'20 LA ATH Joel Williams (Kentucky commit)

They do it to everybody though, unless all of their kickers, etc. are walk-ons.
Yeah but not every school has special teams players in every class, so it hurts the comparison. I guess it doesn't make much difference at the end, once the classes fill out, but at this stage it can be confusing.

LMAO is there a reason you chose ESPN, which nobody seems to respect, instead of 247?

Could it be that on 247, 7 of our 10 commits (not including our LS) are 4-stars, but only 8 of Florida's 17 are?

Florida is ranked 6th overall at 247 and Rivals. I’m thrilled with their ratings. The reason I posted ESPN is because I saw it on Twitter, it was relevant to our discussion, and it was super-easy to cut and paste. Sorry to disappoint, I know you were hoping for a more nefarious reason.

Florida is ranked 6th overall at 247 and Rivals. I’m thrilled with their ratings. The reason I posted ESPN is because I saw it on Twitter, it was relevant to our discussion, and it was super-easy to cut and paste. Sorry to disappoint, I know you were hoping for a more nefarious reason.
I know there's no point in reiterating this, but it has already been pointed out to you that the class rankings don't mean anything in June, when you have twice as many commits as the schools you're trying to compare your class to.

But good job rocketing up 5 spots past UNC, with their whopping 4 four-star recruits and 15 three-stars. Good company you share.

Reactions: ionaVOL
I know there's no point in reiterating this, but it has already been pointed out to you that the class rankings don't mean anything in June, when you have twice as many commits as the schools you're trying to compare your class to.

But good job rocketing up 5 spots past UNC, with their whopping 4 four-star recruits and 15 three-stars. Good company you share.

When the schools that have competed for NC's the past 4 or 5 years have average star ratings of 3.9 and 4.0, and your school has an average star rating of 3.5 with the same number of croots..... you are probably not going to be able to keep up. We know from experience. :(

When the schools that have competed for NC's the past 4 or 5 years have average star ratings of 3.9 and 4.0, and your school has an average star rating of 3.5 with the same number of croots..... you are probably not going to be able to keep up. We know from experience. :(
Yep things can change, but at this point Florida's class is looking like a fringe top-15 class when all is said and done, IMO. It's not terrible, but not worth puffing your chest out about either.

I get that, but we can’t predict the future, we can only look at what’s presently happening. Remember where this discussion started because I think some later arrivers to the thread have missed some of the context. A few posters were bashing Mullen because he had lost on a commitment or two, and were also lauding and completely slobbering over Kirby. Well since then, Mullen has gained 4 commitments and UF’s class has risen from 9th to 6th and has serious positive momentum right now, and Kirby has had a decommitment plus had to kick their best WR off the team. So the tables completely reversed in perfect timing on the “wow, Kirby is the greatest and Mullen can’t recruit” crowd. It’s been a fun thread but it’s time for it to fade away.

I get that, but we can’t predict the future, we can only look at what’s presently happening.
That's been the whole point. What is presently happening is that Mullen has loaded up with filler. A predominantly 3-star class that limits the potential in the future. The class is getting relatively full, with a relatively low proportion of blue-chip recruits on board. There would be nothing wrong with where the class sits if you know that you have every position addressed and can now sit back and take blue-chips only. Do you trust Mullen to do that?

Would you rather have 8 four-stars and 2 three-stars, with a top-20 ranking? Or would you rather have 8 four-stars and 10 three-stars, with a top-6 ranking?

insufferable

/thread
giphy.gif

Do you trust Mullen to do that?

Would you rather have 8 four-stars and 2 three-stars, with a top-20 ranking? Or would you rather have 8 four-stars and 10 three-stars, with a top-6 ranking?

I absolutely trust Mullen at this point. And I disagree that he’s got some “filler” class. We’ve seen a Jim McElwain filler class and this ain’t it. UF’s class is ranked over 20 spots higher right now than at the same time last year. On Rivals, UF has nine 4-stars and eight 3-stars. Six of those eight 3-star kids are from Florida. How many times have we heard that a 3-star Florida kid is like a 4-star anywhere else. And this is not hyperbole, there is proof in the NFL draft. You could make an all-Pro team out of dudes in the NFL who were 3-star recruits from the state of Florida. Florida, Miami and FSU alone have a who’s who list of 3-star recruits who were/are absolute studs. Jachai Polite, Jawan Taylor, Vosean Joseph just from this past NFL draft, all three star Florida kids. And I could list dozens more.

Look, Florida is still missing out on dudes they simply can’t miss out on. Lamarkcus Bowman, all-world 5-star RB from Lakeland of all places, is committed to Clemson. That cannot happen. And there are other program-changers that Mullen and staff have let get away. But from where the program was under McElwain, Florida is catching back up rapidly and Mullen is to be credited for that.

Agree, thread is done.

If anyone wants to continue discussion on recruiting, I’ll see you on another topic in a fresher thread.

Yeah but not every school has special teams players in every class, so it hurts the comparison. I guess it doesn't make much difference at the end, once the classes fill out, but at this stage it can be confusing.
I see your point, but I think it evens out. We are just more aware of it when it's a UT player.

Apologies to the hall monitor types, but I for one will talk smack to a Gator all day long, particularly one as unmoored by reality as Jaws.

If the mods want to move all of this to the Recruiting Off-Topic forum that's fine with me, I've just been meeting Jaws where he is.

Apologies to the hall monitor types, but I for one will talk smack to a Gator all day long, particularly one as unmoored by reality as Jaws.

If the mods want to move all of this to the Recruiting Off-Topic forum that's fine with me, I've just been meeting Jaws where he is.
Jaws got what he wanted out of this. The cant see the forest for the tree types just don't realize it.

Just keep it in one thread imo and it’s fine. That dude is a gator version of OrangeDefense.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

VN Store

Back