Ky governor's race

giphy.gif

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Bevin looks like he'sgoing to lose one of the reddest states.
It may be red in recent Presidential elections, but all politics are local. Andy Beshear, the Democrat candidate, is the son of former Gov. Steve Beshear. The dad served 6 years in the Kentucky House, 4 as Attorney General, 4 as Lt. Governor, and 8 as Governor. He was Governor until 2015. I would say that the dad had long coattails. And, that "one of reddest states" elected the older Beshear and had him in office until 4 years ago. Bevin ran into the son (and current atty gen) of a very popular Governor of 4 years ago. I wouldn't read too much into this one.

Last edited:
Per Real Clear Politics, Matt Bevin is the most unpopular governor in the country. His approval rating is only 34%. I don't keep up with Kentucky politics, so I'm not sure why. Did he get caught wearing a Duke bball sweater or something?

Reactions: BreatheUT and Mick
Per Real Clear Politics, Matt Bevin is the most unpopular governor in the country. His approval rating is only 34%. I don't keep up with Kentucky politics, so I'm not sure why. Did he get caught wearing a Duke bball sweater or something?
No idea. Maybe he was terrible.

There was a big brouhaha here a couple of years ago over teacher pensions. It permanently damaged him.

In the last 100 years, Kentucky has had a Democrat in the governor's office for 76 of them. This includes 40 of the last 48 years. You may think Kentucky is the reddest of states, but the governor's office is the bluest of blue.

No. Republicans won supermajorities in both the house and senate. They also won every down ballot race by at least 100k. Trump and McConnell will both win by 15-20% next November.
Trump stumped for him and even held one of his famous pep rallies the night before the election, yet he still lost.
Hard to view it as anything but a positive.

Trump stumped for him and even held one of his famous pep rallies the night before the election, yet he still lost.
I'm sure it will be reported as political armageddon by tomorrow morning. These "litmus test" off year elections get injected with narrative every single time.

Bevin’s approval rating has been in the low to mid 30’s the past 18 months. The fact that he only lost by 6k votes is a minor miracle.

I'm sure it will be reported as political armageddon by tomorrow morning. These "litmus test" off year elections get injected with narrative every single time.
You’re already seeing it on twitter and some on cable. Talking about how this result should make Mitch McConnell nervous about next years election.

Seems like the rest of the Republican ticket did well-doubt this says anything about 2020.

Seems like Bevin was uniquely awful.

VN Store

Back