Kiffin lost his drive in 2018... and it shows

Cobb-Webb 1989

Cellblock 303
"I'm not driven by money anymore," Kiffin said in May. "I'm not driven by ego, of the attention being a head coach at one of those places. I'm very happy here on all fronts. The only drive is when you do see Kirby [Smart], you see Coach [Nick] Saban walk out on that field before the game, the national championship, holding that trophy. It's the drive of, OK, I get to play against the best, let's see if I can beat the best. It's different. That would not be what I would have answered even five years ago. Because your ego — once you get rid of that, you have different motivations."

Florida Atlantic coach Lane Kiffin signs contract extension through 2027

Laid back...

"I'm not driven by money anymore," Kiffin said in May. "I'm not driven by ego, of the attention being a head coach at one of those places. I'm very happy here on all fronts. The only drive is when you do see Kirby [Smart], you see Coach [Nick] Saban walk out on that field before the game, the national championship, holding that trophy. It's the drive of, OK, I get to play against the best, let's see if I can beat the best. It's different. That would not be what I would have answered even five years ago. Because your ego — once you get rid of that, you have different motivations."

Laid back...

Cushy job in a location he gets to raise his kids in. There’s a reason he wanted a 10 year deal. His kids will graduate high school before or right at the end of that deal.

Good for him.

Laid back...
I couldn’t agree more. I’m only 30 but decided months ago to do everything I can to rid myself of my ego and selfishness. I became religious (after being an atheist all my life), started a charity that feeds the homeless, and moved home close to my Dad to help ease him into the later stages of his life (he’s single and was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). I stopped trying to just make as much money as possible as my only goal and decided to make my life about helping other people. While it’s been great for my psyche and mental well-being, it has certainly resulted in me having little to no personal ambition other than to help other people attain their goals - as I don’t have many personal goals anymore.

If the case is the same or similar for Kiffin, then he’ll never be the same coach again. But who knows, maybe that won’t be such a bad thing.

Edit: The more I think about it, maybe helping other people achieve their goals as one’s own purpose would translate into being a better coach. Players love to lay it out on the line for someone they know cares about them.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m only 30 but decided months ago to do everything I can tonrid myself of my ego and selfishness. I became religious (after being an atheist all my life), started a charity that feeds the homeless, and moved home close to my Dad to help ease him into the later stages of his life (he’s single and was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). I stopped trying to just make as much money as possible as my only goal and decided to make my life about helping other people. While it’s been great for my psyche and mental well-being, it has certainly resulted in me having little to no personal ambition other than to help other people attain their goals - as I don’t have many personal goals anymore.

If the case is the same or similar for Kiffin, then he’ll never be the same coach again. But who knows, maybe that won’t be such a bad thing.

My man. 👊🏼

We all have regrets from our less mature youth. If he hadn’t taken a giant dump on Knoxville, he probably wouldn’t be damned to FAU. He also wouldn’t have a poop treatment center named after him.

The moral of the story is don’t poop where you eat.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m only 30 but decided months ago to do everything I can to rid myself of my ego and selfishness. I became religious (after being an atheist all my life), started a charity that feeds the homeless, and moved home close to my Dad to help ease him into the later stages of his life (he’s single and was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s). I stopped trying to just make as much money as possible as my only goal and decided to make my life about helping other people. While it’s been great for my psyche and mental well-being, it has certainly resulted in me having little to no personal ambition other than to help other people attain their goals - as I don’t have many personal goals anymore.

Edit: The more I think about it, maybe helping other people achieve their goals as one’s own purpose would translate into being a better coach. Players love to lay it out on the line for someone they know cares about them.
mad props.

I know many feel differently but if Kiffin wanted to coach here and no other solid options wanted the job (Pruitt was not a solid option when he was hired-he was simply a potentially good hire), then I would hesitantly welcome him back. We’re already the punchline to any college football-related joke, so it can’t get much worse - especially if we go 1-11.

I wouldn’t mind replacing Pruitt with Kiffin and keeping mostly everyone else. I feel like Kiffin and Chaney’s offensive philosophies would work together very well. And we’d finally have a guy who knows how to coach up QB’s (which we’ve lacked for years).

I may get laughed at, but oh well. I go to a men's recovery home and do a Bible study every 2 weeks, take turns with my pastor, and have for about 3 years now. I go in the morning after work on my day, tomorrow actually, and when you do what you can to try and help someone better themselves, then see them change for the better, feels better to me than catching a huge bass. It doesn't even have to be church related, anybody trying to help others is awesome. It's hard some mornings after working 12 hours, but when those guys talk to me and thank me for helping and coming, it drives me to do more. Good for you, and kiffin.

I believe Kiffin is angling with his comments to get back to Knoxville but no way Fulmer hires him. He wouldn't be a good fit.

Tennessee needs to go the FCS route and hire a lower level coach that is winning or competing for National Championships at the FCS level. Preferable one in the South. What about the Appalachian State coach? (I know they are FBS now but they are still winning and winning big).

I may get laughed at, but oh well. I go to a men's recovery home and do a Bible study every 2 weeks, take turns with my pastor, and have for about 3 years now. I go in the morning after work on my day, tomorrow actually, and when you do what you can to try and help someone better themselves, then see them change for the better, feels better to me than catching a huge bass. It doesn't even have to be church related, anybody trying to help others is awesome. It's hard some mornings after working 12 hours, but when those guys talk to me and thank me for helping and coming, it drives me to do more. Good for you, and kiffin.

Yeah man the feeling you get from helping others who you know both need it and appreciate your help is one of the best feelings in the world.

Reactions: McDad and joevol33
It is strange that in every interview I've seen, he talks much more about his one season at Tennessee than he does his 3 plus seasons at USC. It's hard to find anything where he discusses USC at all.
He’s certainly fascinated with TN. He may just be trolling us, though I do recall an interview where he admitted regret in how the TN situation went down.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
No, he wouldn’t.
Kiffin did an interview with Tony Basilio on October 30, 2017, shortly before Butch Jones was even fired, where he was lobbying for the job. It won't ever happen, and I'm not saying it should, but you are out of your mind if you don't think Kiffin would accept, if offered.

VN Store

Back