‘23 LA CB Jordan Matthews (Tennessee)

One sign that the Vols are "healthy" is when they start pulling good players out of LA, CA, TX, IL, OH, SC, VA, etc. The Vols will generally depend on GA and FL along with in state for talent. Getting help in 1's and 2's from these other states seems to be a key.
Yep, but we need to do a better job with the top players in Tennessee. I know we can’t sign them all, but when tosu, Bama and others sign them its a letdown.

Yep, but we need to do a better job with the top players in Tennessee. I know we can’t sign them all, but when tosu, Bama and others sign them its a letdown.
I don't know the whole solution there. The demographic divisions of the state do not help. Memphis is 387 miles from K'ville... 223 to Tuscaloosa... 381 to Baton Rouge... 319 to U of Arkansas... 170 to Starkville... 74 to Ole Miss... 343 to Auburn... It is like recruiting another state.

Nashville is closer but much of the growth is from people moving in who aren't UT fans.

I don't think this will improve to the level we would like to see until UT starts winning. That will win fans and help with homer recruiting.

I wish Heupel had been gifted a legacy class like Jones was. He would know what to do with it.

I just want to sign good players. I don’t care where they come from.
I agree with this. Theoretically, signing top quality players from your home state should be easier than landing equivalent talent from out-of-state. However, our program has been so down for so long now that this is simply theoretical at this point. Once Heupel gets us winning consistently again, in-state recruiting should become easier.

I agree with this. Theoretically, signing top quality players from your home state should be easier than landing equivalent talent from out-of-state. However, our program has been so down for so long now that this is simply theoretical at this point. Once Heupel gets us winning consistently again, in-state recruiting should become easier.
There are so many transplants in the midstate that there is no loyalty. It’s not like Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. It’s different and it will always make things more difficult.

I just want to sign good players. I don’t care where they come from.
Yeah the whole state just isn’t what it used to be. There are so many transplants in Nashville (California, Illinois, Ohio, New York, Michigan) and Knoxville (New York, Ohio) that banking on in state guys being hardcore about the University of Tennessee is foolish. Combine that with having limited blue chips in state compared to the big boys makes locking our state down less of a priority.

The focus on in state is landing a few of the truly talented guys and then raiding the blue chip heavy states. I envy Texas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama for being able to fill in massive roster spots with local talent that ranks extremely high nationally. It’s a luxury we’ve never had. The Florida teams could fill out entire championship rosters from 4 in state cities. Same with Texas. Georgia can build foundations in classes purely from Greater Atlanta

Yeah I think a mixture of Tennessee not being the Tennessee of old for so long and also many of the in-state kids are transplants that didn’t necessarily spend most of their lives in TN. We are moving in the right direction though.

I don't know the whole solution there. The demographic divisions of the state do not help. Memphis is 387 miles from K'ville... 223 to Tuscaloosa... 381 to Baton Rouge... 319 to U of Arkansas... 170 to Starkville... 74 to Ole Miss... 343 to Auburn... It is like recruiting another state.

Nashville is closer but much of the growth is from people moving in who aren't UT fans.

I don't think this will improve to the level we would like to see until UT starts winning. That will win fans and help with homer recruiting.

I wish Heupel had been gifted a legacy class like Jones was. He would know what to do with it.

A) Nashville has been better to UT than any other area in the state and country, certainly better than East Tennessee. Which is why some of y’all need to stop acting like UT is the University of East Tennessee. It’s the University of TENNESSEE.

B) Of course Nashville is comprised of people from all over. That’s how major cities work. It’s also true of Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Dallas, etc. That’s why some of y’all need to stop acting like instate talent is the end all, be all in recruiting. Everyone in other states didn’t grow up a fan of those states’ schools, either.

On the 247 Recruiting chat last night, a question was posed to RC on how likely Matthews could flip to LSU because if all the ties. What exactly happened between the family and LSU’s staff?

I‘m paraphrasing, but he said he was sure they would still work him. Others posted that if having a dad and coach that both played there still didn’t help mend fences, then it probably won’t. I’m curious what happened
LSU mods already said pre-commitment (when everyone assumed it was Tejas) that LSU would fight for him right up through signing.

VN Store

Back