Kiffin signs new contract extension with Ole Miss

Go hire Herman now! He will win AT LEAST 7-8 games a year here with a high ceiling to do more.

Strong was 15-21 the 3yrs prior, eerily similar to Pruitt's record, and Herman went to conference title game in year 2. Hire him and let's go to Atlanta in 2022.

He is the most sought after offensive assistant in the nation; Auburn tried to hire him
Right, but his previous head coaching stints don’t exactly give one confidence that he’ll get Texas back to an elite level. Maybe spending a few years with Saban has helped.

7-6
10-4
8-5
7-3
Sorry I don’t consider that doing a very good job at a place like Texas. He routinely lost games to teams with inferior talent.

It’s not 1980 and they haven’t won a NC since 05’ so yes that is a good improvement. This season would have likely been another 10 win season considering their usual 3-4 cupcakes

You can't say or pass any judgement on Texas. If they don't get the results they want, then its their right to continue to fire until they get a winner. Also, they didn't fire to satisfy their fan base. They have a standard, and are unwilling to settle for mediocracy unlike us. If it takes firing & hiring 6-7 coaches until we get the right one, so be it. They want a return on their investment. We settled for what we can get.
I think everyone would agree that firing and hiring 6-7 coaches is not the standard for success in this business.

With out Tennessee their “UT” would be “UM”

Does it even matter? They fired a coach that they felt wasn't measuring up. We have one who hasn't measured up, but our standard of success is far below theirs.

Last edited:
Sark is a good hire . I would take him over Freeze he was the master mind behind the best Bama offense ever. Coached a game this year and is part of the Carroll coaching tree funny how people love Kiffin but not Sark.
Probably because they’ve seen Sark crash at USC and Washington.

Reactions: Voltopia
I lived for several years near Austin. Texas has more money than sense, and more expectations than money. Money is no problem to them, ever, so the expectations always overwhelm their common sense. Is it right? Is it wrong? I couldn't tell you. But they believe themselves to be the best - and when they are not the best, you can be someone is going to be to blame.

Herman was 8 points from a perfect 10-0 season this year. Texas lost to TCU by 2, Iowa State by 3, and tied Oklahoma in regulation, and wound up losing in 4 overtimes. They only needed 3 more points, 4 more points, and 1 more point to be perfect. Texas is nuts to fire him.
In the meantime Fulmer's boy was only 138 points away from being undefeated.

Looking at Sarkisian 's previous head coaching record how is he a step up from Herman?

Tom Herman and Gus Malzahn. Two recently fired coaches that would be better in Knoxville than the head coach we currently have.

First, no one is saying that he’s not better than Pruitt, that’s not the question at hand. Secondly, 32-18 in the B12 doesn’t exactly translate to competing for sec titles.
So who would you hire? Or who would
Move the needle and be the guy for you?!

Completely disagree. Herman did a very good job at Texas and was on the cusp of having success (i.e. beating Oklahoma).

His bowl record against SEC teams is pretty good too. He beat Missouri when they had Drew Lock. He also beat a top 5 Georgia team as heavy underdogs.

The man can coach.
His experience at Houston is relevant. That closer to the situation we are in.

Kiffin: Year one playing in a bowl and positive momentum.

Pruitt: Three years of awful losses, poor coaching, and an apathetic fanbase.

You have to be a masochist to be a Vols fan.

Yes, a bowl game with a Losing record with the worst defense in all of college football. A QB that might throw 5 touchdowns and 5 interceptions in any game.

I think everyone would agree that firing and hiring 6-7 coaches is not the standard for success in this business.

I said that as an example of not settling for subpar results. If your investment isn't making profits, then you sale. If your employees don't show up to work, or are running your business in the ground, are you going to keep them around? Manager after manager keep you in the red. But, I guess your ok with that.

He is the most sought after offensive assistant in the nation; Auburn tried to hire him

Has he done enough to land a HC job... yes. But Texas is an elite, top 2-3 program. They should be targeting elite, proven head coaches not rehabilitated Saban assistants.

He actually didn’t win a conference title. Lost in the title game to Oklahoma.

Yup. He is a loser. Lost a close game in the conference title game to a college football playoff team. You're right Boston. We should stick with Pruitt, it is clear he can both compete with and beat college football playoff caliber football teams.

Wait...you don't want Pruitt?

Ok, let's go hire the abundance of coaches who have proven they can both compete with and beat college football playoff caliber football teams.

Wait... there are none out there.

Ok. Let's hire Herman.

Wait... he sucks because even though he has beaten college football playoff teams, he has lost to them as well.

I guess we just need to wait for the first coach who has never lost a football game to appease fans like you. Until then we can just stay with a football coach who clearly blows and is a guaranteed 4-6 win caliber football coach because we can't get a combination of Neyland, Lombardi, and Saban.

Reactions: sonofUT62
Sark is a good hire . I would take him over Freeze he was the master mind behind the best Bama offense ever. Coached a game this year and is part of the Carroll coaching tree funny how people love Kiffin but not Sark.

Kiffin has actually been a HC in the last 5 years. Sark is an offensive genius. So was Herman. I would gladly take either of them over Pruitt but not sure TX is going to be happy.

Completely disagree. Herman did a very good job at Texas and was on the cusp of having success (i.e. beating Oklahoma).

His bowl record against SEC teams is pretty good too. He beat Missouri when they had Drew Lock. He also beat a top 5 Georgia team as heavy underdogs.
Totally agree, his 3 losses this year were by a combined 13 points. Tennessee wasn't even within 13 points in hardly any of their SEC losses in the past 3 years. He's a great coach and Tennessee could do a lot worse. Pair him up with a good SEC DC/Recruiter like Kevin Steele and definitely would be such an upgrade

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
7-6
10-4
8-5
7-3
Sorry I don’t consider that doing a very good job at a place like Texas. He routinely lost games to teams with inferior talent.
That program was a dumpster fire when he took over and got them to 10 wins in his second year, nevermind what he did at Houston.

He would be a massive upgrade. Granted, just about anybody would be a massive upgrade over Pruitt.

Reactions: landscapingvol
So they dump a guy who has a coaching record of 54-22 and 5-0 in bowl games for a guy who couldn't cut it at USC (was a alcoholic) and a coaching record of 46-35 and 2-2 in bowl games. Just because he was a good OC at Alabama, hell Butch Jones would be a good OC with all that talent. Thats a move that sets a program back 10 years. Say hello to mediocrity Texas.

Yeah, we have first hand knowledge that if you are surrounded by 5* talent you have a tendency to look like a much better coach than you actually are.

$25 million to buy out him and his staff. For those that think we can’t afford something similar, just remember...
- Butch comes off the payroll next month
- the new TV deal will cover it outright

VN Store

Back