Knoxvillians know that soft-bread love in their bones, but nobody seems to know exactly where it comes from

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
I never realized how these type of hoagies were pretty much exclusive to the Knoxville area.
No wonder I’ve never been able to find them anywhere else.

This is the story of steamed sandwiches and Knoxville.
Very interesting read.

“They Like That Soft Bread” — THE BITTER SOUTHERNER

Excerpts from the article.

All Knoxvillians know about steamed sandwiches. In fact, all Knoxvillians know steamed sandwiches so very deeply in their consciousness that they rarely consider their standard hot-ham-and-cheese has, in fact, been steam-heated. It’s so widespread — such a default — that most people seem puzzled if you poke around to find out why we do it this way. You get a lot of shrugs, a lot of “Well. I never really thought about it.”

In Knoxville, we understand hot deli sandwiches are called hoagies; we understand they should be soft and squishy; we understand (at least implicitly) they should be made that way by a joyride in a Fresh-O-Matic steamer.

Every UT alum from 1965 to 2000 seems to remember (or, “remember”) hitting Sam & Andy’s for late-night fortifications, and everybody remembers those soft, steamy, chewy sandwiches, but nobody seems to know precisely when the Fresh-O-Matic intersected with the hoagie.

Last edited:
I asked my dad, he reminded me that we would get roast beef, provolone, a little mayo and a little horseradish on one of those steamed hoagies at Sam and Andy’s before UT games back in the 70’s. Such a good memory.

I put down my share of ham and swiss hoagies at Sam and Andy's during my student days (early '70s), very good!! Also downed my share of PBRs at the Roman Room with George. We also used to get hoagies from the Mother Hen food truck which was parked in front of Hess Hall, they weren't great.
I'd never heard of a hoagie until I got to Knoxville, in Middle Tennessee we called them submarine sandwiches. Liquor stores in Knoxville were called package stores.

Last edited:
I put down my share of ham and swiss hoagies at Sam and Andy's during my student days (early '70s), very good!! Also downed my share of PBRs at the Roman Room with George. We also used to get hoagies from the Mother Hen food truck which was parked in front of Hess Hall, they weren't great.
I'd never heard of a hoagie until I got to Knoxville, in Middle Tennessee we called them submarine sandwiches. Liquor stores in Knoxville were called package stores.
I remember chili dogs from the Mother Hen food truck.

Reactions: Vjcvette

One thing I will always be eternally grateful to my Dad for is him taking me to the Roman Room when I was a kid so I could meet George and have a cheeseburger.

Crushed me that they moved, then closed right as I got to UT, but I was so thankful I got to experience the real thing.

One thing I will always be eternally grateful to my Dad for is him taking me to the Roman Room when I was a kid so I could meet George and have a cheeseburger.

Crushed me that they moved, then closed right as I got to UT, but I was so thankful I got to experience the real thing.
6B3060AD-E6A3-452E-BADD-43A01762EBA2.jpeg
George Captain

Yes, I feel lucky to have known George. I can remember my Papaw taking me there and then having meals there as a college student. I wish someone in the Captain family would reopen the Roman Room.

We have a couple of places to get them them in the Tri. I hit up Model City Tap House in Kingsport when I'm craving one. As a kid I always got them at Woodstone. I never knew it was a regional thing.

We have a couple of places to get them them in the Tri. I hit up Model City Tap House in Kingsport when I'm craving one. As a kid I always got them at Woodstone. I never knew it was a regional thing.
Lucky you, I checked out the menu for Model City Tap House, and the sandwiches look great, there is nothing like that here in a Tampa Bay.

Lucky you, I checked out the menu for Model City Tap House, and the sandwiches look great, there is nothing like that here in a Tampa Bay.
I'll add that to the list of reasons to love East Tennessee. I'll have to hit up Woodstone soon and and see if theirs are as good as I remember.

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
LOL, It would cost less to fly up to Knoxville, those things are like $1500.00
@$!# that's pricey. Will a regular food steamer or a bamboo streamer basket work, I wonder? I found a couple counter top ones relatively cheaper at 500. That's still pretty rich for my blood though.

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
@$!# that's pricey. Will a regular food steamer or a bamboo streamer basket work, I wonder? I found a couple counter top ones relatively cheaper at 500. That's still pretty rich for my blood though.
Yeah, too rich for my blood as well. I’m just going to fly up soon and pretend I’m coming just to see relatives but really am there for the steamed hoagies.

Yeah, too rich for my blood as well. I’m just going to fly up soon and pretend I’m coming just to see relatives but really am there for the steamed hoagies.
Food is half the reason to travel anyway. I'll let you know if I find a home solution. There has to be a way.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman and MAD
We may have crossed paths as I also ate off the Hen in front of Hess, Sam & Andy's, and had George pull me a few beers in the late 60's and early 70's at the RR.

Reactions: Tin Man and MAD
Heresy. Not one mention of Gus' Good Times deli in that article. Or even this thread so far. So, I had to throw them in.

My son has been to Knoxville once at an age he can remember. He wasn't too awful old when his great grandmother was still alive and took him to the zoo. Anyways, we went to the UT/ SoCar game this fall for my birthday present. My only requirement was that he could have anything he wanted to eat. AFTER he had a trip to Gus'. I hadn't been in years. I got my Reuben. first place I ever had one and ate them ever since. He got the Philly. All steamed of course. And boy did he eat. He's 17. After the game we were walking back to the car. I asked if he wanted something to eat. He said he wouldn't mind getting something form Gus' again. His heart sank and he let out a grunt when we saw the after game line. we parked around the corner from 17th Street Market. Ducked in there and ate some of the best wings I think we ever had. He duplicated them as best he could on his smoker for the Super Bowl. And he did a pretty darn good job. So his take away from Knoxville was Gus' and 17th Street Market.

Now, there was a place back in the 80's in Cookeville that did steamed hoagies. Right next to TnTech campus. Market and Deli called The Mouse Trap. Long since closed, but I got steamed Reubens in there quite a few times in Grad School. I'm not aware of anywhere else in Cookeville these days that offers steamed hoagies.

Heresy. Not one mention of Gus' Good Times deli in that article. Or even this thread so far. So, I had to throw them in.

My son has been to Knoxville once at an age he can remember. He wasn't too awful old when his great grandmother was still alive and took him to the zoo. Anyways, we went to the UT/ SoCar game this fall for my birthday present. My only requirement was that he could have anything he wanted to eat. AFTER he had a trip to Gus'. I hadn't been in years. I got my Reuben. first place I ever had one and ate them ever since. He got the Philly. All steamed of course. And boy did he eat. He's 17. After the game we were walking back to the car. I asked if he wanted something to eat. He said he wouldn't mind getting something form Gus' again. His heart sank and he let out a grunt when we saw the after game line. we parked around the corner from 17th Street Market. Ducked in there and ate some of the best wings I think we ever had. He duplicated them as best he could on his smoker for the Super Bowl. And he did a pretty darn good job. So his take away from Knoxville was Gus' and 17th Street Market.

Now, there was a place back in the 80's in Cookeville that did steamed hoagies. Right next to TnTech campus. Market and Deli called The Mouse Trap. Long since closed, but I got steamed Reubens in there quite a few times in Grad School. I'm not aware of anywhere else in Cookeville these days that offers steamed hoagies.
Great story with your son. Next time I visit Knoxville I definitely will head to Gus’ Good Times Deli.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Great story with your son. Next time I visit Knoxville I definitely will head to Gus’ Good Times Deli.

If I'm lying, I'm dying...If I went home and said let's jump in the car and run to Knoxville (from Cookeville) to eat at Gus' for dinner, he'd be in the car waiting. I have never eaten anything BUT a Reuben at Gus'. And they load up the meat by God. But, he swore by that Philly. I don't know how their burgers rank on the K-town scene but they smelled and looked legit. And there's a good vibe from their fries.

The old I’m 17 and don’t be taking my picture look at Gus’ before the UT/SoCar game. If only he knew I just made this public. Cool story, and I knew it was hanging in the wall, we were at the register placing order and paying and I looked over and pointed at the pic of Willie Gault, and punched him and said look, I ran track with him in high school. He was neutral. Couldn't get him to wear orange. Not sure who he pulls for anymore. Used to wear Bama stuff to piss off his LSU mom. He's probably holding out now for his buddy back in GA to get to Notre Dame. Top TE 2021 recruit to ND. been committed since after his Soph year. If mine had a little more height and speed, ha had a slight chance of getting looked at. But, he had to sit out this year and let his back heal. But, he says he's playing his senior season. He's up to 190 now, but he was a 5'8" 170 pound OL last year and manhandled guys. He earned a spot starting but his linebacker role was flooded with seniors, so they put him on a feable line and he went lights out. He don't look it in this pic, but he is a stout kid. Prob got me by 40 pounds when I was his age. But, we didn't have cell phones, and i spent alot of time outside running an sprinting in the yard. I had a hang up on being fast.
F042F08A-F5DB-490A-AB9E-263FA47A58F5.jpeg13F4687F-38F4-4425-A0F2-AE112FD8610B.jpeg6A173066-4094-492D-B0E3-E1B4A3DB0A52.jpeg

Last edited:
The old I’m 17 and don’t be taking my picture look at Gus’ before the UT/SoCar game. If only he knew I just made this public. Cool story, and I knew it was hanging in the wall, we were at the register placing order and paying and I looked over and pointed at the pic of Willie Gault, and punched him and said look, I ran track with him in high school. He was neutral. Couldn't get him to wear orange. Not sure who he pulls for anymore. Used to wear Bama stuff to piss off his LSU mom. He's probably holding out now for his buddy back in GA to get to Notre Dame. Top TE 2021 recruit to ND. been committed since after his Soph year. If mine had a little more height and speed, ha had a slight chance of getting looked at. But, he had to sit out this year and let his back heal. But, he says he's playing his senior season. He's up to 190 now, but he was a 5'8" 170 pound OL last year and manhandled guys. He earned a spot starting but his linebacker role was flooded with seniors, so they put him on a feable line and he went lights out. He don't look it in this pic, but he is a stout kid. Prob got me by 40 pounds when I was his age. But, we didn't have cell phones, and i spent alot of time outside running an sprinting in the yard. I had a hang up on being fast.
View attachment 259386View attachment 259387View attachment 259388
Another great story, loved the pics, wow, Gus was packed.

VN Store

Back