Kirk Herbstreit

The titans will never have a modicum of support that the Vols have in this state. I often wonder if the titans would like to leave, because the lack of a dedicated fanbase? I read on another site, there was more NY Giant fans in the stadium for the season opener.

Given what has happened with Nashville's population, no, unless the Titans are super hot/winning a lot(like last year the stadium was packed pretty well towards the end of the regular season with Titans fans, then the playoff game vs Cinci it was rocking pretty well) they're not going to have anywhere near the fan support of UT. That's the case with 95% of the NFL teams though really. You've got the Steelers, Packers and weirdly Raiders given their troubles of late(success wise anyway) who will always pack their stadium and/or travel really well. Beyond them(and maybe I'm blanking on like a 4th or something), it's all dependent upon how good the NFL team is. NFL teams don't have built in fan bases via students or alumni like colleges do.

Back in 99 through, 2008ish? I guess?, the Titans were probably in the top 10 in the league in fan support I'd argue. Now they were really successful from 99-03 and some decent success 06-08 which obviously factored in, but Nashville was still largely native Tennesseans.

Nowadays Nashville is filled with so many people who have moved from out of state(started with an influx of people from Detroit/Michigan due to the automotive industry, and now Nashville just booming in growth in so many fields, so many people from so many other states now) that you don't really have quite the same Titans loyalty that you once did.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
How sensitive some people in fanbases get over what a commentator says about their team will never cease being hilarious to me.

Kirk is one of, if not the best college football analyst in the business. He's going to be wrong sometimes, but more often he's right. And I've seen him both praise Tennessee and criticize Tennessee over the years, going back to the very beginning of gameday. He bases what he says about programs based off what he thinks about them in those current moments.

It's his job.

It's nothing to get upset about. There isn't some secret conspiracy where he's rooting against the Vols. It's just opinions in the moment.
Kirk, is that you? Jokes aside, I dont mind him that much. He has a job to do and he does it pretty well IMO. Yea, seems like he has a little angst toward UT for the Schiano thing but oh well

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Kirk, is that you? Jokes aside, I dont mind him that much. He has a job to do and he does it pretty well IMO. Yea, seems like he has a little angst toward UT for the Schiano thing but oh well
Kirk has hated Tennessee and Tennessee fans since Media darling of the moment Greg Schiano was rejected by Tennessee fans and he wasn't hired by Tennessee. I remember a Tweet by Kirk pretty much saying the Tennessee fans should shut up and go along with the hiring of Greg Schiano.

Given what has happened with Nashville's population, no, unless the Titans are super hot/winning a lot(like last year the stadium was packed pretty well towards the end of the regular season with Titans fans, then the playoff game vs Cinci it was rocking pretty well) they're not going to have anywhere near the fan support of UT. That's the case with 95% of the NFL teams though really. You've got the Steelers, Packers and weirdly Raiders given their troubles of late(success wise anyway) who will always pack their stadium and/or travel really well. Beyond them(and maybe I'm blanking on like a 4th or something), it's all dependent upon how good the NFL team is. NFL teams don't have built in fan bases via students or alumni like colleges do.

Back in 99 through, 2008ish? I guess?, the Titans were probably in the top 10 in the league in fan support I'd argue. Now they were really successful from 99-03 and some decent success 06-08 which obviously factored in, but Nashville was still largely native Tennesseans.

Nowadays Nashville is filled with so many people who have moved from out of state(started with an influx of people from Detroit/Michigan due to the automotive industry, and now Nashville just booming in growth in so many fields, so many people from so many other states now) that you don't really have quite the same Titans loyalty that you once did.

Yep. Completely agree. But I will say this…I think transplants are more apt to adopt an NFL team in a new city, whereas they’ll remain loyal to their college team. I have an Indiana friend who loves the Titans now, but is still a huge IU fan. My Kansas brother in law has adopted the Titans over the Chiefs, but maintains his KU loyalty.

So a lot of these transplants will and do adopt the Titans. But they still don’t have the generational history and fanhood like UT…or the Packers, Bears, Chiefs, etc.

That said, I’m a Middle Tennessee native and current resident. I love the Titans. But I would rather see UT win an SEC title than the Titans win the Super Bowl. UT football just means more.

I don't get it, Herbie has been very complimentary of UT under Heupel. And he has said Nico is the best player in the country so props on recruiting too. If someone is mad that he was hard on UT under Pruitt, Butch or Fooley, was he wrong?
Come on man. Herbie & and Danielson of CBS, and CBS as a whole; all hate UT and want to see us lose. And lose badly. Some of our beloved fans can't even watch the channel 5 broadcast without breaking into a case of the hives...🤣

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Proving ESPN wrong is so satisfying. BUT...
We almost gave this game away in the end and this needs to be corrected. This kind of play will not last against Georgia or Alabama. Might not last against LSU or Kentucky. If we have a lead, DON'T SIT ON IT! Play the game for 60 minutes whether we are up by 1 or 100.

Proving ESPN wrong is so satisfying. BUT...
We almost gave this game away in the end and this needs to be corrected. This kind of play will not last against Georgia or Alabama. Might not last against LSU or Kentucky. If we have a lead, DON'T SIT ON IT! Play the game for 60 minutes whether we are up by 1 or 100.
I'm happy Tennessee won but the Tennessee offense isn't built for running down the clock.

Reactions: vols40
We slowed down the pace almost too much allowing Florida to catch their breath. That allowed them to make it close and almost win it in the end. THANK GOD for the bye week so we can try to get this issue solved.

I don't get it, Herbie has been very complimentary of UT under Heupel. And he has said Nico is the best player in the country so props on recruiting too. If someone is mad that he was hard on UT under Pruitt, Butch or Fooley, was he wrong?
He picked FL to win yesterday, **** him.

Time to give up on the Titans dude. Nobody (sane) in this state wants to build losers a two billion dollar stadium.
Hate to tell you but the new stadium is coming. It’s more than just about the Titans. It’s about a Super Bowl, Final Four, Concerts, etc.

The titans will never have a modicum of support that the Vols have in this state. I often wonder if the titans would like to leave, because the lack of a dedicated fanbase? I read on another site, there was more NY Giant fans in the stadium for the season opener.
I was at the Titans game. There were not more NY fans at the Titans game. It’s makes a good story line but not true.

I’m from the boro, but was in East TN when the Titans cane to town.. I never could get into them, especially when there were so many Bammers on the team 😂.. UT was and is my first love… I do like the Preds though and have been to a few games, no cross-allegiance conflicts there lol

VN Store

Back