Kiffin says Chaney is a grand slam hire

We can't get to pumped even though it seems we did good on this hire. Still have to see if we get results.

I'll take more stock on his opinion then anybody here. Kiffin knows football.

If he don't know more FB than us here on VN, then hed better get his application in at the nearest South FL Whataburger. He's a D1 head football coach for Pete's sake.

I hope Chaney has the energy to do his job during his 2nd stop at UT. I would have rather had a 20 yr younger Coach Cutt than Chaney. Chaney can recruit the QB position but he needs to be surrounded by great recruiters for the rest of the offense. I hope our compliance office is up to the task as we continue to bring top notch recruiters to surround Chaney and Pruitt in building the program

As for Lane the folks who still have a man crush on the guy have serious moral and ethical issues they need to work on in life.

How did he screw up leaving Tennessee for his dream job that came open and somehow enough people turned it down, clearing the way for him to get offered? Will never understand how "he screwed up" by leaving for his dream job. He literally did what 100% of us would have done had we been at a new school for 1 year and then UT came open and then an offer came after a lot of bigger names turned it down.

I think he’s getting softer as he ages. I’ve seen mean young people become very understanding/forgiving people as they age. I’m definitely not saying Kiffin is there but I think he regrets his decisions and trying to say sorry in his own way. Jmo

It has been 10 years. Only people who can't let go of 2009 are the fans. Kiffin has clearly stated his peace and regret.

As stated I think Kiffin realizes his mistake on leaving for USC. While yes it was his dream job. I don't think he fully understood the FN he was taking when the NCAA issues at USC. I bet if he had it to do again he stays at UT. As far as his opinion you can take it for what you want. Kiffin while he can seemingly be a dbag at times knows offense.

Reactions: mtowntim
How did he screw up leaving Tennessee for his dream job that came open and somehow enough people turned it down, clearing the way for him to get offered? Will never understand how "he screwed up" by leaving for his dream job. He literally did what 100% of us would have done had we been at a new school for 1 year and then UT came open and then an offer came after a lot of bigger names turned it down.

I'll just leave this here ...
fire-lane-kiffin-2.jpg

Reactions: Witch_Doctor
As stated I think Kiffin realizes his mistake on leaving for USC. While yes it was his dream job. I don't think he fully understood the FN he was taking when the NCAA issues at USC. I bet if he had it to do again he stays at UT. As far as his opinion you can take it for what you want. Kiffin while he can seemingly be a dbag at times knows offense.

I believe he prob sees that too. He had his dad come down from the NFL and a killer staff in place to help him. Had super low expectations relatively speaking. TN was still considered top shelf with only a 2yr slump. Had a stacked "first" recruiting class lining up. Had no (well at least till he came) NCAA penalties to overcome. Momma wanted to name he 2nd baby after the town. Fans generally overlooked his immature mouth and antics. He definitely had positive momentum. Lexus hid the wrecked car for him. Etc.

Sometimes "going home" is not the right timing. Certainly didn't work for him that particular time.

Here are the good parts of Chaney hire.

1 - Stability. This is where Chaney wants to retire. Not likely to venture off after a year.
2 - OL will be vastly improved. I would say you will see the best OL play that we have seen in at least the past 5-6 years. Part of it is he schemes it so the QB gets it out quickly.
3 - QB play. I would say JG or whoever it is finally going to get proper coaching. Not only on getting rid of the ball, but also getting more easy throws in the gameplan.

I don't think if he is a scheme master like Briles or Yurlich or Leach, but I he will maximize the offensive talent and we won't see the OL breakdowns like we have seen the past 3 years.

I did not expect this hire at all. For the first time in a few years I actually believe we have a path to contend.

VN Store

Back