Kellie Jolly Harper

Introducing the original corn-fed, hand-spanked chicks as anointed by Long Beach State Univ. during the 1987 final four semi-final....

Starting poll position: 3rd (11-18-86)
Highest 1986-87 ranking: 1st (three times)
Lowest 1986-87 ranking: 9th (2-16-87)
Final 1986-87 poll position: 7th (3-10-87)
Actual NCAA finish: NCAA CHAMPIONS

4 *Dawn Marsh JR G 5-6 Alcoa, TN
11 Kathy Spinks JR F/C 6-2 Forest Hills, KY
12 *Sheila Frost SO C 6-4 Pulaski, TN
14 Gay Townson JR F 5-9 Loudon, TN
23 *Shelley Sexton SR G 5-7 Lake City, TN
24 Carla McGhee FR F 6-3 Peoria, IL
30 *Bridgette Gordon SO F 6-0 DeLand, FL
32 Jennifer Tuggle RS-SO F 6-2 Etowah, TN
33 Tonya Edwards FR G 5-10 Flint, MI
34 Lisa Webb JR F 5-9 Milledgeville, GA
35 Melissa McCray SO G/F 5-10 Johnson City, TN
40 Sabrina Mott FR G 5-9 Brentwood, TN
44 Cheryl Littlejohn SR C 6-3 Gastonia, NC
55 *Karla Horton JR F/C 6-2 Kershaw, SC

I may get chased off of this forum but I see a little bit of Pat Summitt in Kellie. Her demeanor is the same. She is in charge at half time and she does the coaching, not her assistants. I get the feeling that she is hard as nails on her girls but the girls seem to take her criticism in style. Kellie, in yelling at the refs, reminds me of Pat. And she is developing that stare that Pat had. Her girls have the same physique as Pat's first teams, big old country chicks. Although Pat did go away from that plan in her later years. Just my opinion.

Ur rite..sometimes she talks I remember pat..I can't imagine if she had same team as Holly for 7yrs..With that team Mercedes, R, Diamond, Evina, superstar team she would've win every team.

Reactions: mcannon1 and JCP201
She has a lot to prove. Still losing games they should win and tons of turnovers. Congratulations for tonight.

Give praise to her 100% and don't complain. Holly had better team than her and lost 7 straight lost including worst Vandy team.

Shes a dang sight better than the last coach we had. Big improvement. I think they are just a player or two away.
Connecticut is number one right now, and we came thisclose to beating them. I think if they play like they do when at their best--then they can beat anyone. The height of these girls is insane and intimidating.

Big Ol Country Chicks is what the Dixie Chicks shoulda changed their name to

You guys are close on the nickname. Back in the 1987 NCAA women's BB tournament, Tennessee (who wins it all for Pat's first championship) played Long Beach State in the first game of the final four. LB St. had a very athletic, quick team but they were also very slender. The Last Vols had a strong, big physical team led by the very physical Bridgett Gordon. This team was the epitome of Pat's belief that rebounding wins championships. They absolutely pounded LB St into submission. During the post-game press conference one of their players called our team a bunch of "Corn Fed Chicks."

Sports Illustrated made that the centerpiece of its coverage.

I like seeing more of Kellie with a tude -- This is a really silly thing-- it s OK for coach to dress like a female which she certainly is - would like to see ditching the high heels and wear LV basketball shoes -- looks a little more jock like and can move better on the sidelines

Kellie has two looks. On the road, she dresses much like she does during practice, sweat pants, athletic shoes (in orange), and an athletic top. I am guessing she wants to travel light and not worry about wrinkled dress clothes.

At home, she goes with more formal attire with the heels, skirts, etc. I kinda like that she mixes it up. She looks good both ways.

Last edited:
Enough said...
default.jpg

You guys are close on the nickname. Back in the 1987 NCAA women's BB tournament, Tennessee (who wins it all for Pat's first championship) played Long Beach State in the first game of the final four. LB St. had a very athletic, quick team but they were also very slender. The Last Vols had a strong, big physical team led by the very physical Bridgett Gordon. This team was the epitome of Pat's belief that rebounding wins championships. They absolutely pounded LB St into submission. During the post-game press conference one of their players called our team a bunch of "Corn Fed Chicks."

Sports Illustrated made that the centerpiece of its coverage.
Great history lesson! Saying Bridgett Gordon was ”very physical” is almost an understatement. She would probably foul out in the 3rd quarter every game if she was playing now. A true enforcer.

I thought Walker at p.g. was outstanding!!
I believe that the Lady Vols maybe one of the most dangerious teams in America. They proved that they can hange in with teams in the top five. They hung tough with UNCONN, hung tough with A&M until they had to foul during the waning minutes of the fourth quarter and made the biggest comeback under KJH's two year history with the LV's. This was shades of the old days under Pat. I am not ready to say she is on the same level as Pat but whatever she said at half time sure put a spark in the ladies. At the beginning of the second half until the end of the game, the ladies showed up and showed out. Davis showed why she is considered one of the best players in the country. Burrell, well if not for her all would have been lost in the first half. Key and KK played their part in making life hell for the USC post players. Key just keeps getting better. She committed some silly fouls but also had a couple of fouls called on her which were questionable. She and KK battled Boston and made her work for her points, even though Boston got away with pushing and hooking. The point guard play was not great but it was good. Horston made some awesome drives to the baskets. I believe she has a load of potential at the two or the three. On a couple of rebounds she showed that she can sky with the best. Overall great comeback, great game.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I thought Walker at p.g. was outstanding!!
I guess we have a different standard for what is outstanding.

Yes, she made a few good plays, but in her 31 minutes she scored 6 points, had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. 2-6 from the field, 0-1 on threes and
2-4 on free throws.

I guess we have a different standard for what is outstanding.

Yes, she made a few good plays, but in her 31 minutes she scored 6 points, had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. 2-6 from the field, 0-1 on threes and
2-4 on free throws.
32 minutes of hard defense,showed some leadership,allowed Horston some rest. Clutch layup during the comeback. Some things don't show up on the stat sheet. Bet you ask Kellie if she liked her play she would agree with me!!! Intangibles are immeasurable!!! Learn the game...

32 minutes of hard defense,showed some leadership,allowed Horston some rest. Clutch layup during the comeback. Some things don't show up on the stat sheet. Bet you ask Kellie if she liked her play she would agree with me!!! Intangibles are immeasurable!!! Learn the game...
She did some good things. Liked her play is different than outstanding.

Sorry, I know the game. No need to throw an insult out there.

And sorry, I guess I didn't need to post my original post. I have no filter sometimes.

Learning to win is a process and it takes time. No one can question the improvement over the past 2 years. Sure we have lost games we should have won, but consider this--the late game giveaway at West Va was soon followed by a tough win at Indiana. The late game loss versus Connecticut was followed by a phenomenal come back win against the Gamecocks. I'm thrilled with where we are and where we are headed. There will still be bumps in the road but I have hope, which was lacking previously.
Great upset win for the lady Vols. However without a whole lot better recruiting that is probably all we can expect, a few big upsets.
according to espn recruiting list we did not sign one player in the top 50 in 2020 class. And none in the top 40 in the 2021 class. if this trend continues it doesn’t bode well for the near future. There is the transfer route but that is a questionable way to hope for success.
the coaching staff must find a way to sign more top level high school players. Let’s hope they can. The last coaching staff put us in a bad way.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
She did some good things. Liked her play is different than outstanding.

Sorry, I know the game. No need to throw an insult out there.

And sorry, I guess I didn't need to post my original post. I have no filter sometimes.

Though I agree with you, "not outstanding" but timely good and significant in the win

Hint: it's not that you post negatively,,,it's that you ALWAYS post negatively against someone trying to lift up an athlete....Every now and then swallow your "I know more than you" smugness and agree with a poster every now and then and they/I might start not being so hateful towards you

Just a suggestion

Though I agree with you, "not outstanding" but timely good and significant in the win

Hint: it's not that you post negatively,,,it's that you ALWAYS post negatively against someone trying to lift up an athlete....Every now and then swallow your "I know more than you" smugness and agree with a poster every now and then and they/I might start not being so hateful towards you

Just a suggestion
I get it and it’s why I apologized.

I get it and it’s why I apologized.

and again, you couldn’t just say... Yes, you’re right my bad.

i guess it’s just in the delivery but now you see what i’ve been trying to say. The “smugness” was the best way to put it. your posts could actually be likable but it’s the delivery for me

and again, you couldn’t just say... Yes, you’re right my bad.

i guess it’s just in the delivery but now you see what i’ve been trying to say. The “smugness” was the best way to put it. your posts could actually be likable but it’s the delivery for me
Not sure any way I put it wouldn’t annoy you and others.

Reactions: mcannon1 and glv98
Nope, not true we are telling you and you still not listening...

but again, you do you bud. I think you enjoy stirring the pot well you’ve admitted to it so it’s all good
I’m willing to learn Sendai.

Please tell me how I should have told him that her play wasn’t outstanding with the underlying data to show that.

I’m willing to learn Sendai.

Please tell me how I should have told him that her play wasn’t outstanding with the underlying data to show that.

While Jordan made impactful plays her turnovers were still a concern. Neither team shot particularly great but even with the the turnovers TN still only had 13 which is an improvement. Still included the data, still pointed out room for improvement, gave the player credit for stepping up.

Anything else ? You can say what you have to say without being a troll about it ...

VN Store

Back