Killer Instinct

You just saw some killer instinct last night out of Rennia Davis Missouri wins without her aggressive play.

Holly used to beg for her players to give effort, when she demanded it, they barely noticed it (Beta)
Pat demanded effort and through respect for her, got it without question (Alpha)

I think Coach Kellie is an Alpha/Beta at this point
When she demands it, she gets it,
but when she asks for it, she doesn't (except from the Beta players)
I think this is why the effort comes in spurts from the dominant players...

In my experience,,An Alpha athlete can turn it on ("it", being, full intensity and effort) and off by themselves,, and when you give them this control and let them do it by themselves, it comes when they want it to come
Have you described Rennia ? Seems many games - like Mo last night - she sort of just cruises around and then when really needed she explodes. Second half of Missouri game was the Rennia I would love to see whole game - the talent is there but that grrrrr factor not there sometimes

Have you described Rennia ? Seems many games - like Mo last night - she sort of just cruises around and then when really needed she explodes. Second half of Missouri game was the Rennia I would love to see whole game - the talent is there but that grrrrr factor not there sometimes
I totally agree, if we get the second half Rennia from tip, I truly believe we have a shot to win this year. Her and Rae being dominant offensively at the same time with the way they both can defend makes us so tough to beat.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
You just saw some killer instinct last night out of Rennia Davis Missouri wins without her aggressive play.
I totally agree, if we get the second half Rennia from tip, I truly believe we have a shot to win this year. Her and Rae being dominant offensively at the same time with the way they both can defend makes us so tough to beat.

Yes, to all of these....Rennia is a passive Alpha, more probably an Alpha/Beta....As I said in an earlier post, this personality is the trickiest to work with...As, you have to have the ability to not only lead both personalities, but also to "read both personalities.

You will not get a full game out of Rennia until you can bring it out of her...right now she is her own trigger and fortunately she can pull it, but she waits until it is absolutely necessary to do so.

You can't fake Alpha leadership. Either you are or you're not...And they come in many shapes and sizes....Perfect example was Lou Holtz,,,he was 5 ft nothing and intimidated 300 lb football players. But being Alpha is not all about intimidation, it is more about that inner drive to be the best and to lead at all times, if needed. It is a very complex thing.

SO, how do you get a "start to finish" full-on beast-mode game out of Rennia?
You don't...I do

You can argue all you want to, but tonight you just witnessed exactly what I have been saying

Coach Jumper said:
An Alpha athlete can turn it on ("it", being, full intensity and effort) and off by themselves,, and when you give them this control and let them do it by themselves, it comes when they want it to come

Coach Jumper said:
f you let a non-aggressive Alpha athlete decide their own entry into 5th gear, they will hit that gear when they have to and not until then..

When Rae went down, I called it:

Game Thread: (20/21) Lady Vols at Missouri

Davis flipped her own switch when it had to be flipped.
Argue all you want, but 40 years of coaching,,,,I know ballers.
Especially Alpha's
Agree, no need for any more argument. You and most other posters firmly believe players give max effort when they feel the need and/or desire and not before. They control the on off switch. The dark side of that belief is that means they're willfully withholding the rest of the time. I don't believe that for a minute, I think that's simplistic, silly, and a total insult to players but that's just me.

I sure don't ever again want to be lectured about "tearing players down" or being negative by anyone who actually believes this nonsense tho.

Agree, no need for any more argument. You and most other posters firmly believe players give max effort when they feel the need and/or desire and not before. They control the on off switch. The dark side of that belief is that means they're willfully withholding the rest of the time. I don't believe that for a minute, I think that's simplistic, silly, and a total insult to players but that's just me.

I sure don't ever again want to be lectured about "tearing players down" or being negative by anyone who actually believes this nonsense tho.

This is why they have coaches in games, glv....Not just to call plays and cheerlead.
We:
work the refs
substitute
set up practices to best get out teams ready for their season
recruit
solve problems
handle parents
manage games
handle player's attitudes and behaviors
work with our co-coaches
coach the best effort out of our charges

We do everything, but, make you love our game...As Pat said, not 3 ft from me in Chattanooga at McKenzie arena in 1996 (the year Kellie played PG for her)....."I will coach anything but passion, if I have to teach you to love my game, I don't want you"

I reiterate,,,"anything but passion"
Rennia has passion, I know this!
She has ambition, I know this.
What she doesn't have is an outside influence that can bring out her beast, when she can't.

when she can't.
Can't is different from won't. My point has always been it's can't not won't. But none of the "effort" posts on this board believe can't over won't for a second. That's why they recommend shaming and punishment as solutions

If we can play four more games this year Rennia should pass the 1800 points scored mark for her career and she will pass over 900 rebounds. She currently stands at 1714 points and 898 rebounds.

Can't is different from won't. My point has always been it's can't not won't. But none of the "effort" posts on this board believe can't over won't for a second. That's why they recommend shaming and punishment as solutions

I get ya, glv

This is why they value and pay coaches like they do. . . We are teachers, clergy, doctors, psychologists, motivators, parents and sometimes we even get to coach a little

I know I am not a collegiate coach and have never been paid to coach (except for private training and camps and clinics),,,,But it is a calling I love. I have touched thousands of lives and seen girls I have worked with go to become great in other's eyes.

Truly I am blessed

Last edited:

Wow, Rennia put up 26 pts in the 2nd! Yeah, what a slacker she should have given us 56....

[I apologize for any ensuing typos but I am bit concussed from pounding my head against the table]

Last night Rennia got into foul trouble and barely played the 1st half and yeah, being on the bench does have negative effects on your effort levels.

But more generally, every game, every opponent has this statement at the top of their game plan "STOP DAVIS. MAKE OTHER PLAYERS BEAT YOU". We have to recognize that Rae' success is, in part, due to teams placing their defensive focus on Rennia; but Rae has had numerous games where she forces opponents to adjust (Last night was one). That is the beauty of having to top tier scorers. So, it makes good basketball sense that Davis sometimes is a facilitator/decoy when Rae is getting the space to do her thing.

That makes for much better basketball than Rennia trying get her points no matter what (ala James Harden in his Houston rocket days).

Also, there is only one ball on the court and Kellie's game plan is built on the goal of getting paint points so that also means Rennia is playing in the flow of the game plan and not being hyper aggressive on offense.

But when she is not scoring, Rennia defends like a fiend and hits the boards. I am sorry, anyone who says "Rennia is just cruising around" does not understand the game. BTW, Rennia looks like she is cruising when putting up 20+ in a half. Making it look easy is a sign of her talent.

MJ and Kobe's legends hinged on their being clutch in crunch time and Rennia has been that of late.

All this discourse about what Rennia ain't doing, should be doing, could be doing is really an extreme case of seeing the hole and ignoring the amazing, worldclass, "anyone would kill to have" donut on display .

Kellie might have 99 problems but Rennia ain't one......

Last edited:
Wow, Rennia put up 26 pts in the 2nd! Yeah, what a slacker she should have given us 56....

[I apologize for any ensuing typos but I am bit concussed from pounding my head against the table]

Last night Rennia got into foul trouble and barely played the 1st half and yeah, being on the bench does have negative effects on your effort levels.

But more generally, every game, every opponent has this statement at the top of their game plan "STOP DAVIS. MAKE OTHER PLAYERS BEAT YOU". We have to recognize that Rae' success is, in part, due to teams placing their defensive focus on Rennia; but Rae has had numerous games where she forces opponents to adjust (Last was one). That is the beauty of having to top tier scorers. So, it makes good basketball sense that Davis sometimes is a facilitator/decoy when Rae is getting the space to do her thing.

That makes for much better basketball than Rennia trying get her points no matter what (ala James Harden in his Houston rocket days).

Also, there is only one ball on the court and Kellie's game plan is built on the goal of getting paint points so that also means Rennia is playing in the flow of the game plan and not being hyper aggressive on offense.

But when she is not scoring, Rennia defends like a fiend and hits the boards. I am sorry, anyone who says "Rennia is just cruising around does not understand the game. BTW, Rennia looks like she is cruising when putting up 20+ in a half. Making it look easy is a sign of her talent.

MJ and Kobe's legends hinged on their being clutch in crunch time and Rennia has been that of late.

All this discourse about what Rennia ain't doing, should be doing, could be doing is really an extreme case of seeing the hole and ignoring the amazing, worldclass, "anyone would kill to have" donut on display .

Like Rennia said in her interview the time she was in the game first half Rae had the hot hand hit 9 of 11 and so they were going more to her. Got two fouls had to sit out the rest of the half. Came in the second half scored 26 points including 20 in the fourth quarter. Way to show up when the game is on the line may have to pick another game to complain about Rennia, but which one she has so many double doubles in her career you may spend a lot of wasted time looking.

But more generally, every game, every opponent has this statement at the top of their game plan "STOP DAVIS. MAKE OTHER PLAYERS BEAT YOU". We have to recognize that Rae' success is, in part, due to teams placing their defensive focus on Rennia; but Rae has had numerous games where she forces opponents to adjust (Last was one). That is the beauty of having to top tier scorers. So, it makes good basketball sense that Davis sometimes is a facilitator/decoy when Rae is getting the space to do her thing.

But when she is not scoring, Rennia defends like a fiend and hits the boards. I am sorry, anyone who says "Rennia is just cruising around" does not understand the game. BTW, Rennia looks like she is cruising when putting up 20+ in a half. Making it look easy is a sign of her talent.

I just had to make sure ppl saw this post

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back