Key Gators linebacker reportedly out for the year

Because good fans have hope.... they don't give up before even playing the game. I have seen a couple on the fringe calling for a UF win. I have seen a BUNCH writing the game off as a loss. Neither are being "realistic". UT is unlikely to beat UF straight up. The fact that they play Bama the week before the UT game while UT has an opportunity to clean up a bunch of mistakes from Pitt vs TTU... helps. To deny it helps is to very much deny reality.

Now... is it enough? Maybe not. Probably not. Like any other game it comes down to match ups. UF hasn't been great in the passing game. They're last in the SEC with 4 INT's so far. Our discussions here show that UT obviously isn't good right now in the passing game either... but honestly... Hooker was. If you extrapolate what he did vs Pitt to the rest of that game and BGSU then UT would be in the top 5 in the SEC. My point is that UT has missed a lot of potential plays in the passing game. UF is very run focused right now and they're really good at it.

So... can UT's DL hold up and make more stops in the run game than FAU and USF? Can they push UF into "have to" passing situations? Can the secondary hang with UF's receivers? We don't know those answers yet. We don't know how UF's D will play against an SEC offense either.

For perspective, FAU looks to be a decent team. They played hard and had some success but UF controlled the game pretty much from start to finish. That was a good win. FAU beat up on Ga Southern this past week.

USF is an awful team. NCSU beat them 45-0 in week one before and dominated them defensively more than UF did.

Then... can UT's O improve and play within design- stretch the field and run the ball? I don't know.

I say all that to say this... when you look at the matchups there are paths where UT can win. Their margin for error is much smaller than UF's... but it isn't "hopeless" or a game not even worth the trip to play it.
Our biggest problem is that we can’t rush the passer very much. I actually like our offensive scheme and big play ability. We have to keep the faith

The best part about never having expectations is that you’ll never be disappointed.

Hate it for the guy. I think we lost an OL with a similar injury. These guys work hard year round with the hope of being able to cash in their hard work for an NFL paycheck. Hate to see these season ending injuries to anyone…

Hate it for the young man, never want to see anyone get hurt, having said that, this is the only time in the decade I pull for Alabama. I hope they beat Florida so bad that they set the program back 5 years! This should be a wake up call for Florida fans to how far they are behind the truly elite teams in College football and I can't wait.
The two prettiest faces I've ever seen in my life are my wife on our wedding day, and a long gator face! GBO!
I'm trying to imagine a pretty Gator face would look like? Never seen one.

It’s the first road game of the year, at night, in Gainesville.

Tennessee has 4 wins total against teams who finished above .500 since 2017.

Kentucky (2x), Auburn, and Indiana.

Reactions: mitzustu

Remind me. Was that before or after we hired Josh Heupel?

Reactions: HalfullVol
Our biggest problem is that we can’t rush the passer very much. I actually like our offensive scheme and big play ability. We have to keep the faith
Agreed. I expected better vs Pitt and particularly up the middle. That needs to improve.

I still have hope... I wouldn't call it faith yet.

Reactions: HalfullVol

The past can tell us about the two teams and many of the players. Looking at that, UF is likely but not certain to win.

Looking at what players who by and large won't be playing and coaches that won't be coaching did tells us what? Pretty much nothing.

The past can tell us about the two teams and many of the players. Looking at that, UF is likely but not certain to win.

Looking at what players who by and large won't be playing and coaches that won't be coaching did tells us what? Pretty much nothing.

Sure it does. Tennessee has a group of guys who aren’t used to winning and finding ways to lose.

They did it again against Pitt.

Until that changes, it’s hard to predict wins against competent teams.

It can happen, but it’s not likely. Particularly on the road

Personally the way both states of Florida and Tennessee make national news for covid. I am bracing for players being ineligible.

The game is a night game. Reptile fans will be tanked up and turn the Swamp into a septic tank. Vol fans beware!
Gives the fans extra time to empty bladders into the urine cups to dump on our players for sure.

Sure it does. Tennessee has a group of guys who aren’t used to winning and finding ways to lose.
Except its mostly different players and a different staff. So who are those "guys"?

They did it again against Pitt.
Actually not why they lost to Pitt. They kept making mistakes that teams going back to Jones' last year or two would have shut down over... and kept coming back. UT lost to Pitt because they made mistakes and missed opportunities... particularly the deep throws early. They didn't lose because they quit or expected to lose.

Until that changes, it’s hard to predict wins against competent teams.

It can happen, but it’s not likely. Particularly on the road
UF has more talent right now. Like I've said dozens of times... a win isn't likely this year but it has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons you gave. UF just has more advantages.

Let's put it this way. You have a girlfriend that you love but she has a habit of drinking too much and flirting. Ultimately she cheats on you but promises to never do it again... then she does... and does... and does. You may feel pretty jaded against all women... but does that in anyway whatsoever guarantee that a new girlfriend who doesn't drink and is careful about how she relates to other guys will fail too?

I don't know what UT has in this staff. I didn't like some things I saw in the first two games but hopefully they'll improve. I did like that for the first time in a long time... they didn't quit when things went against them or they made mistakes.

What I do know is their success or failure and that of an entirely new roster mix does not depend on the incompetence of Pruitt or Jones any more than your outcome depends on McElwain..

Last edited:
Reactions: KptVFL
Regardless of any other considerations….this is the first real test for Heupel. The first three games make for interesting chatter. Going to the swamp is where a coaches true values shine or else where his deficiencies get clearly exposed. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Key Gators linebacker reportedly out for the year
Losing their 2020 leading tackler and playing Alabama this Saturday, Vols might just be in a position to beat the Gators.
There's been plenty of times UT should have been in position to beat UF. When UF has a bad game against UT, UT seems to have a worse game. There was 1 year that had abysmal offensive games by both teams. I think 6 turnovers between the teams. 3 a piece. But UF got in the end zone and kicked a FG while UT kicked 3 FGs.

Then you have the 28-27 BS with terrible tackling by the DB the next year and the last play hail Mary 2 years after that (I mean seriously, don't let anyone behind you when they only have 1 play left to win the game). Until UT proves they can win against UF and do it consistently (or even compete as of right now), I won't ever get my hopes up too high for a W against UF.

Reactions: VolinMC

VN Store

Back