Kim English

Does anybody else feel like he is our head coach in waiting? I see him handling a lot of head coaching responsibilities....almost like Barnes is prepping him to be a head coach. He seems to handle a lot of the coaching during timeouts with Barnes sitting back except at certain times when he is talking to a specific player.

English is a great young recruiter and seems to be a good overall coach that the players love. He has turned down other opportunities too. I can't tell if Barnes is prepping him to get a HC job or is prepping him to take over at UT in a few years.

I would love it if that's the case as we would have continuity with concepts and a great young coach who could keep UT at a high level for years to come and he is young enough to relate well to kids and bring in high level recruits. Thoughts?
I posted this in another thread. Hope we find a way to bring him back when Barnes retires. I doubt he'll be on the staff much longer. Just too good a coach and recruiter, but I'd bring him back in a heartbeat when Barnes hangs it up. He's gonna be a superstar.

Does anybody else feel like he is our head coach in waiting? I see him handling a lot of head coaching responsibilities....almost like Barnes is prepping him to be a head coach. He seems to handle a lot of the coaching during timeouts with Barnes sitting back except at certain times when he is talking to a specific player.

English is a great young recruiter and seems to be a good overall coach that the players love. He has turned down other opportunities too. I can't tell if Barnes is prepping him to get a HC job or is prepping him to take over at UT in a few years.

I would love it if that's the case as we would have continuity with concepts and a great young coach who could keep UT at a high level for years to come and he is young enough to relate well to kids and bring in high level recruits. Thoughts?
I want Rob Lanier to succeed Rick Barnes at Tennessee Men's Head Basketball Coach.

I posted this in another thread. Hope we find a way to bring him back when Barnes retires. I doubt he'll be on the staff much longer. Just too good a coach and recruiter, but I'd bring him back in a heartbeat when Barnes hangs it up. He's gonna be a superstar.

If I was the AD I would give him a raise and promise him the job within 5 years. Pay him as much as he would make as a mid major HC and have Barnes continue to give him more responsibility.

UT is an infinitely better job than Mizzou, especially if we continue to recruit at the level we are. Make a F4 or win a championship and then watch our recruiting reach even more ridiculous heights where we sign top 5 classes every year and make it known that English is more and more a big part of our success. Maybe he wants to be the head guy sooner but knowing he can take over an elite program he has helped build could be very attractive compared to risking building a mid major to the point of landing an elite job. I'd sign up for it if I were English

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If I was the AD I would give him a raise and promise him the job within 5 years. Pay him as much as he would make as a mid major HC and have Barnes continue to give him more responsibility.

UT is an infinitely better job than Mizzou, especially if we continue to recruit at the level we are. Make a F4 or win a championship and then watch our recruiting reach even more ridiculous heights where we sign top 5 classes every year and make it known that English is more and more a big part of our success. Maybe he wants to be the head guy sooner but knowing he can take over an elite program he has helped build could be very attractive compared to risking building a mid major to the point of landing an elite job. I'd sign up for it if I were English
I wonder if something similar may have been discussed with Lanier?

I know English is the younger sexy flavor of the week but Lanier has much more to do with this roster being elite then English. He also has the much needed experience and is doing a very solid job as a HC.

I wouldn’t wanted English as a head coach without a mid major stop first

Seems like the logical choice, but who knows. I don't think RB is retiring anytime soon.

I was one of those who thought RB was going to coach a few years and retire, lol. He seems to have found the fountain of youth

Yea he may coach 10 more years.

Most people won’t agree with this but being a head coach in hoops isn’t that tough of work. It’s not a grind at all. Barnes can keep this up, still play lots of golf and spend plenty of time with the grandkids

I wonder if something similar may have been discussed with Lanier?

My worry is that Lanier won't be able to keep up the level of recruiting we are at and that I think English can maintain. Lanier is a good recruiter, I just think English has a higher ceiling in that area.

Lanier is a good coach but I think in a few years that English could be every bit as good while learning under Barnes and could step right in to keep things rolling with his bond to current players and the recruits we will be going after. I also like that he is 20 years younger.

Either guy would be a fine choice but I think English has an overall higher ceiling and I think he sees the potential at UT.....who knows tho, he could leave after this year.

I think Barnes retires at the end of his current contract. I dont see him coaching into his 70s. English is my preference to keep this thing rolling.

Lanier helped build the team but English has helped bring in another level of talent. The question is does he take a mid major job soon, get offered Mizzou in the next few years or see the benefit of taking over what could be a perennial powerhouse at UT?

I'm rooting for Cuonzo to do well enough that he stays at Mizzou a while or Mizzou doesn't feel comfortable hiring an assistant just because he is a former player.

I really feel like English could build a dynasty here after mentoring under Barnes a few more years and take over after the 23-24 season.

I would love it if he is. I surely do not want him to go back to Missouri.

Reactions: gainesvol82
My worry is that Lanier won't be able to keep up the level of recruiting we are at and that I think English can maintain. Lanier is a good recruiter, I just think English has a higher ceiling in that area.

Lanier is a good coach but I think in a few years that English could be every bit as good while learning under Barnes and could step right in to keep things rolling with his bond to current players and the recruits we will be going after. I also like that he is 20 years younger.

Either guy would be a fine choice but I think English has an overall higher ceiling and I think he sees the potential at UT.....who knows tho, he could leave after this year.

You realize Lanier is the assistant that should be credited for nearly all of our roster? Even Keon

For those that followed the springer recruitment closer than I did wasn’t Lanier the lead for him until he left ?

Last edited:
You realize Lanier is the one that should be credited for nearly all of our roster? Even Keon

For those they followed the springer recruitment closer than I did wasn’t Lanier the lead for him until he left ?

Lanier was the lead for JJJ. Don't think he was responsible too much for Keon, Springer or Walker. English has also helped land Mashack and Chandler. All of those guys could be credited largely to Barnes but our recruiting has hit another level after English arrived. I see no reason he cant help keep us landing elite studs.

Lanier was the lead for JJJ. Don't think he was responsible too much for Keon, Springer or Walker. English has also helped land Mashack and Chandler. All of those guys could be credited largely to Barnes but our recruiting has hit another level after English arrived. I see no reason he cant help keep us landing elite studs.
Lanier was very involved with Keon. Oliver was as well. English had nothing to do with him to be honest

imo the best recruiter we have/had was grant williams. He is the real reason we are experiencing great recruiting now. Assistant coaches have the least impact imo. English just came along at the right time with the FBI shopping around and our success

Lanier was very involved with Keon. Oliver was as well. English had nothing to do with him to be honest

imo the best recruiter we have/had was grant williams. He is the real reason we are experiencing great recruiting now. Assistant coaches have the least impact imo. English just came along at the right time with the FBI shopping around and our success

You might be right on Lanier with Keon but English got here in 2019 and general consensus is that he has elevated our recruiting a lot. I do agree that Barnes development of William's, Bone, Admiral, and Kyle has probably been one of the biggest keys but English has helped a lot of guys on the roster develop and has been big in recent recruiting.

You might be right on Lanier with Keon but English got here in 2019 and general consensus is that he has elevated our recruiting a lot. I do agree that Barnes development of William's, Bone, Admiral, and Kyle has probably been one of the biggest keys but English has helped a lot of guys on the roster develop and has been big in recent recruiting.

don’t get me wrong I like English and I’d love for him to coach here if he makes a mid major stop and has some success.

Now I don’t give him nearly as much credit for recruiting as most because I think he’s just been in the right spot at the right time

don’t get me wrong I like English and I’d love for him to coach here if he makes a mid major stop and has some success.

Now I don’t give him nearly as much credit for recruiting as most because I think he’s just been in the right spot at the right time

He is a young AA coach who played in the SEC. It's ridiculous to think he isn't able to create strong bonds with guys we are recruiting. Barnes also great at creating those relationships and pointing to guys he has coached/developed but English gets to be the good cop to Barnes tough coaching. He is a perfect complement and I truly believe he would be a great candidate to take over in 4 years.

He is a young AA coach who played in the SEC. It's ridiculous to think he isn't able to create strong bonds with guys we are recruiting. Barnes also great at creating those relationships and pointing to guys he has coached/developed but English gets to be the good cop to Barnes tough coaching. He is a perfect complement and I truly believe he would be a great candidate to take over in 4 years.

To play a little bit of devils advocate I think age is a good thing for college basketball head coaches. If you look across the board age isn’t a bad thing.

Lanier is also a AA and older.

Thanks for posting this. I just watched Kim English’s previewing of the Bama game tomorrow. His evaluation and informative responses greatly impressed me. See here:

VN Store

Back