Kickoff Chant/Cheer *Official Off-Season Thread*

Third Down for What was great; one of the freshest things Tennessee did during games in forever. The crowd responded to that. Thick bass, good rhythm, it was solid. Having seeing it and participated live , it was fantastic.

Then two things happened. One, they decided to use it on every third down and it got old -- had they retained it for bigger third downs, I think it would have been fine for a good 4-5 years at least.

Two, someone inside the program or the school must have decided they wanted it gone. The stuff about the song's connotations being inappropriate was a flimsy excuse. Both the NBA and other college football teams have used "Turn Down for What" many, many times over since Tennessee stopped using it. I've heard it played in multiple stadiums during games. No one raised a stink about it. Maybe donors complained. Maybe the players got tired of it. I don't know, I'm not an insider. But as far as crowd hype goes, it was the best thing they've had during a game in forever.

People always want to "transfer" that energy to some other song, usually one they personally prefer, but it doesn't work that way. People don't want to feel like they're being made to do something -- they want to feel like they participated in something organic that evolved (even if it's still orchestrated), something they helped make a tradition by participating in its growth. Lightning in a bottle.

Auburn played the song back in '13 before it was released, IIRC.

you alright?

I'm peachy. Just over the whole college football thing. I sat here watching a good national championship game, and targe.. (Can't even type the whole word. Seems like the most obscene profanity ever written.) got called. It ensured LSU winning. Not disrespecting their win, had that call not been made, quite possibly they were probably going to win anyway.

But I have held onto hope this would be phased out. It ruins the games. I hate hearing announcer droll on and on about it. It sickens me to hear some fans cheer about it. My nieces husband is starting to come to the understanding that as long as he doesn't bring it up with me around, he stays healthy. It angers me to the point of being violent. And that ain't good.

I am not one of the sheeple who accepts that as part of the game. Kind of like growing past pro wrestling. I don't give a damn about that anymore , and college football just made the growing list. The cons now outweigh the pros.

If you guys want to enjoy it? That's you. It used to be me. It just won't be moving forward. I'm completely over it. And believe it or not, it feels good. There are a few sports out there worth watching. I can focus on those game to get my sports fix.

Just came back in to figure out how to delete my account. Still can't find it. Freak? If you please?

Guys and Gals? It's been real, and it's been fun. But now? For me, it's not real fun anymore. Y'all take care.

I'm peachy. Just over the whole college football thing. I sat here watching a good national championship game, and targe.. (Can't even type the whole word. Seems like the most obscene profanity ever written.) got called. It ensured LSU winning. Not disrespecting their win, had that call not been made, quite possibly they were probably going to win anyway.

But I have held onto hope this would be phased out. It ruins the games. I hate hearing announcer droll on and on about it. It sickens me to hear some fans cheer about it. My nieces husband is starting to come to the understanding that as long as he doesn't bring it up with me around, he stays healthy. It angers me to the point of being violent. And that ain't good.

I am not one of the sheeple who accepts that as part of the game. Kind of like growing past pro wrestling. I don't give a damn about that anymore , and college football just made the growing list. The cons now outweigh the pros.

If you guys want to enjoy it? That's you. It used to be me. It just won't be moving forward. I'm completely over it. And believe it or not, it feels good. There are a few sports out there worth watching. I can focus on those game to get my sports fix.

Just came back in to figure out how to delete my account. Still can't find it. Freak? If you please?

Guys and Gals? It's been real, and it's been fun. But now? For me, it's not real fun anymore. Y'all take care.

giphy.gif

Well... bye

Last edited:
Seriously, who goes to a game and thinks, "we really need a cheer for all of the kick offs?" I'd bet you bring your own "pom-poms" from home too, don't you?

I would venture to guess that the same type of people who thought: let’s sing rocky top after a touchdown, or let’s yell “first down” together after a first down, or say “V-O-L-S” when the band plays. Some people like being a part of something and being with other people cheering. I guess if a person doesn’t do any of those things they can still have fun... what’s the harm in trying to start something new?

WELL VOL NATION, it’s officially the off-season. Time beat this dead horse and see which trolls show up.

VN Store

Back