Kiffin/UCLA & Heupel/Pitt

OrangeEtBlanc

Thinking back to some old games, I was reminded of the 2009 contest against UCLA at Neyland in Kiffin’s only season here. We had just beaten WKU 63-7 before the Bruins came to Knoxville, and most expected a good victory. It was not to be.

I think there are some parallels we can draw between that match and the Pitt game.

Both Kiffin & Heupel began their career with less-than-stellar depth and both had QB issues—Kiffin with Crompton and Heupel with Milton. If we recall, Crompton had his own fair share of terrible throws and bad reads early that season.

Both teams had a chance to win near the end, and both failed. But, the defenses played tough through adversity and it was something to build on. As the season progressed, the team got better, especially on offense, and the QB play picked up.

While many here would have taken Kiffin back this last coaching search, we have to recall that his tenure started very similar to how Heupel’s has, though CJH was dealt a much tougher hand.

If Heupel is the guy to bring us back, we have to exercise patience as he builds this team through this season and next.

Despite the tough loss to Pitt, I think this season will bear some good fruit for the future. I think we will be surprised how well this team improves from now til the end of the season...and a decent bowl win...

If Milton can turn into 08, 09 Crompton, would better that current.

I remember being at that UCLA game. Crompton didn’t look like he belonged anywhere on any college field. Some how Kiffin found what worked for Crompton and boy was it pretty.

One can only hope we see a turn around like that team had in 09. A lot of momentum can happen if your offense is clicking. Fingers crossed!

It's a known that Kiffin regretted taking his dream job and would have loved to be here than FAU and we skip some people and all along he put it out there he wanted the job and two dumb AD'S later we hire Pruitt.
The administration will never hire Kiffin back, he left us in a horrible situation and that will never happen again, I like Kiffin but he burned bridges here

So you think lightning can strike twice, huh?

No qb expert here, but there has to be something broken in JM's mechanics to consistently overthrow deep open receivers. I'll take Hooker or Bailey all day long over the gut-kick. of missing deep overthrows like that.

If I remember correctly Kiffin deferred to the O and they were sure they could make it…plus, we had Montario Hardesty who had rushed for 90 yards on 25 carries before failed the 4th down play.

Last Saturday our RBs had 19 carries for 33 yards…our QBs led the team in rushing so I would have either done a sneak under center or a roll out run/pass option…of course asking to recheck the spot would have helped…

Reactions: i2amavol
Thinking back to some old games, I was reminded of the 2009 contest against UCLA at Neyland in Kiffin’s only season here. We had just beaten WKU 63-7 before the Bruins came to Knoxville, and most expected a good victory. It was not to be.

I think there are some parallels we can draw between that match and the Pitt game.

Both Kiffin & Heupel began their career with less-than-stellar depth and both had QB issues—Kiffin with Crompton and Heupel with Milton. If we recall, Crompton had his own fair share of terrible throws and bad reads early that season.

Both teams had a chance to win near the end, and both failed. But, the defenses played tough through adversity and it was something to build on. As the season progressed, the team got better, especially on offense, and the QB play picked up.

While many here would have taken Kiffin back this last coaching search, we have to recall that his tenure started very similar to how Heupel’s has, though CJH was dealt a much tougher hand.

If Heupel is the guy to bring us back, we have to exercise patience as he builds this team through this season and next.

Despite the tough loss to Pitt, I think this season will bear some good fruit for the future. I think we will be surprised how well this team improves from now til the end of the season...and a decent bowl win...
What I liked about this team is that they hustled, flew to the ball, and seemed excited to play. Yeah, we had out chances but the effort was much better than I've seen in a long time. If they improve from this point on we will be in some tough games.

We would’ve eventually gotten the death penalty if he stayed much longer. Dude was blatantly cheating

We’re currently under investigation for paying players. Are we inline for the death penalty?
No it wasn’t anything to the extent of smu when they got the death penalty.. there are lots of schools that pay players. Kiffin was taking it to the extreme his only year here

No it wasn’t anything to the extent of smu when they got the death penalty.. there are lots of schools that pay players. Kiffin was taking it to the extreme his only year here
Yet the NCAA conducted an investigation into UT and found no evidence that Kiffin and his staff were paying players.

Reactions: dduncan4163

So what are you saying? Huepel is USC’s next coach?

I agree. But most armchair fans expect a finished product after 2 games, and think Heupel is in over his head. We can’t possibly get better and beat Missouri or even Kentucky. Nor can we even be more competitive than the usual 30 point beat downs against the big boys 🙄.

VN Store

Back