Kiffin lost his drive in 2018... and it shows

I believe Kiffin is angling with his comments to get back to Knoxville but no way Fulmer hires him. He wouldn't be a good fit.

Tennessee needs to go the FCS route and hire a lower level coach that is winning or competing for National Championships at the FCS level. Preferable one in the South. What about the Appalachian State coach? (I know they are FBS now but they are still winning and winning big).
I don't think Fulmer will take that gamble. I wanted Mike Houston i think his name is from James Madison. He built those championship teams. I dont think he made Fulmers call list. But beyond that I think the fact he feels his last season here went so awful with a lower level championship coach in Dave Clawson as his coordinator he wont be confident it will workout not even a smidgen. And yes i understand down the road Dave Clawson has turned into a decent coach now. But at the time it went awful.

He could have turned his HC record around
He had the tools and players
And let’s not forget who the OC could have been. He’s doing well now at Kentucky
Oh yeah im not the one disputing his coaching. If Pruitt resigned today and I say resign because i feel its way too soon to say it wont improve. But if he resigned and they didnt just have some home run asking about the job Kiffin would be the first person I would call.

Oh yeah im not the one disputing his coaching. If Pruitt resigned today and I say resign because i feel its way too soon to say it wont improve. But if he resigned and they didnt just have some home run asking about the job Kiffin would be the first person I would call.

Idk, he just seems content on staying out of the lights now. While he is pumping the Vols at almost every opportunity I don’t think he’s serious about coming back. I’d like to be wrong so the Vols could win again but he just doesent seem to have the desire for high stress jobs anymore

Single man, no kids (child support maybe?) He's fine.

I’m not saying he’s struggling or I feel bad for him, I was just saying $950k in Boca isn’t $950 elsewhere
He’s paying for Layla’s lifestyle, plus the two kids .

From SI article:

He can’t help himself, a classic Kiffin trait, and proceeds: “I used to say there’s a constantly daily battle between who can take more of my money between Layla and Obama.”
He continues with a bit of fuzzy math: “I figured it out. I really don’t make any money. I pay around 52% in taxes. Layla gets 34.5% in the divorce, and [agent Jimmy Sexton] gets 3%. I make [about] 9% and I’m living in Tuscaloosa.”
Kiffin took a pay cut from nearly $1.4 million as Alabama’s offensive coordinator to $950,000 at FAU. He says he could have made $2 million next year as a coordinator

I don't think Fulmer will take that gamble. I wanted Mike Houston i think his name is from James Madison. He built those championship teams. I dont think he made Fulmers call list. But beyond that I think the fact he feels his last season here went so awful with a lower level championship coach in Dave Clawson as his coordinator he wont be confident it will workout not even a smidgen. And yes i understand down the road Dave Clawson has turned into a decent coach now. But at the time it went awful.

Yeah, I felt bad for Dave Clawson. That was a pivotal time in Tennessee's Program. Fans were upset after the embarrassing loss to UCLA and they started to feel like Tennessee was falling behind on the coaching talent versus our main rivals. All of these points were true but man did we goof our hires after firing Fulmer and it has put our program into irrelevancy since 2008. I was watching Auburn last night and I keep wondering what is keeping Tennessee from being relevant like the other big 6 in the SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU. They keep putting good teams on the field. Sure, they have their embarrassing years every once in awhile as well but unlike Tennessee, they are having 11-2 years as well and finishing in the AP top ten. (Or in the case of Alabama, winning National Titles).

Auburn is a great program to compare with Tennessee. What are they doing right that we are not doing? That is what our administration should be asking.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yeah, I felt bad for Dave Clawson. That was a pivotal time in Tennessee's Program. Fans were upset after the embarrassing loss to UCLA and they started to feel like Tennessee was falling behind on the coaching talent versus our main rivals. All of these points were true but man did we goof our hires after firing Fulmer and it has put our program into irrelevancy since 2008. I was watching Auburn last night and I keep wondering what is keeping Tennessee from being relevant like the other big 6 in the SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU. They keep putting good teams on the field. Sure, they have their embarrassing years every once in awhile as well but unlike Tennessee, they are having 11-2 years as well and finishing in the AP top ten. (Or in the case of Alabama, winning National Titles).

Auburn is a great program to compare with Tennessee. What are they doing right that we are not doing? That is what our administration should be asking.
The funny thing is that Auburn's admin is actually really dysfunctional too. Not as dysfunctional as ours, but pretty dysfunctional. Auburn recruits well, and although Gus is inconsistent his highs are high enough to keep him around. His ceiling is winning a national title (was just a couple plays away from it in his first year, and was a game away from making it back to it in 2017).

I totally agree with you in that why can't we be like Auburn? Usually pretty good, occasionally really good. We have a lot in common with them, IMO. Historical success, passionate fanbase, etc., and also on the wrong end of some natural recruiting advantages that our rivals have. However, despite those disadvantages, Tennessee only plays 3 teams on the schedule every year that consistently recruit better than us - Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. If we lose to those 3 teams every year, and say we drop another game to our non-conference opponent or another SEC opponent, that's 8-4. Over extended periods of time, the worst seasons we should experience are something like 7-5.

"Lack of talent" explains why we can't beat the top teams in the conference. It doesn't explain why we can't beat Vanderbilt.

The funny thing is that Auburn's admin is actually really dysfunctional too. Not as dysfunctional as ours, but pretty dysfunctional. Auburn recruits well, and although Gus is inconsistent his highs are high enough to keep him around. His ceiling is winning a national title (was just a couple plays away from it in his first year, and was a game away from making it back to it in 2017).

I totally agree with you in that why can't we be like Auburn? Usually pretty good, occasionally really good. We have a lot in common with them, IMO. Historical success, passionate fanbase, etc., and also on the wrong end of some natural recruiting advantages that our rivals have. However, despite those disadvantages, Tennessee only plays 3 teams on the schedule every year that consistently recruit better than us - Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. If we lose to those 3 teams every year, and say we drop another game to our non-conference opponent or another SEC opponent, that's 8-4. Over extended periods of time, the worst seasons we should experience are something like 7-5.

"Lack of talent" explains why we can't beat the top teams in the conference. It doesn't explain why we can't beat Vanderbilt.

Exactly. Coaching has been and is the problem.

VN Store

Back