Kirkland's Tennessee football career might be finished

Fingers

Linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr.'s Tennessee football career might be finished.

Kirkland has not participated in spring practice due to lingering knee issues, and he's receiving treatment from Dr. James Andrews, a Florida orthopedic surgeon who is well known for performing elbow, shoulder and knee procedures on many high-profile athletes.

“He had a little bit of a chronic knee (issue)," Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt said during an interview with WNML on Wednesday. "He’s had a couple of surgeries on his knee. He is undergoing some treatment in Pensacola with James Andrews. It’s something that’s been done on several guys that play in the NFL, that’s really extended their careers.

"Right now, he’s doing that. We’ve talked about the rehab part of it this summer and even the possibility of him not playing next fall and just getting ready for the (2020 NFL) draft."

Darrin Kirkland Jr.'s Tennessee football career might be finished

Still a long time between now and fall. We will see, I can't imagine he would get drafted at all in 2020 if he can't even play a game this year.

Reactions: 08Vol
Man. How many guys have ended their career with football after injuries the last few years?
The rigors of playing in the SEC coupled with the pure Sh!t show of a strength and conditioning program under the previous regime is rearing its ugly head. I feel so stupid for trying to support Butch it makes me sick.

That's what happens when you go play SEC schedules after an off-season of meditation based strength and conditioning.

And nothing against Darrin at all. Just goes to show there are real life casualties when you put a complete chuckle **** in charge of your program for 5 years.

Damn! I feel for the guy. He's been injured nearly his entire time, at UT. Just when you think he might be passed it all, this! His pro-prospects will not be good. Injury-prone LB's are a liability, in the NFL. I wish him the best. He must do what is best, for him. VFL

Reactions: RollerVol
I've given Kirkland a hard time in my criticisms of his play but I genuinely hope that he gets those knees fixed.

I think we all knew last season that something was amiss.

Doubt he will make much of a dent now in the NFL with that bad knee but you never know he could be the next Justin Coleman too.

Reactions: RollerVol

VN Store

Back