Kentucky lost again

Well Cal certainly isn't going to strategize his way to a win in a close game. He has some serious strengths as a coach but that isn't one of them.

Agreed. He has really struggled down the stretch in many games. But part of it is having young kids that have little experience in big situations. Unless you have killers like Wall, Knight, or Murray it's hard to win big games. Guard play is weak this year and we can't shoot at all.

UK didn't make 2009 NCAA
They played NIT got knocked out by Notre Dame 3rd game..
could be a repeat year Billy Gillespie was fired
Calapari took over

I think he gets a pass for the circumstances this year. But next year, assuming it's a full normal year with returning guys will be interesting. Will be thin ice for cal.

Kentucky is 1-6 and LSU just struggled with Nicholls State. It's not easy to see where our competition comes from in the SEC this season. Florida, maybe? I like our chances.
Oh they’ll be competitive against the Vols. Always have and probably always will be. I too like our chances but I try not to get so fired up I lose perspective.

Cal has his challenges this year no doubt. I think they’ll be pretty good very soon thou. They just don’t have a real leader type as in years past. They’ll make the tourney (SEC office will take care of that). Maybe the OAD philosophy isn’t what it was a few years ago.

Kentucky is 1-6 and LSU just struggled with Nicholls State. It's not easy to see where our competition comes from in the SEC this season. Florida, maybe? I like our chances.
Ky always brings their A game for UT and LSU brings their own refs. So both games will be tough. Don’t put those games in the win column just yet.

Ky always brings their A game for UT and LSU brings their own refs. So both games will be tough. Don’t put those games in the win column just yet.
Tennessee always brings their A game for Kentucky. They have gotten the better of them more often than not in the past 10 years.

Reactions: volfaninky
It just looked to me like both teams (Cats and Cards) didn’t really have a leader on the floor especially when they needed it.

Reactions: Border Vol
I think he gets a pass for the circumstances this year. But next year, assuming it's a full normal year with returning guys will be interesting. Will be thin ice for cal.
I don't think the ice will be that thin. KY will want Cal to go out on his own accord. If Cal gets fired, the skeletons will start coming out of the closet.

Reactions: kcvols1
Coach Cal rooting hard for a COVID canceled season right now.

Cal really did overschedule this year. He knows it. I think the selection committee should take that into consideration. I also think they'll see the SEC tournament as their ticket to the dance.

Cal really did overschedule this year. He knows it. I think the selection committee should take that into consideration. I also think they'll see the SEC tournament as their ticket to the dance.
He said something in his post game press conference about regretting the scheduling he did, but honestly, it’s not a terribly difficult schedule. None of Richmond, UNC, Louisville, Georgia Tech, or Notre Dame or exactly world beaters this year. The second most difficult OOC game they’ll play this year will be Texas in the Big XII challenge. I’d say our OOC schedule was at least comparable before Covid wrecked it, and probably tougher if one considers the Big XII challenge games. Gonzaga, Kansas, Wisconsin is a tougher slate than Kansas, Texas, UNC this year

He said something in his post game press conference about regretting the scheduling he did, but honestly, it’s not a terribly difficult schedule. None of Richmond, UNC, Louisville, Georgia Tech, or Notre Dame or exactly world beaters this year. The second most difficult OOC game they’ll play this year will be Texas in the Big XII challenge. I’d say our OOC schedule was at least comparable before Covid wrecked it, and probably tougher if one considers the Big XII challenge games. Gonzaga, Kansas, Wisconsin is a tougher slate than Kansas, Texas, UNC this year

Strength of schedule (ESPN) puts them at #22. The only team in the SEC with a tougher one is South Car. Granted these things can change quickly given how early it is but to be fair ours is 237:

College Basketball Power Index - NCAA Tournament Predictions

St Joes is #1 in SoS.

UK didn't make 2009 NCAA
They played NIT got knocked out by Notre Dame 3rd game..
could be a repeat year Billy Gillespie was fired
Calapari took over

2013 was better; missed the NCAAT and was made the #1 overall seed in the NIT and lost the first game to Robert Morris.

in continued praise of the A10, Texas ( a top 10 kenpom team) was lucky to outlast Davidson on Monday afternoon. Wildcats were were picked somewhere between sixth to eighth in A10, but McKillop may have uncovered a star in this big kid from New Zealand and has the experience and smarts to crack the top three or four. Too bad Bill Walton and his young wise....s calling the game were too busy trading trivia and tripping over themselves. It was the best-played game of the annual Maui invitational that is being played in Asheville. Bama embarrassed the SEC in the nightcap against Stanford. Sorta believe Tiders don't even know they have the ingredients of a very solid team.
Better.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Oh they’ll be competitive against the Vols. Always have and probably always will be. I too like our chances but I try not to get so fired up I lose perspective.
Agree. I’d tap the brakes a bit on thinking KY is ever an automatic win for us.
Heck, best I remember it was during the down years of Gillespie that our arena went from being named Thompson Bowling Arena to Jodie Meeks Arena.

VN Store

Back