Kickoff Chant/Cheer *Official Off-Season Thread*

Bring back

I have a love/hate relationship with "third down for what".

Hate: Hideous music - origins of the song belong in the "pound me too" movement.
Love: The reaction the student body gives as shown above.

If you could channel that energy into a similar, yet better song, I'd be up for that. I think the key is the way it starts.. Instantly you know whats coming and there is an anticipation, and then it hits - before any words have been sung in the hideous song. Got to admit, it was very effective.

I appreciate your thoughts, but I wasn't a fan of it and became less of a fan every week............
In our group the husbands didn't like it. I don't know if the wives really liked it or just chanted to irritate the husbands.
So in your "group" your wives wouldn't let you chant it then. May I ask, did your group have an alpha female?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I prefer to stay with the anonymous "grunt," as you call it, rather than being stuck with anything like the embarrassingly idiotic "woof woof" of the Dawgs. Just mash the other team and none of this really matters.

I don't know about a kickoff chant, but I thought it was crazy we didn't have a 1st and 10 deal. Bama has their crappy one....but we could have a great one.

The good guys get a first down.... The announcer starts "That's a first and..."
The crowd screams "TEN-NE-SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

I don't know. It might be hokey, but would be something easy to teach and get started I think.

i like it.

also wouldn't mind something at kickoff .

@ me. IDGAF

Reactions: volinSmyrna
Or just yell Woo and nothing else.
giphy.gif

How about going the Boise State route and paint the entire field ORANGE (or even checkerboard).
Just so you'll know........... I can't even watch Boise State home games

Maybe for a game just to piss off an opponent that really hates us and our colors. lol

AIR HORNS during the kick-off and all during the game. Heck if miss state can use those God Forsaken cowbells, we should be able to bring in the VOL Navy boats' Airhorns into the stadium....and of course "Blow them responsibly".

Yeah, let’s mix beer, air horns and testosterone together....

This couldn’t go bad at all.

Bring back

Third Down for What was great; one of the freshest things Tennessee did during games in forever. The crowd responded to that. Thick bass, good rhythm, it was solid. Having seeing it and participated live , it was fantastic.

Then two things happened. One, they decided to use it on every third down and it got old -- had they retained it for bigger third downs, I think it would have been fine for a good 4-5 years at least.

Two, someone inside the program or the school must have decided they wanted it gone. The stuff about the song's connotations being inappropriate was a flimsy excuse. Both the NBA and other college football teams have used "Turn Down for What" many, many times over since Tennessee stopped using it. I've heard it played in multiple stadiums during games. No one raised a stink about it. Maybe donors complained. Maybe the players got tired of it. I don't know, I'm not an insider. But as far as crowd hype goes, it was the best thing they've had during a game in forever.

People always want to "transfer" that energy to some other song, usually one they personally prefer, but it doesn't work that way. People don't want to feel like they're being made to do something -- they want to feel like they participated in something organic that evolved (even if it's still orchestrated), something they helped make a tradition by participating in its growth. Lightning in a bottle.

Last edited:
VOOOOOLLLLLLLL NAAAAAAAATION, HAY.

That way we could copy the 'War Eagle Hay' thing and would be cool and in addition bring more recognition to FREAK.
I tell you what; I'm not on call tonight so me and my Wiser Buddy will work on it.

Aren't you all Giddy with anticipation?

NO! NO! NO! Vols fans don't duplicate, we initiate.

Maybe collectively stomp and everybody yell: Vol Quake, Vol Quake. Here comes a Vol Quake. Increased stomping. Just something noisy and Volsie.

they decided to use it on every third down and it got old -- had they retained it for bigger third downs, I think it would have been fine for a good 4-5 years at least.
^^This^^^
This killed it for me. Bama has you down 76-3 and you are going 3 and out. Hard to get behind it. Someone should have done an intervention. I think it was even done when the other team was in the "take a knee victory formation". Just wrong.

Last edited:
Can we start a chant in the 4th quarter to open the bars back up?

Sometimes we need 4th quarter alcohol.
Sometimes we don't

Reactions: turnuptheVOLtage
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFk bama! Hay!?!

alllaaaaaaa bama….. Sux Hay!?!?

Checkkkkkkk RRRRRRRRR BBOOAARRD...………..Hay!?!?

Neeeeyland's MAXIMS Hay?!?!

W G W T F A...…....Hay!?!?

Ball on the 25................Hay?!?!

Baaaaarrrrs Open....... Hay!?!?

It's Football Time in Tennessee........Into the Checkerboard......Give Him 6...…..Hay!?!?

I know, I know..........put the drinks down.

VN Store

Back