‘23 KY CB Cristian Conyer (Tennessee commit)

"I do like Tennessee a lot," he said at the time. "It's definitely a team I'll be looking at going forward."

While some of his family members like Kentucky, Conyer said earlier this year that he's not necessarily focused on staying in-state, and he doesn't expect to receive much pressure to play for the Wildcats — or for fellow in-state school Louisville.

"Kentucky and Louisville are the main teams down in Kentucky, so I grew up liking both of them," he said in March. "My family hasn't really pushed me to commit anywhere yet. I think they just want the best future for me."

Louisville, Cincinnati and hometown school Western Kentucky already have hosted Conyer on unofficial visits so far this month.

Conyer said in March that he was impressed by his first look at Tennessee in June 2019.

"They had a nice field, nice facilities, nice locker room," he said earlier this year. "I didn't really go all in it. I just went to, like, the practice fields and the weight room, and the locker room and stuff like that."
-Callahan

The 6-foot-1.5, 170-pound Conyer received a scholarship offer from Tennessee nearly six months ago. The Vols have stayed in contact with him since Sept. 1, when college coaches were allowed to begin reaching out to prospects in the 2023 class, and he said they’re one of the teams that have caught his attention among his 11 current offers.

“Overall, I like Tennessee. I like the feeling I get, the atmosphere of it and stuff like that,” said Conyer, who also holds offers from Kentucky, Oregon, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Cincinnati and Purdue, among others.

“It is pretty early, but they’ve made a good impression on me. I feel like they are definitely in the top discussion when I talk about my commitment.”

Heupel, Tennessee defensive backs coach Willie Martinez and linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary spent time with Conyer on Saturday.

“I like Coach Martinez,” Conyer said. “I talked to him after the game — him and Coach BJ — kind of a building a relationship with them. They were telling me that they’re really trying to have me, and they really need players like me to come to Tennessee. …

“I was talking to Coach BJ and Coach Martinez. (They were) just telling me that this is a good program to be a part of. I actually talked to the head coach. He was telling me that he really wants me to come up there, and he can use people with my length and speed up there playing corner.”

Conyer said he liked what he saw from the Vols’ secondary during Saturday’s game, including Tennessee’s four interceptions. Vols senior cornerback Alontae Taylor appeared to have returned an interception for a touchdown before officials ruled that he stepped out of bounds during the return.

“One cornerback, that number 2, had a pick-six but they say he stepped out,” Conyer said, referring to Taylor. “I don’t think he did. …

“I feel like they are moving in the right direction. I was watching their DBs warming up. I feel like they have good intensity and their DBs are really advanced, and I feel like they’ll be in the League one day.

“Number 2, 26 and 4, Coach Martinez said, will definitely be in the League next year,” Conyer added, referring to Taylor, Vols senior defensive back Theo Jackson and junior cornerback Warren Burrell. “And I told you about number 2 just got that pick-six. I could see myself playing there with those kinds of guys.”

Conyer said he has been hearing “a lot” from Tennessee. The Vols are one of the teams currently talking with him most frequently, he said, along with Kentucky, Cincinnati and Mississippi State.

“I’ve been talking to (Tennessee), like, once a week,” he said. “Coach BJ is trying to stay in contact, build a relationship with him — him and Coach Martinez.”

The Vols are high on Conyer’s list for multiple reasons, including Tennessee’s relative proximity to his hometown. He plays for the Middle Tennessee-based Tennessee Select 7-on-7 team, where two of the Vols’ current commitments — wide receiver Cameron Miller of Memphis, Tenn., and linebacker Elijah Herring of Murfreesboro, Tenn. — have been among his teammates.

“It’s just a three-hour drive — three-and-a-half, four — so it’s fairly close to home,” Conyer said of Tennessee. “I feel like they make me feel like family, and they’re really trying to get me to come up there, and they’re really interested.

“They said I’m their top prospect (from Kentucky). Me and the other kid that committed in the Class of ‘22, we’re their top prospects,” Conyer added, referring to Vols linebacker commitment Kalib Perry of Georgetown, Ky.
-Callahan

“It was a lot of fun. I was able to talk to coach BJ [Brian Jean-Mary] and coach [Willie] Martinez,” the 2023 target told Volquest. “They were telling me going into the game who to watch in the secondary. I really liked the Alontae Taylor interception. I don’t think he stepped out.

“Their defense had four turnovers, so that was fun to see. They were telling me how they are recruiting a lot of tall and fast players like myself and how they want to get me back up for another game – a night game - sometime this year.”

“I like Tennessee. They have a great track record of being ‘DBU’ and getting guys to the league,” Conyer said. “I feel like I have a great relationship going with coach Jean-Mary and Martinez. It was good to come back for a game day. I was up there for a camp day in June, but wasn’t able to participate because I had a pulled hamstring.”

“Cameron Miller and Elijah Herring are pushing hard for me to come to Tennessee,” Conyer concluded. “They tell me Tennessee is the place to be and that they really like the program.”
e.cain

Asked on the pod who the most important defensive recruit not named Caleb Herring and AP immediately said Vic Burley but then said he might go with this kid. Described him as an Emmanuel Mosley type without needing to gain wait. Said he has NFL potential.
Plus it would be great to take him from KY after they have bragged about getting kids from TN that we dont want

It seems he does not have an On3 profile yet. I was curious how they rated him.

From the KY Rivals site:

Bowling Green (Ky.) South Warren athlete

Cristian Conyer is one of Kentucky's top in-state recruiting priorities from the Class of 2023 and that has been apparent for many months, even though Conyer's class is just now stepping into the spotlight. The four-star prospect is ranked the No. 2 player in Kentucky by Rivals.com, as well as the No. 17 athlete in the Class of 2023 nationally.

Clarence Conyer, the prospect's father, spoke with Cats Illustrated over the weekend and updated us on his son's plans with the spring fast approaching and almost everyone in the recruiting world set to take to the road.

"I know he's planning on attending a junior day at UT (Tennessee) on March 5th and I know he's been talking with Vince Marrow and he's got to get back to UK," Conyer's father said. "I'm not sure exactly when we're going to get back up there but the plan right now is to visit UT, the University of Kentucky, and probably Florida State at some point before the summer breaks out. Those are really the only three (visits) he has on his agenda."

But that doesn't mean those are the only three schools involved. Cincinnati, Louisville, Oregon, Purdue, Vanderbilt, and Western Kentucky have also offered. Conyer's father mentioned this weekend that Indiana, West Virginia, Missouri, and Michigan State are some of the other schools that have been in contact with him lately.

"He's been to Tennessee a couple of times," his dad said. "He's probably been to UT and Kentucky more than he's been anywhere else.

"Florida State has been reaching out here lately. We're going to be in the area during spring break so we told him we may bring him by there just to get a feel for it," Conyer's father said.

Conyer is listed as an athlete at Rivals.com and perhaps for good reason. He has that kind of versatility.

But his father said that while some schools like Conyer at wide receiver most see him as a defensive back.

"He could play a little bit of offense and to be utilized in the return game as well," his father said. "Cristian wants to play DB in college and he wants an opportunity to do some on offense."

VN Store

Back