Kelvin Taylor > Derrick Henry...and other bold NFL Draft predictions

Weird you keep saying he lacks initial acceleration when sports science has Henry's initial burst better than Elliot's and better than everyone they've tested in this years draft

But we have eyes and have seen him play. He doesn't have good initial burst in pads.

They tested his cutting ability and while he was behind Elliot he was still top five in RB's this year so again you still don't know what you are talking about.

Guess Henry is another one of those guys who tests better than he plays. On the film his cutting ability is wack. Its the main reason he has so many stops in the backfield. He can't make people miss. Kelvin on the other hand is amazing at creating for himself.

Guess Henry is another one of those guys who tests better than he plays. On the film his cutting ability is wack. Its the main reason he has so many stops in the backfield. He can't make people miss. Kelvin on the other hand is amazing at creating for himself.

He didn't create squat against Bama or FSU, the two teams he faced that are loaded with NFL DLs and LBs.

He didn't create squat against Bama or FSU, the two teams he faced that are loaded with NFL DLs and LBs.

I think D4H is partially right about Taylor. He's not his dad by any stretch, but he is a pretty talented kid. Nice burst, good laterally, decent speed, good power for his size, runs hard.

However, his "creating for himself" was spotty at best last year from game to game....

East Carolina- 3.4 ypc
Kentucky- 2.8 ypc
OleMiss- 3.1 ypc
Missouri- 3.5 ypc
LSU- 1.7 ypc
Vandy- 2.8 ypc
Fla Atlantic- 4.0 ypc
Bama- 1.1 ypc

So, in 8 of his 14 games, he had 152 carries for 467 yards, 3.1 yards per carry. It's true he had a god-awful OL, but he wasn't exactly Barry Sanders in terms of creating for himself.

Even against Tennessee, he had 47 of his 102 yards on 1 play where our walkon MLB got dominated so that Taylor pretty much popped through a gap and wasn't touches until he had already run 43-44 of the 47 yards. For the rest of the game he averaged....you guessed it....3.1 yards per carry vs Tennessee. Honestly, the only game that jumps off the page as impressive last year for him was the Florida State game. Otherwise, not a whole lot to brag about.

I can see Taylor taken in the middle rounds and being a serviceable to good RB at the next level, but in no way is he the second best RB in this draft, nor should anyone project him as a star at the next level.

Last edited:
The NFL will make Henry look average. It tends to do that to many great college players...

Let me say as a Gators' fan in total candor, Kelvin Taylor is not going to be a quality NFL running back.

He does a lot of things fairly well, but he does nothing exceptionally well.

He's an average, at best, blocker. He's not small, but he's not big. He's not slow, but he's not fast. He has some elusiveness, but by and large, he doesn't make tacklers miss.

He's not great as a runner, as a pass catcher, as a blocker, or down on the goal line.

He's a guy.

Let me say as a Gators' fan in total candor, Kelvin Taylor is not going to be a quality NFL running back.

He does a lot of things fairly well, but he does nothing exceptionally well.

He's an average, at best, blocker. He's not small, but he's not big. He's not slow, but he's not fast. He has some elusiveness, but by and large, he doesn't make tacklers miss.

He's not great as a runner, as a pass catcher, as a blocker, or down on the goal line.

He's a guy.

He's got a great initial acceleration, great cutting ability, and good vision. He'll be a really good NFL RB. Similar to Frank Gore.

Henry on the other hand is Brandon Jacobs 2.0.

I've always liked Williams more than Collins even when Collins was getting all the hype. The foot injury will concern some teams though.

I agree. That being said, Collns is very good as well. I could see both of them having success at the NFL level. Wouldn't mind seeing the Titans draft either of them.

VN Store

Back