from the buyout a coach has to pay to break the contract. So, for example, a coach can have a $10M buyout to get out of his contract with the school (which his new employer must pay) and a $5M buyout that the school pays him to fire him.

One thing to keep in mind…the buyout for firing a coach is seperate from the buyout a coach has to pay to break the contract. So, for example, a coach can have a $10M buyout to get out of his contract with the school (which his new employer must pay) and a $5M buyout that the school pays him to fire him.
The buyout numbers could be the same or different depending on the negotiations. Something that just dawned on me is maybe Hamilton didn’t want to terminate the Kiffin holdovers due to the buyouts of those coaches and so the poorly negotiated buyouts for Kiffin and the others who left once again backfired on Hamilton.

You’re PARTLY correct. “He went with Dooley” because Cut turned him down…it wasn’t a “rather than” situation. After Cut he got turned down by Troy Calhoun and (if rumors are true) turned down a chance to interview with Kyle Whittingham…that’s the even more flaming outrage if true.

Well, there was that robbery at the Pilot, that he was involved in.

The buyout numbers could be the same or different depending on the negotiations. Something that just dawned on me is maybe Hamilton didn’t want to terminate the Kiffin holdovers due to the buyouts of those coaches and so the poorly negotiated buyouts for Kiffin and the others who left once again backfired on Hamilton.

Not sure I would really want to have a scumbag over the barrel who wanted to be elsewhere. It was a lose lose situation after he signed on the dotted line on the way in.

But it’s not though….it’s generally always in the program’s favor on the coach leaving to go to another program.

You’re giving Hamilton way too much credit. Kiffin saw that country bumpkin from SC coming and used Tennessee to rebuild his career like a pimp uses a whore. Kiffin negotiated his exit when he took the damn job.

Reactions: hooter vol

VN Store

Back