Kirby Smart to the NFL?

So a person is blind by pointing out the fact that Smart has done no better than Richt over their first 3 years? Calm down there jr.
The issue with the smart vs first 3 years of richt argument is that richt wasn’t fired for his performance over his first 3 years. He was fired because the game seemingly passed him by and he had an issue of playing down to the level of the competition. His time at Miami further proved this. Also, richt never won a game as important as the OU playoff game that Kirby won. Kirby is 2-2 in his biggest games at UGA so far. Lost the natty, won the playoff game, and went 1-1 in SECC games. The smart=richt argument may play out to be true, but it’s far too early to tell.

Reactions: 05_never_again
The issue with the smart vs first 3 years of richt argument is that richt wasn’t fired for his performance over his first 3 years. He was fired because the game seemingly passed him by and he had an issue of playing down to the level of the competition. His time at Miami further proved this. Also, richt never won a game as important as the OU playoff game that Kirby won. Kirby is 2-2 in his biggest games at UGA so far. Lost the natty, won the playoff game, and went 1-1 in SECC games. The smart=richt argument may play out to be true, but it’s far too early to tell.
Yep. Richt wasn't fired for years like 2002 or 2012. He was fired for years like 2008, 2013, and 2015. The 2008 season in particular really seemed to turn the tide as far as how they felt about Richt. Stafford, Moreno, A.J. Green, and a host of other NFL players on it. They went 10-3 and were a top 10 team, but it was just such a huge underachievement relative to the talent they had.

Reactions: Atlanta917
Yep. Richt wasn't fired for years like 2002 or 2012. He was fired for years like 2008, 2013, and 2015. The 2008 season in particular really seemed to turn the tide as far as how they felt about Richt. Stafford, Moreno, A.J. Green, and a host of other NFL players on it. They went 10-3 and were a top 10 team, but it was just such a huge underachievement relative to the talent they had.
Absolutely. Cant have a let down like 08 when you have talent like Stafford, green, and Moreno on offense. It’s been a while now, but I’m pretty sure the defense was loaded with nfl talent too. It’s really surprising to me that richt fell off as much as he did. I didn’t think he’d win a natty at Miami, but I thought he’d make them respectable. Richt was an awesome person and I’m grateful for what he did at UGA, so I feel sorry for him that he went out like that. He didn’t even take the buyout money at Miami and put his own money into their IPF.

Absolutely. Cant have a let down like 08 when you have talent like Stafford, green, and Moreno on offense. It’s been a while now, but I’m pretty sure the defense was loaded with nfl talent too. It’s really surprising to me that richt fell off as much as he did. I didn’t think he’d win a natty at Miami, but I thought he’d make them respectable. Richt was an awesome person and I’m grateful for what he did at UGA, so I feel sorry for him that he went out like that. He didn’t even take the buyout money at Miami and put his own money into their IPF.
It was. The D had several guys who eventually played in the NFL, either right after that season or sometime later. The offensive line had 3 eventual NFLers on it who are all still in the league (Boling, Jones, Glenn).

The 2013 team was a huge letdown too and I think really set in motion the march to actually fire him. That team didn't lose much from the 2012 team that almost beat Alabama in the SECCG. Brought back Murray and Gurley along with a good offensive line and some defensive players but went 8-4 with a loss in the bowl game. Preseason #5, finished unranked. Admittedly they lost to good teams...a Clemson team that went 11-2 and won the Orange Bowl, a Mizzou team that won the East, went 12-2, and won the Cotton Bowl, a 9-4 Vandy team, and an Auburn team that went to the national title game...but that's always been the deal with Georgia. They are always just a notch or two underneath how good you'd expect them to be.

NFL teams are interested in him and Saban and Harbuagh yet I don't think they are too interested in making that jump...All are paid well

NFL teams are interested in him and Saban and Harbuagh yet I don't think they are too interested in making that jump...All are paid well
The reason smart and Saban won’t go to the nfl is because they’d give up they are best at, which is recruiting. While I believe Saban is also a great coach, his recruiting is what keeps Alabama so successful. Smart is just an elite recruiter at this point.

Smart didn't pass the interview test.

They gave him a 'D' for Dumb.

Kirby Dumb...…….get it?

VN Store

Back