Kicking Vandy out of SEC???

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
Any Virginia, North Carolina, or Oklahoma schools should be the target. Clemson, GT, UCF, etc will be blackballed because they add zero eyeballs to TV screens and would never be voted in by instate SEC schools. In a perfect world for the SEC (not me) we would add UNC and OU because they would bring the most eyeballs to the screen. Duke also for basketball. However, it seems nearly impossible to bring flagship universities away from their state, especially being founding members of the conferences. Personally I would like a combination of teams that starts with Virginia Tech. Whether it be NC State, Okie State, or even West Virginia I would be good with . I think those 4 would be the most realistic and a good cultural fit that would also expand the Conference footprint. West Virginia probably does the least to help the conference $ wise or from academic prestige , but competitively, regionally, and culturally they are a natural fit and a built in rival with UK, VPI and maybe even us.

SycloneJoe

They do my bad...Holds 45000...I always remember them playing in the citrus bowl stadium for years.
Their enrollment is also over 68,000 students... largest in the state of Florida. I’m not totally disagreeing with you saying they’d be the right fit but they’re definitely not “small market”.

PandamoniumReigns

Gator Chomping with Balled Up Fists
so your ideal conference is bringing in UCF - the school who has only had football since 1979 and has only been in the FBS since 1996?? This teeters on the worst ever idea ranking right up there with Obama care
I was simply implying that UCF offers more competitive football than Vandy. As does GT. Ideally, I'd prefer a Virginia Tech, UNC, Clemson or Duke. Or even Florida State.

Un-wad your panties and put em back on now.

Roustabout

so your ideal conference is bringing in UCF - the school who has only had football since 1979 and has only been in the FBS since 1996?? This teeters on the worst ever idea ranking right up there with Obama care
I’ve been there. It’s basically a giant community college. They’ve been able to put together some good football by the amount of in state talent, hiring good coaches, and not having the academic standards of major conferences.

OrangeSoddyDaisy

As Tennessee fans, we need to be careful with the idea of "kicking" anyone out. Deteriorating football, absence of the Lady Vols of the 90s, bygone baseball, and spotty basketball at best (got tooled by Memphis here) along with the increasing urbanization of society (Knoxville ain't) make us as suspect as Vanderbilt to get picked up by the Big East or worse . . . maybe moreso.

05_never_again

As Tennessee fans, we need to be careful with the idea of "kicking" anyone out. Deteriorating football, absence of the Lady Vols of the 90s, bygone baseball, and spotty basketball at best (got tooled by Memphis here) along with the increasing urbanization of society (Knoxville ain't) make us as suspect as Vanderbilt to get picked up by the Big East or worse . . . maybe moreso.
Conference membership is much more about how much money you're bringing in as opposed to how successful you are. Tennessee still has one of the largest and most profitable athletic departments despite football being a black hole for a decade plus.

OrangeSoddyDaisy

Conference membership is much more about how much money you're bringing in as opposed to how successful you are. Tennessee still has one of the largest and most profitable athletic departments despite football being a black hole for a decade plus.
Agree, but academics is in the formula as well. As far as football revenue, we'll drop substantially with the limitations on seating that are planned. We don't have the national audience of an Auburn, Florida, Alabama, or Georgia. We're more like Arkansas.

05_never_again

Agree, but academics is in the formula as well. As far as football revenue, we'll drop substantially with the limitations on seating that are planned. We don't have the national audience of an Auburn, Florida, Alabama, or Georgia. We're more like Arkansas.
Nope.

Everyone is going to drop substantially on football revenue this year. Or are you talking about potential reduced capacity at Neyland due to the renovations? It's still one of the highest capacity stadiums in the conference and the country.

Tennessee has an audience every bit the size of Auburn's, and the only reason it doesn't have a national audience the size of Florida, Alabama, or Georgia is because of a lack of recent success, not anything else.

IPleadInsanity

Yes, we need more competition to promote higher spending and more greed in the SEC and college football overall. Pretty soon we will be saying, what do we need these schools that are attached to our football programs, they are such a drain. Let's start paying the players millions so they don't need to go to college and why have all of these rules and restrictions? We could then actually start paying these kids in middle school and get them under contract soon as possible. Pay the parents to, hell pay the whole family, we need to win! Or we could be more like Vanderbilt?

Rasputin_Vol

"Only the little people pay taxes"

VN Store

Sponsors