‘23 KY CB Cristian Conyer (Tennessee commit)

If you are watching sophomore tape you need a hobby.
I actually have too many hobbies and obligations.

Looking at football prospects film- especially one that is a vol target- is therapeutic for me.

Not that you care....but his sophomore film made him look like a potential 5 star player.
Junior was nothing.
Senior film is much better than junior year so far.

I actually have too many hobbies and obligations.

Looking at football prospects film- especially one that is a vol target- is therapeutic for me.

Not that you care....but his sophomore film made him look like a potential 5 star player.
Junior was nothing.
Senior film is much better than junior year so far.
Imma have to see this Sophomore tape for myself.

Link!?

Perhaps once Conyer arrives at UT he will get coached up? Have you not seen enough evidence from this coaching staff that they can make players better?
At the corner position? Absolutely not. I’ve seen zero development at that position. Especially when compared to every other position group on the roster, and I don’t want to hear about Alonte Taylor going in the 2nd round either. He was always an elite athlete and was good enough to start at corner as a true freshman in the SEC. He was drafted because of what he did in the senior bowl and the combine and not necessarily his stellar on field play last year. This staff has done many great things since arriving here. Developing DBs and specifically corners isn’t one of those things, and I personally think that if we’re not in the top half of pass defenses in the SEC next year that Martinez needs to go

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
At the corner position? Absolutely not. I’ve seen zero development at that position. Especially when compared to every other position group on the roster, and I don’t want to hear about Alonte Taylor going in the 2nd round either. He was always an elite athlete and was good enough to start at corner as a true freshman in the SEC. He was drafted because of what he did in the senior bowl and the combine and not necessarily his stellar on field play last year. This staff has done many great things since arriving here. Developing DBs and specifically corners isn’t one of those things, and I personally think that if we’re not in the top half of pass defenses in the SEC next year that Martinez needs to go
Wrong.

Imma have to see this Sophomore tape for myself.

Link!?
There’s nothing special about it and there may be 1-2 minutes of him actually playing the position we’re recruiting him as. This guy simply isn’t very good at the moment. Could that change? Perhaps, but this staff slow playing Scott in favor of him makes not sense at all

Which part? We have one of the worst pass defenses in all of college football, and it’s not just guys getting beat in coverage. They’re also bad at playing with the ball in the air which is usually because coaches aren’t spending enough time on teaching how to defend passes in practice. We have arguably the worst corner play in the SEC outside of maybe Vandy

There’s nothing special about it and there may be 1-2 minutes of him actually playing the position we’re recruiting him as. This guy simply isn’t very good at the moment. Could that change? Perhaps, but this staff slow playing Scott in favor of him makes not sense at all
Unless they somehow know more than you. I think that's the option I choose.

Unless they somehow know more than you. I think that's the option I choose.
You think they know more about DB play than Nick Saban and Mel Tucker both whom have coached some of the best defenses of all time too? Because despite their current poor secondaries I would trust their evaluation on DBs more than Martinez and Heupel’s, and both of them want Scott and have zero interest in Conyer

You think they know more about DB play than Nick Saban and Mel Tucker both whom have coached some of the best defenses of all time too? Because despite their current poor secondaries I would trust their evaluation on DBs more than Martinez and Heupel’s, and both of them want Scott and have zero interest in Conyer
We just torched Saban’s secondary. He must have forgot how to do it.

We just torched Saban’s secondary. He must have forgot how to do it.
And we did so with the best offensive mind in college football and a top 3 QB and elite WR. Regardless it doesn’t change the fact every person in America would trust his evaluation of DBs more than Willie Martinez and Heupel despite the fact that he just outcoached him. If you were a HC who would you pick between Saban, Heupel, Martinez and Mel Tucker to find and coach your DBs?

And we did so with the best offensive mind in college football and a top 3 QB and elite WR. Regardless it doesn’t change the fact every person in America would trust his evaluation of DBs more than Willie Martinez and Heupel despite the fact that he just outcoached him. If you were a HC who would you pick between Saban, Heupel, Martinez and Mel Tucker to find and coach your DBs?

It still baffles me that people are still defending Martinez. What’s even more baffling is the talent excuse. Vol fans will say well we just don’t have the talent. We are currently ranked 129th in passing defense. So I guess teams like North Texas, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, Bowling Green, UCONN and UNLV somehow have recruited better DBs than us? I call pure BS.

Our OL, TEs, WRs, RBs, DL and even LBs have all improved from last year. The only group that hasn’t are the DBs. That’s coaching.

Mel Tucker has fielded some of the most putrid pass defenses I've ever seen the past two seasons.

It still baffles me that people are still defending Martinez. What’s even more baffling is the talent excuse. Vol fans will say well we just don’t have the talent. We are currently ranked 129th in passing defense. So I guess teams like North Texas, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, Bowling Green, UCONN and UNLV somehow have recruited better DBs than us? I call pure BS.

Our OL, TEs, WRs, RBs, DL and even LBs have all improved from last year. The only group that hasn’t are the DBs. That’s coaching.
The only reason I don’t want to get rid of him just yet is because I’m sure his relationship with Matthews and Gibson played a part in landing them and firing them could possibly effect their recruiting. If we don’t see drastic improvement by this time next season though it’s time to pull the plug and find someone else

Both have had misses too.

But that wasn't your justification. Your justification was the current secondary which is composed almost exclusively of guys that these coaches didn't choose.

You do this a lot. You push opinions as if you know more than you do. You don't even know which players have interest in UT. The less the staff chases kids that have no interest... the better.

Both have had misses too.

But that wasn't your justification. Your justification was the current secondary which is composed almost exclusively of guys that these coaches didn't choose.

You do this a lot. You push opinions as if you know more than you do. You don't even know which players have interest in UT. The less the staff chases kids that have no interest... the better.

So is our DL comprised of guys that Garner chose? How about the OL? How many of those are Elarbees guys? Is Hooker one of Heupels guys? Just stop with the excuses. Our secondary is by FAR the worst position group on either side of the ball. It was bad last year but somehow it’s gotten worse.

So what’s the excuse for that? Get out of here if you say talent. Because I have listed teams that don’t even recruit in the top 75 that have better secondaries than we do. How is it that we have seen development at every position EXCEPT DBs?

Reactions: valoisvol
So is our DL comprised of guys that Garner chose? How about the OL? How many of those are Elarbees guys? Is Hooker one of Heupels guys? Just stop with the excuses. Our secondary is by FAR the worst position group on either side of the ball. It was bad last year but somehow it’s gotten worse.

So what’s the excuse for that? Get out of here if you say talent. Because I have listed teams that don’t even recruit in the top 75 that have better secondaries than we do. How is it that we have seen development at every position EXCEPT DBs?

So, name the reasonably available coach that would have taken the same assets and had markedly different results. What is the value add to a fan trashing the existing position coach when the HC and DC are dictating game plan. Lots of scheming going on where we are bringing more than 4 and that changes the dynamics of especially corner play as safeties have different responsibilities. The composition of our recruiting class should tell you what our HC thinks are areas of need.

Which part? We have one of the worst pass defenses in all of college football, and it’s not just guys getting beat in coverage. They’re also bad at playing with the ball in the air which is usually because coaches aren’t spending enough time on teaching how to defend passes in practice. We have arguably the worst corner play in the SEC outside of maybe Vandy
Wrong again

So, name the reasonably available coach that would have taken the same assets and had markedly different results. What is the value add to a fan trashing the existing position coach when the HC and DC are dictating game plan. Lots of scheming going on where we are bringing more than 4 and that changes the dynamics of especially corner play as safeties have different responsibilities. The composition of our recruiting class should tell you what our HC thinks are areas of need.
Yep, it could be we just don’t have top level players playing in the defensive backfield. Plus with the wide open offenses now with so many good systems and receivers it’s almost impossible to stop. I’m guessing no one posting knows if the coaching is the reason for poor performance. I’ll leave that up to the head coach to decide. Does look like we are recruiting some good prospects for the future.

Reactions: hooter vol
Until the front four can get home without blitzing the current corners are never going to get it done. Look at the pass interference on Fant when Kool-aid got the ricochet pick. None of our DBs will ever make that pick. The front 4 stops the run well. Banks didn’t dial up pressure against Florida and the front never got home enough to make a difference. Richardson had a field day. The defense needs an overhaul with better players.

Who is Scott?
What makes him demonstrably better than Conyer?

Reactions: Billy Antrim

VN Store

Back