Kiffin/UCLA & Heupel/Pitt

I remember being so frustrated with Cromp Daddy for throwing the ball over receivers heads on crossing routes. He eventually got better, but it was painful.

Thinking back to some old games, I was reminded of the 2009 contest against UCLA at Neyland in Kiffin’s only season here. We had just beaten WKU 63-7 before the Bruins came to Knoxville, and most expected a good victory. It was not to be.

I think there are some parallels we can draw between that match and the Pitt game.

Both Kiffin & Heupel began their career with less-than-stellar depth and both had QB issues—Kiffin with Crompton and Heupel with Milton. If we recall, Crompton had his own fair share of terrible throws and bad reads early that season.

Both teams had a chance to win near the end, and both failed. But, the defenses played tough through adversity and it was something to build on. As the season progressed, the team got better, especially on offense, and the QB play picked up.

While many here would have taken Kiffin back this last coaching search, we have to recall that his tenure started very similar to how Heupel’s has, though CJH was dealt a much tougher hand.

If Heupel is the guy to bring us back, we have to exercise patience as he builds this team through this season and next.

Despite the tough loss to Pitt, I think this season will bear some good fruit for the future. I think we will be surprised how well this team improves from now til the end of the season...and a decent bowl win...

CLK had his father as defensive coordinator while CJH has Banks.

I wasn’t as disgusted after the UCLA game as I was this past Saturday…. But then again I ate two big weed infused muffins before the 2009 game. What a mistake that was … a half of one would have been more than enough.

I remember being at that UCLA game. Crompton didn’t look like he belonged anywhere on any college field. Some how Kiffin found what worked for Crompton and boy was it pretty.

One can only hope we see a turn around like that team had in 09. A lot of momentum can happen if your offense is clicking. Fingers crossed!
That team couldn’t stop a spread team man. If I’m not mistaken ole miss beat us by 700. We had no defense and couldn’t score. Beat Ky in over time, blown out in a bowl game. Kiffin had Eric Berry on his team. That alone tells me the cupboard was way more full than it is now. You have berry and still get blown out by ole miss. I don’t want to be like the 09 team. The turn around to which you refer, 5-7 to 7-6. Is that a turnaround?

That team couldn’t stop a spread team man. If I’m not mistaken ole miss beat us by 700. We had no defense and couldn’t score. Beat Ky in over time, blown out in a bowl game. Kiffin had Eric Berry on his team. That alone tells me the cupboard was way more full than it is now. You have berry and still get blown out by ole miss. I don’t want to be like the 09 team. The turn around to which you refer, 5-7 to 7-6. Is that a turnaround?

I was talking offensively and at the QB position. We had the opportunity to beat the #1 team in the nation, we blow the doors off UGA and a Steve spurrier SC team. The turn around came at the QB position and Crompton became a very serviceable SEC QB. That’s the turn around I’m talking about.

I agree. But most armchair fans expect a finished product after 2 games, and think Heupel is in over his head. We can’t possibly get better and beat Missouri or even Kentucky. Nor can we even be more competitive than the usual 30 point beat downs against the big boys 🙄.
I don't expect a finished product.
But Heupel gave us Joe Milton. A broken product that was recalled by the manufacturer for being defective.
Heupel, the QB guru, is the only one who didnt get the memo.

The offense can be amazing with the right QB. We've already seen how our WRs can stretch the field vertically. We just have got to have a QB that can get them the ball on the money with more frequency.

Thinking back to some old games, I was reminded of the 2009 contest against UCLA at Neyland in Kiffin’s only season here. We had just beaten WKU 63-7 before the Bruins came to Knoxville, and most expected a good victory. It was not to be.

I think there are some parallels we can draw between that match and the Pitt game.

Both Kiffin & Heupel began their career with less-than-stellar depth and both had QB issues—Kiffin with Crompton and Heupel with Milton. If we recall, Crompton had his own fair share of terrible throws and bad reads early that season.

Both teams had a chance to win near the end, and both failed. But, the defenses played tough through adversity and it was something to build on. As the season progressed, the team got better, especially on offense, and the QB play picked up.

While many here would have taken Kiffin back this last coaching search, we have to recall that his tenure started very similar to how Heupel’s has, though CJH was dealt a much tougher hand.

If Heupel is the guy to bring us back, we have to exercise patience as he builds this team through this season and next.

Despite the tough loss to Pitt, I think this season will bear some good fruit for the future. I think we will be surprised how well this team improves from now til the end of the season...and a decent bowl win...

That is a fair comparison. Let's give Heupel some time before we jump to conclusions.

I will say that Kiffin had a lot more talent to work with.

I remember being at that UCLA game. Crompton didn’t look like he belonged anywhere on any college field. Some how Kiffin found what worked for Crompton and boy was it pretty.

One can only hope we see a turn around like that team had in 09. A lot of momentum can happen if your offense is clicking. Fingers crossed!

I was there and thought the exact same thing!

By the end of that season, I realizes he did what Cutcliff did with Ainge and that was slants, curls and quickouts.

It's a shame TN admin would never consider re-hiring Lane Kiffin or even Freeze. Way too much pride for a move like that. We will end up losing to both someday.

Come next month losing to one these guys is most likely gonna take place......

I agree. But most armchair fans expect a finished product after 2 games, and think Heupel is in over his head. We can’t possibly get better and beat Missouri or even Kentucky. Nor can we even be more competitive than the usual 30 point beat downs against the big boys 🙄.

And what makes you think this????

Kiffin must be cheating on his wife with some of you guys.

Quit being clingy and let him go.

I was talking offensively and at the QB position. We had the opportunity to beat the #1 team in the nation, we blow the doors off UGA and a Steve spurrier SC team. The turn around came at the QB position and Crompton became a very serviceable SEC QB. That’s the turn around I’m talking about.
Gotcha. My bad. My hatred is strong for him. We still had tons of talent but he wasted an opportunity for us to have a strong year. My argument would be if we couldn’t beat ole miss (not even a game) or some of the teams we lost to how good was that turnaround. So, I’m not sure how good crompton was. The scores say we didn’t dominate on offense. I think hardesty had more to do with our decent we play at times.

It's a known that Kiffin regretted taking his dream job and would have loved to be here than FAU and we skip some people and all along he put it out there he wanted the job and two dumb AD'S later we hire Pruitt.
We’ll soon find out, because it’s open again. I pray to God that he goes back, just to show all of his fanboys on here that he would have ran back to his ex again making us look even more stupid.

I wish some on here would understand that Kiffin isn’t a great coach, he used UT and would never come back here, and those who want him look dumb and pathetic

Reactions: JohnnyJava

Maybe “turning a corner”?

Kiffin has always been a shiny, pyritic bauble that dumb people fall into the wishing well trying to get their hands on.

VN Store

Back