Kellie Harper officially announced as Lady Vols BB Coach...

So we fired a coach that won 72% of her games, to hire a coach that has won 58% of her games, against lesser competition. We'll be back here in 4 years.
I'm apprehensive too, but don't pretend 72% is a great percentage considering the talent and program she inherited. Warlick under performed by every metric imaginable.

Call me crazy but she reminds me of Pat and her work ethic. I grew up watching her play and can remember her diving for any ball on the floor, she was relentless. I think if she can pass this on to the players she can build this up sooner rather than later.

Take the name off the resume and does a coach with a career .587 winning percentage get the job? No way in hell. Way better options out there hands down.

Now that I'm done venting, I hope I'm wrong and Kellie is successful... Loved her as a player and hope I will as a coach. Now time for a few drinks!!!

Reactions: tbwhhs
Take the name off the resume and does a coach with a career .587 winning percentage get the job? No way in hell. Way better options out there hands down.!
Who were some of those better options?
Btw, I agree, without the LV past we probably don't interview KJH.

Pretty pricey considering we were paying Holly $650,000. I’ll say this, I can’t say much about her basketball coaching IQ or her recruiting ability, but she definitely inspires those who play for her. She’s got that “killer” passion that leads to great runs in tournaments. For example, she never won the MVC regular season once in six years, but she’s won two tournament titles. She inspires that kinda passion. The players feed off it. I see some heartbreaking loses and some magical runs in our future. Let’s have some fun with this one right now (a legend comes home) and keep our healthy skepticism of unproven coaches squarely on Mr. Pruitt.

So we fired a coach that won 72% of her games, to hire a coach that has won 58% of her games, against lesser competition. We'll be back here in 4 years.
Lady Vols lost at home to Vanderbilt for the first time EVER ... please think about that before
waving around 72%.
Tell ya what ....Let's meet back here and have a chat in four years ... what are ya drinkin ? I'm buyin.

Anybody that is not cautious about this hire EITHER way should be dismissed as having a relevant thought.... It is one thing to be hopeful, another to be adamant that the future is extraordinarily bright. Likewise it is one thing to question the hire, but another to prognosticate doom and question the AD's analysis without even knowing what it was comprised of.

I’m cautious as I know her history. I also understand/have heard the rumblings about why NC state didn’t work out. I also know I like what I see in her as a coach. I like the type of game she had her team playing in the tournament. I liked the look of fearlessness in her, and their eyes. If she can keep this team in fact it will be the most talented she’s ever coached. Let’s see what she does her first year, and build from there.

If she can get us to the tournament and the second round(preferably sweet 16) in her first year with the mess that holly has instilled in these players and left behind, I will consider this a great hire for the future.

Vol Nation is therapy.

Bargain basement therapy, but nevertheless....
latest

Didn't have superpowers? I'm not sure about that, lol. She was the most intimidating woman I've ever met, and I'm not a small guy.
Only woman that ever intimidated me. Not sure any man has ever intimidated me...except my daddy. She was something else, and a class act while doing it.

OT...hope you are doing well, @Weezer, still say an occasional prayer for you😉.

Reactions: VolNExile
Press conference is at 4 pm est today. Kellie has personality will be great to watch what she has to say today.

Reactions: creekdipper
Seeing everybody want to compare Holly Warlick and Kellie Harper's winning percentages I did some research. Over the past 4 seasons Harper and Warlick have the exact same record at 86-47 (.547) with 4. Now for two of those seasons at Missouri State Kellie was having to continue her rebuild after losing a good amount of seniors after making the 2016 NCAA tournament (still made the WNIT and didn't finish lower than third in the conference). I do the past four seasons because after a 30 win season in 2015 is when a noticeable drop happened for Tennessee. So yes Holly Warlick does have a better record over her career, but the past 4 seasons with a great pool of talent, was completely even with Kellie Harper in terms of wins and losses (SEC is tougher than MVC, but we all know of the mind-boggling losses the past 4 seasons). Now does this prove that Kellie will bring Tennessee back to prominence? No, but everybody should wait to see how she coaches before throwing her to the side.

You may view this as a valid point or not, I know it's very picky to choose just the past 4 seasons to compare. I just found it very interesting that everybody wants to bring up winning percentage even though they've been even the past 4 seasons with a considerable difference in talent.

I hope this isn't a trip down memory lane....
I don't think so. To say she failed at NC State doesn't mean much. To fail here would be pretty difficult IMHO. She's done well at a mid-major. I would say that someone who has done that well at a mid-major is a very good coach. To think she can't do well with the best players available is pretty ridiculous. If she does well, will she bolt for the next million??? Of course not, she's in her dream job. I'm behind her 110%, and everybody else should be too!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back