‘23 KS QB Avery Johnson

Geez, his photo gallery is interesting. His face above looks like he’s carrying some baby fat still (which would be fine and natural at his age) but the kid is incredibly lean. Like shockingly so. And 6’2” 167 is probably generous. He’s a skinny lanky kid.

With his roundball skills, Barnes maybe should get in on the recruiting too. Is that offense similar to Heupel's? Wouldn't be much of a learning curve for him and you can never have too many gamers playing quarterback.

Reactions: Volfan1000
“Tennessee is a great school and has a great football program, as well,” said Johnson, who’s ranked the No. 159 overall prospect and No. 11 quarterback in the 2023 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“I was very blessed to be offered a scholarship to play there, but definitely caught off guard, as well — but in a good way.”

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound Johnson said he learned of the offer Monday during a conversation with Tennessee quarterbacks coach Joey Halzle.

“He said he really liked my athletic ability and just being able to make plays outside the pocket and run the ball on top of being able to make throws inside the pocket,” said Johnson, who also holds offers from Arkansas, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, TCU, Minnesota, Virginia Tech and Washington State.

Johnson said he’s interested in Tennessee for multiple reasons, starting with the opportunity to play in the SEC. But he’s still getting more familiar with the Vols.

“The thing about the program that interests me is that they are playing (in) the best conference in college football, and I love their style of play in quarterbacks,” he said. “But I’m definitely still trying to learn about the school.”
-Callahan

Sophmore highlights here

Hard not to like what you see as a sophomore in high school. I've seen some Senior highlights that don't look nearly that good. He's got some obvious issues that need fixed, but what 16 year old QB doesn't? Either way, he's got the sort of natural talent you can't teach.

Reactions: LittleVol
Bumping this thread because I see this kid as our backup option if Dante Moore goes with Notre Dame.

With his roundball skills, Barnes maybe should get in on the recruiting too. Is that offense similar to Heupel's? Wouldn't be much of a learning curve for him and you can never have too many gamers playing quarterback.

Tennessee recruiters trying to open up the midwest........... (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska)

Reactions: BucksnortVol

VN Store

Back