Kentucky

How exactly does Heupel having moderate success at UCF, change the fact that UT's "winning tradition", of which you feel is so important, isn't relevant today?

Also Heupel didn't come here for a $700k/year raise, he came he here for a $2.3 million/year raise. Who wouldn't roll the dice at UT if you were getting more than double your existing salary after only being a HC for 3 years?

Josh Heupel to earn $4 million annually as Tennessee football coach
Heupel's initial contract with UCF was a five-year deal worth $1.7 million annually.
UT has proven they can win and nationally contend. Otherwise, recruits would just go to UCF or KY.

How does UT being TOP 10 all time in wins and draft picks deter recruits from coming here, Bearded? You haven’t answered that yet.

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but you are essentially saying history doesn’t matter to these modern recruits. That’s just not true. Maybe the minority, but not the majority.

Last edited:
UT has proven they can win and nationally contend. Otherwise, recruits would just go to UCF or KY.

How does UT being TOP 10 all time in wins and draft picks deter recruits from coming here, Bearded? You haven’t answered that yet.

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but you are essentially saying history doesn’t matter to these modern recruits. That’s just not true. Maybe the minority, but not the majority.

You are really struggling with the reality that is UT football aren't you?

I didn't say that being top 10 in all time wins and draft picks deters top recruits, I said that being top 10 in all time wins and draft recruits, because of the state of the program 30+ years ago, is not going to entice recruits in 2021.

They do not care about of what UT did back in the 50's, 80's, 90's or even the early 2000's. They want to play for a coach and program that is going to develop them, and give them the best shot at getting into the NFL.

Until UT and Heupel can prove that they are capable of doing so again, "winning tradition" means nothing.

Has Kentucky now passed us in football? I think it’s a legitimate question to ask at the moment. They have a more stable program and coach and are now recruiting better. They have made 5 straight bowl appearances and have a 2-2 record against us since 2017 along with blowing us out in Neyland last season 34-7. They will also be probaly favored in this years game in Lexington. What are y’all’s thoughts is Kentucky a more attractive football program now and going forward?
Nope. This is like a Titans fan saying they are better than the Colts because they won a division for the first time in 13 years. UK is not, and will not be better overall than UT. Same for the Titans.

If JG doesn't JG we probably beat UK 34-7 last year. Our defense was destroying them because they had no QB, our offensive line was mauling them and we moved the ball at will.

If "if's" and "but's" were candies and nuts it'd be Christmas every day.

No. However, Stoops is a better coach than anything UT has had since Fulmer. I don’t understand why someone hasn’t thrown big bucks at him and gotten him out of Lexington. No he’s not winning championships, but Kentucky is one helluva tough out. That was never the case before Stoops. Very similar to Mullen at Miss State, although Mullen’s results there were a little better, especially during the Dak Prescott years.

Even after Fulmer, Butch and Pruitt has beaten Stoops at least once.

Stoops is good but Tennessee lives rent free in his head.

Cal is a glorified recruiter who somehow turned it into a HC job. If there was a T10 of coaches that pssed away talent h would lead the pack by 3-4 miles.

If he cant beat Tennessee and or get Kentucky another title he'll be fired.

Cal is to basketball what Phil was to football.

No. However, Stoops is a better coach than anything UT has had since Fulmer. I don’t understand why someone hasn’t thrown big bucks at him and gotten him out of Lexington. No he’s not winning championships, but Kentucky is one helluva tough out. That was never the case before Stoops. Very similar to Mullen at Miss State, although Mullen’s results there were a little better, especially during the Dak Prescott years.
Mullen is a better in game coach than Stoops imo.

Reactions: feathersax

He is right. What the hell does some 18 year old kid care about going to a school cause they were good way back when some dead guy was coach?
It's almost like basketball now where players go to play for a coach not the program.
Of you were a bad ass high school WR would you want to play at bama and Florida with all the WR they sent to the NFL the last 2 years or Tennessee?
An 18 year old has 10 years of memory. The last 10 years of Tennessee football is what they have seen. Until Tennessee has a coach that blue chip players in good numbers want to play for by winning with lesser players, Tennessee will remain down. Kentucky's coach stoops proved early even when they lost they were not a bad team.
That is why as long as Tennessee isnt horrible after next year, Josh needs to stick around awhile and settle the program down. Get it back to a winning program and then see where Tennessee is at. With the much stiffer competition for recruits, I dont know if being a powerhouse is in the foreseeable future.

We are currently though trending to lose about 3 or 4 straight to them. Gotta live in the moment! after a 26 game win streak against them they have notched 3 wins against us since 2011 and suddenly this isn’t a gimme conference win for us anymore and neither is Vandy sadly.
I feel ya. For me, It isn't unfathomable for us to go 1-7, in conference, and 3-1 out of conference, and finish 4-8. We'll just have to see. I'm picking us 5-7 or 6-6. Folks, as usual, are drinking the damn Kool-Aid, and setting the bar at 7, 8 and 9 wins. These are the same people who will call for Heupel's head, if Pitt beats us. Pitt beating us is much more likely than you think.

I feel ya. For me, It isn't unfathomable for us to go 1-7, in conference, and 3-1 out of conference, and finish 4-8. We'll just have to see. I'm picking us 5-7 or 6-6. Folks, as usual, are drinking the damn Kool-Aid, and setting the bar at 7, 8 and 9 wins. These are the same people who will call for Heupel's head, if Pitt beats us. Pitt beating us is much more likely than you think.

Even with our ransacked roster, there's no reason that Heupel should lose to South Carolina in Shane Beamer's first year as a HC. Same for Lea at Vanderbilt.

Zero excuses to lose to either of those teams this season.

Pitt beating us wouldn’t surprise me neither would well anybody outside of the 3 other easier non conference games. I can see 4-8 or 5-7 this season easily 6-6 or 7-5 would be a outstanding season.

Even with our ransacked roster, there's no reason that Heupel should lose to South Carolina in Shane Beamer's first year as a HC. Same for Lea at Vanderbilt.

Zero excuses to lose to either of those teams this season.
Def agree we should beat South Carolina and Vandy despite everything that has gone down since Pruitt was fired and all the transfers we lost. We still are in better shape than both of those teams and have better talent. If Heupel can pull a upset at Mizzou or Kentucky and beat Ole Miss and win 4 SEC games he should be COY in the SEC.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Def agree we should beat South Carolina and Vandy despite everything that has gone down since Pruitt was fired and all the transfers we lost. We still are in better shape than both of those teams and have better talent. If Heupel can pull a upset at Mizzou or Kentucky and beat Ole Miss and win 4 SEC games he should be COY in the SEC.

We beat Mizzou last year...
Kentucky usually every year historically...

I like Kentucky and how they've built themselves into a respectable program.
But they are not even close to being in the same league as Tennessee as a program.

Tennessee won't lose to Kentucky while Heupel is coach. Because as I've pointed out to you BEFORE. Anytime UT has an offense in the top 30...not top 5...TOP 30... They completely dominate UK.

Victories against either would not be an upset. Ole Miss either...

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
If Phil had that much talent yearly he’d be an all time great and this free fall never happens at Tennessee. It’s sickening what Cal has compared to results

Phil did have that much talent, or at least close to it. They didn’t call Phil the closer for nothing on the recruiting trail.

We beat Mizzou last year...
Kentucky usually every year historically...

I like Kentucky and how they've built themselves into a respectable program.
But they are not even close to being in the same league as Tennessee as a program.

Tennessee won't lose to Kentucky while Heupel is coach. Because as I've pointed out to you BEFORE. Anytime UT has an offense in the top 30...not top 5...TOP 30... They completely dominate UK.

Victories against either would not be an upset. Ole Miss either...
Why are you assuming we'll have a top 30 offense? This ain't UCF, we play teams with actual defenses.

Reactions: VolWatchman
Of course not, that's stupid. Are we a more attractive basketball program then them. I mean we beat them as much or more since Barnes was hired, right?
But we have never been to a final four and they have multiple banners. Just like Kentucky has never mon anything in football and we have multiple rings.
They may occasionally have better TEAMS than Tennessee, but will never be a better PROGRAM.

You should see his takes on the politics board. We thought he was bad over there.

Has Kentucky now passed us in football? I think it’s a legitimate question to ask at the moment. They have a more stable program and coach and are now recruiting better. They have made 5 straight bowl appearances and have a 2-2 record against us since 2017 along with blowing us out in Neyland last season 34-7. They will also be probaly favored in this years game in Lexington. What are y’all’s thoughts is Kentucky a more attractive football program now and going forward?

Historically, no. However, Tennessee need to right the ship. At this very moment, they have begun to build stability in Lexington. And the only thing they know about stability in Knoxville is how to spell it, and maybe the word for word definition. So, at this red hot moment? They do have a leg up on recruiting. And it is going to take time for Tennessee to polish it's reputation, and impress recruits. Or they may stay above the Vols on the SEC Totem Pole for a good while.

VN Store

Back