Kim English

Lanier was the lead for JJJ. Don't think he was responsible too much for Keon, Springer or Walker. English has also helped land Mashack and Chandler. All of those guys could be credited largely to Barnes but our recruiting has hit another level after English arrived. I see no reason he cant help keep us landing elite studs.

No he wasn’t, that was Schwartz all the way.

don’t get me wrong I like English and I’d love for him to coach here if he makes a mid major stop and has some success.

Now I don’t give him nearly as much credit for recruiting as most because I think he’s just been in the right spot at the right time

He benefited from our success, but so is every assistant on this staff currently, our success helped land JJJ...it’s continued since.

JJJ was Schwartz
Keon was mainly Lanier and Oliver
Springer was mainly Oliver
Santi was Schwartz
Pons was Schwartz
Chandler was English

How involved with springer was Lanier?

I don’t recall
That was mostly Oliver, but Lanier was involved too...Oliver has multiple kids in Maze’s AAU program and is tight with Maze, so most of the kids in that program get to know Oliver.

This staff targets a small pool though so every kid gets recruited by the whole staff unlike a lot of schools, but it’s usually one guy that gets them in the door and has the best/longest relationship.

He benefited from our success, but so is every assistant on this staff currently, our success helped land JJJ...it’s continued since.

JJJ was Schwartz
Santi was Schwartz
Pons was Schwartz
Chandler was English

Good post with good info

It’s why I really discount the assistants and their value in recruiting. The grant williams era is the biggest part that made this happen and that coupled with Barnes history recruits itself imo. The assistants just land the plane

Good post with good info

It’s why I really discount the assistants and their value in recruiting. The grant williams era is the biggest part that made this happen and that coupled with Barnes history recruits itself imo. The assistants just land the plane
I think you need both...there are successful programs who don’t recruit that well at times and there are programs that recruit well and don’t have the success.

That was mostly Oliver, but Lanier was involved too...Oliver has multiple kids in Maze’s AAU program and is tight with Maze, so most of the kids in that program get to know Oliver.

This staff targets a small pool though so every kid gets recruited by the whole staff unlike a lot of schools, but it’s usually one guy that gets them in the door and has the best/longest relationship.

Wasn’t laniers son in the program too ?

I think you need both...there are successful programs who don’t recruit that well at times and there are programs that recruit well and don’t have the success.

I forgot to add the FBI stuff as being a factor

I think that adds to the perfect storm here

I forgot to add the FBI stuff as being a factor

I think that adds to the perfect storm here
Eh...we don’t recruit too many kids that involve those schools. We recruited Jabari Smith and still lost him to Auburn, so....we landed Mashack over nobody tied up in that, and beat out Duke and Kentucky for Chandler who weren’t involved in that stuff either.

Eh...we don’t recruit too many kids that involve those schools. We recruited Jabari Smith and still lost him to Auburn, so....we landed Mashack over nobody tied up in that, and beat out Duke and Kentucky for Chandler who weren’t involved in that stuff either.

No I am saying schools across the board being more “careful” now. Not just that we are now getting players against those specific schools

Does anybody else feel like he is our head coach in waiting? I see him handling a lot of head coaching responsibilities....almost like Barnes is prepping him to be a head coach. He seems to handle a lot of the coaching during timeouts with Barnes sitting back except at certain times when he is talking to a specific player.

English is a great young recruiter and seems to be a good overall coach that the players love. He has turned down other opportunities too. I can't tell if Barnes is prepping him to get a HC job or is prepping him to take over at UT in a few years.

I would love it if that's the case as we would have continuity with concepts and a great young coach who could keep UT at a high level for years to come and he is young enough to relate well to kids and bring in high level recruits. Thoughts?
I think English is going to be an amazing HC in the near future and for years to come. He is intelligent, engaging, hardworking, and ready to make the next step for sure. BUT, He will get an offer way before Barnes is ready to retire. I think RB has at least 6-8 more years, god willing, and Kim will be HC at a MidMajor if not Mizzou by then imho.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Seems like the logical choice, but who knows. I don't think RB is retiring anytime soon.

I was one of those who thought RB was going to coach a few years and retire, lol. He seems to have found the fountain of youth
That fountain of youth was assembling a group of coaches and players that established what arguably may be the best atmosphere and culture in college basketball. Being apart of something like that is like getting a shot of adrenaline. I know it is for our fans so it has to be for the people involved.

JJJ was Schwartz
Santi was Schwartz
Pons was Schwartz
Chandler was English
This is correct as I remember it.

I think both English and Schwartz will soon be getting offers.
I was gonna mention Schwartz as well. A lot of people are sleeping on him. He is Ricks right hand man. with that said, I feel very comfortable with our future after Barnes, if these guys are involved.
GBO!!

Reactions: gainesvol82
Assistant coaches make that jump much more in football than basketball

Very different

I cant think of any assistant coach that jumped right into a top 20 job in hoops and succeeded. I’m sure there are a few but I can’t think of any
Bill Self

I think Barnes retires at the end of his current contract. I dont see him coaching into his 70s. English is my preference to keep this thing rolling.

Lanier helped build the team but English has helped bring in another level of talent. The question is does he take a mid major job soon, get offered Mizzou in the next few years or see the benefit of taking over what could be a perennial powerhouse at UT?

I'm rooting for Cuonzo to do well enough that he stays at Mizzou a while or Mizzou doesn't feel comfortable hiring an assistant just because he is a former player.

I really feel like English could build a dynasty here after mentoring under Barnes a few more years and take over after the 23-24 season.

I completely agree with this sentiment... I like Rob Lanier and I think he's a good coach.

But if I had to pick, I would choose Kim English. I just think he's special and is a star on the rise. There just this feeling the more I see him and read about him that he is elite. How recruiting ability is top notch and the young relatability will definitely help.

But I hope coach Barnes can keep this going for another Few years, one thing that we can't understate with Coach Barnes is the MAN he is, his values/faith/etc... The father figure type thing, this typically gives us "the in" with the parents.

VN Store

Back