Kirby Smart worried about NIL, signs contract in excess of $100 million

Respectfully disagree to an extent.

There were more than a few people here who held it against Alontae Taylor for skipping the bowl game in order to prepare for the Senior Bowl and combine.

Fans generally don’t like chance, unless it benefits them as fans. Fans are more resistant to change when they feel that change benefits something outside of their own self interest.

I maintain whenever someone is worried about how much money someone else is making, more often than not there’s jealousy involved.
Do you really think most/a good chunk of the complaints against NIL would go away if there was a relatively low cap? Like if it was formatted as the minor league NFL, where the college maximum was below the NFL minimum, or lower?

Of course UT fans were upset that a UT player didnt play. It hurt their team. I dont remember as many being upset that Purdue was down a bunch too. I know many were cheering their WR leaving for wherever he just went, maybe USC. How many Ole Miss fans were happy at the end of the day that Corral stuck around to play the bowl game?

I’ve been saying for at least three years Dumb is Fulmer Jr.! He’s much more likely to be like Fulmer than Saban. Thank God we didn’t get hitched to a 100 million contract with Brutus!!! Although the collateral damage by him is well in excess of 100m! 🤯

Do you really think most/a good chunk of the complaints against NIL would go away if there was a relatively low cap? Like if it was formatted as the minor league NFL, where the college maximum was below the NFL minimum, or lower?

Of course UT fans were upset that a UT player didnt play. It hurt their team. I dont remember as many being upset that Purdue was down a bunch too. I know many were cheering their WR leaving for wherever he just went, maybe USC. How many Ole Miss fans were happy at the end of the day that Corral stuck around to play the bowl game?
Why are we even considering capping what an individual can make on the open market? Our desire to watch CFB does not supersede their ability to make money. We are asses to try to stop them

Why are we even considering capping what an individual can make on the open market? Our desire to watch CFB does not supersede their ability to make money. We are asses to try to stop them
I am not. Just pointing out the flaw in their argument.

That sounds like something I would say about George and their coach.

I do want to go on record for saying that I expect/predict Florida to quit on this year/coach, like they have many times in the past since it’s part of their culture.

So Florida is gonna quit on Napier this year?

I hope you are right

Their culture of quitting doesn’t help us. Spurrier stopped them from quitting that early in the year. It’s usually after game 6 they quit. We play them early each year when they still have high hopes. We are one of their top 4 games each year only because they have so much trouble with Florida St.

Big IF, but IF we can turn it around and if FL can turn around, Pups could be looking at 10-2 or 8-3 this season. A couple of years of that and the pitch fork crowd will be out in force in Athens.

Totally disagree. Yes Kirby has a bunch of rings a trophies. Yes he has been very successful. But he makes his 10 mil a year off the backs of these kids who rely on the cafeteria to be open to eat in some cases.

No i don't think every kid is entitled to 10k a month, but 2-3k/month is below the poverty level, so there's gotta be some kinda middle ground here. Before anyone says they get free room and board, have you ever lived in a dorm? Its not the Hilton.

Griping about NIL when you make more in a month than most folks do in a year is absurd. Besides, he and his Uncle Daddy Saban are using this same system to their advantage, so its hypocritical in more than 1 way.
$3k/month for one person is not below the poverty line, just saying.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
$3k/month for one person is not below the poverty line, just saying.
Depends on where you live. It’s certainly close to below the line in Knoxville and even with tuition paid, you arent living the high life. Sure you can live in a dorm, with another dude, and tons of rules and expectations. Renting an apartment, buying a decent car to get around, paying for a cell phone, and eating anything besides what is given to you at the cafeteria will chew most of that up fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Depends on where you live. It’s certainly close to below the line in Knoxville and even with tuition paid, you arent living the high life. Sure you can live in a dorm, with another dude, and tons of rules and expectations. Renting an apartment, buying a decent car to get around, paying for a cell phone, and eating anything besides what is given to you at the cafeteria will chew most of that up fairly quickly.
No it’s not! The number for a family of 4 to be considered in poverty is $27,750. Now you can argue whether or not that’s too low but that is the official threshold to be considered below the poverty line. Therefore, one person living off of $36,000/year is no where close to living in poverty. It eats up most of your money; so what? That’s not the definition of poverty; not having disposable income. If you’re covering all of those expenses solely from earned income you’re far from living in poverty.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

If a scholarship athlete can’t live off $3K/month with room and board, medical and virtually all meals taken care of, the only logical conclusion is that student athlete is terrible at managing money.

You're right @AthensVol2007. I was wrong and looked at the family of four level. I can't believe how low it is for a single person. No way a family of four can survive on $27k a year without a lot of help/public assistance. It would require wages going up significantly, but that's really unpopular.

What I don't think is fair is to expect everyone to live in a dorm for four or five years so nobody has to pay them above the limits of the scholarship. That ship has sailed anyway. And to my original point, before it devolved into some tangential argument over poverty, Smart makes $6000 a day, so for him to gripe over his guys or any players making enough money to live is still absurd at best.

I have stayed in a dorm and it was a miserable experience. The lack of privacy itself was maddening. Having guests is virtually impossible. Community showers are pretty tough to deal with, especially with a packed schedule. Staying there 4 years would be pure insanity, much less 1 or 2.

I assume these guys share apartments and houses so they don't have to live in a dorm after year 1 or 2. So the total amount could be shared to make it a little less. I have no clue what average rent is in Knoxville. Around here its $1200-1500 for a 2-3 BR apartment in the city, so I assume its close to that there. You still have to pay utilities, so that's typically $300-500 a month, minimum.

So that gives them between $1500 - $2500 to pay for a phone, clothes, any kind of groceries that can't leave the cafeteria, a car, car insurance. I'm not sure what the public transportation is like up there, but its non existent here except very downtown business district. I also assume the cafeteria is not open 24-7, nor would I expect someone that lives off campus to make it for every meal.

That is not disposable income. These are bare necessities. If what you're saying is that all these things mentioned are not necessities, then no wonder people resort to crime when they start getting desperate. Based on my estimates, the only income they have gets chewed up fast at $3k a month in Knoxville. They might end up with a few hundred bucks of walking around money, assuming their car doesn't break down, they don't go see their momma, and they don't buy any Christmas presents.

In truth, Kirby's probably mostly worried about having to babysit a roster full of blue chip players who suddenly have disposable income of their own. And there's some validity to that. But if he's worried, then maybe some of that $100M contract would've been better spent on access to financial planners for student athletes to help them get adjusted to having some actual wealth, and on keeping them in the newspapers for all the right reasons. Instead, this reads like he's already trying to figure out how this is Mark Richt's fault.

VN Store

Back